Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 14:42   #1

Anchor Gear for a Cal 2-27

I'm looking to install a proper anchoring system on my Cal 2-27 (Displacement ~7,000 lbs). I've been using the cheap Danforth style anchor that came with the boat for a few overnights this summer. It actually worked well because I mainly anchored in Chesapeake mud but I know I need to step up the gear.

I'm debating between a 22 lb and 33 lb Galvanised Lewmar Claw (I know bigger is probably better). I would even consider their Delta. I will be manually retrieving it because I feel my lats could use some definition.

I'm also debating a few simple rollers. like these
Lewmar Stainless Steel Anchor Bow Roller

Lewmar Stainless Steel Bow Roller - Bright Finish

I just thought someone lurking might have completed a similar installation and would have real world experience and/or a stark opinion on it (for a boat ~30 ft/under 10,000 lbs). I tried looking through this forum for answers but that resulted in murky conversations to say the least. I know their is no definitive answer but I thought I should try asking.

trialbuterrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 13:11   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Anchor Gear for a Cal 2-27

If you intend to anchor mainly in mud, a claw (Bruce knockoff) is probably not the best choice, for it has a reduced surface area compared with other anchors.

I would rather consider an anchor giving more surface for the same weight, for example a Mantus. It is roughly twice the price of a Lewmar Claw but not much over a Delta.

Your Danforth style anchor would be valuable as a kedge or stern anchor.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 13:57   #3

Boat: Catalina 310

I did a post on my blog about how I decided on my anchoring system.

Really, you need more info to choose correctly. Stu has posted this info a number of times but here is a link again.

As far as anchor choice, I don't know how anyone can do the research and end up with anything but a new generation anchor (i.e. spade, manson supreme, rocna, mantus, etc.). Their ability to set quickly and reset after a tide/current shift is just to good to consider anything else as a primary.

For the record, I have a Manson Supreme as my primary, a Danforth style as my backup, a Fortress (aluminum Danforth style) as my stern anchor and a fisherman's collapsible as my storm anchor on a 31 foot boat with a displacement of about 11,000 lbs.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 17-09-2014, 14:31   #4

The claw (bruce etc) is not a good choice in mud. I wouldn't go to the 33 lb on your boat either, the next size down should be plenty. Nothing wrong with a Danforth especially in mud, but they are a bit hard to handle sometimes.
I like the Delta style but would probably go with one of the newer design anchors if buying new.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 17:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The claw (bruce etc) is not a good choice in mud. I wouldn't go to the 33 lb on your boat either, the next size down should be plenty. Nothing wrong with a Danforth especially in mud, but they are a bit hard to handle sometimes.
I like the Delta style but would probably go with one of the newer design anchors if buying new.
Delta in the mud (if not extremely dense, as I think it is not a case for Chesapeake) is no better than Bruce really.
On the other hand concave anchor carrying a lot of mud on it can be extremely difficult to retrieve...
So may be Fortress as a "mud anchor" and new gen for all other situations?
Not easy answer, I think
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 08:08   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I should have included more information about where I want to be able to anchor. I currently have two danforth style anchors one bow/one stern. I really want to eventually move this boat south so I need something that works in sand and various other bottoms. I did look at the newer generation of anchors but I guess I was trying to be cheap (go figure). I've seen a couple small boat cruising blogs where they were just using a simple claw...but this seems to be a gear situation where being cheap would probably do more harm than good. I assume my next problem is going to be figuring out how to get one of these things mounted.
Old 18-09-2014, 08:16   #7

Thanks, smitty.

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

What's your entire boat worth to you? is the question you have to ask, seems though that you're past the cheap stage.

Take a loo at a WM or Defender catalog or online, bow rollers.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 10:03   #8

Boat: PSC Orion 27

From BoatUS results of Fortress Chesapeake anchor testing.

"The“next-generation” anchors did not perform
any better than the older designs, and there
was some speculation as to whether those
anchors were landing upside down and not
righting themselves."

.......aaaaand go.

goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 11:38   #9

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
From BoatUS results of Fortress Chesapeake anchor testing.

"The“next-generation” anchors did not perform
any better than the older designs, and there
was some speculation as to whether those
anchors were landing upside down and not
righting themselves."

.......aaaaand go.

You need to follow the picture thread that noellex77 is running right now. The new gen anchors set so much better there is no longer any reason to use anything but a new gen anchor as your primary. I've owned a Manson Supreme for 3 years and I will tell you unequivocally that it beats any other anchor I have owned in more than 35 years of sailing, including danforth, cqr, bruce, claw, and northill.

Save your money, and maybe your boat. Buy a new gen now and an all chain rode.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:26   #10

Sorry to bump this but I just got my 25lb Mason Supreme and bow roller this weekend. I did some dry fitting for the installation of roller and I knew it was going to involve some work like modifying the area (moving light/backing material/leveling etc). This might be a really dumb question but do I really need the bow roller? Could I just have some sort of anchor mount and toss it off the side? Or just have a simple roller mounted to reduce chafing or something? I think it might be the 8 cups of coffee and no lunch while being at work that has me thinking loco.........

Old 13-10-2014, 10:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbuterrors View Post
Sorry to bump this but I just got my 25lb Mason Supreme and bow roller this weekend. I did some dry fitting for the installation of roller and I knew it was going to involve some work like modifying the area (moving light/backing material/leveling etc). This might be a really dumb question but do I really need the bow roller? Could I just have some sort of anchor mount and toss it off the side? Or just have a simple roller mounted to reduce chafing or something? I think it might be the 8 cups of coffee and no lunch while being at work that has me thinking loco.........

You need the roller, but if, as you say, you are willing to store the anchor elsewhere... just use the roller when you launch/ retrieve it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cal, gear