Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 08:57   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Anchor lights

Living as we do overlooking a popular anchorage in the ICW we see all kinds of anchor lights ranging from none at all to having all the normal underway running nav lights burning. Others use those cheapo solar powered garden lights that are so dim and go out we observe at about 3 am currently. ONe last night had 6 of the silly lights spaced around the guardrails

I can testify toothat the masthead anchor lights on sailboats are not easily picked out against the background of lights on shore, even from our lofty viewpoint from our balcony on the third floor of our condo complex.

So why the differences, what is the logic of using lights that are ineffective or downright confusing? I should add that larger vessels do travel past here at night, often these are tugs/barges and the anchored vessels are, understandably, nearly always close to the deepwater channel and since most anchor on long rope rodes can at times wander into the channel proper.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 09:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Anchor lights

Those silly garden lights are good for seeing well enough to get on and off of the dinghy and of course burn no battery power at all, plus from water level in a dinghy, they do make the boat visible, anchor light is so high up in the air it's hard to see.
I have two of the silly lights in my rod holders, but of course do not rely on them being an anchor light.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 09:56   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Those silly garden lights are good for seeing well enough to get on and off of the dinghy and of course burn no battery power at all, plus from water level in a dinghy, they do make the boat visible, anchor light is so high up in the air it's hard to see.
I have two of the silly lights in my rod holders, but of course do not rely on them being an anchor light.
Lots of folks think of the solar garden lights as anti dingy lights. They also provide enough illumination to move around the boat especially if you know your boat well.

I have four of the lights on my cat and two more similar lights that shine down on the solar panel mount that shine down on the sugar scoops. I also have a high quality anchor at the top of the mast. As a rule it is much easier for me to pick out my boat using the solar lights than the "good" anchor light at the top of the mast.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 09:59   #4

Quote:
I have one I bought to stick in the ensign staff holder but as it only stays alight about 2 hours after charging all day in Florida sun I probably will ditch it and waste my 99c
Old 14-05-2014, 10:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
I have one I bought to stick in the ensign staff holder but as it only stays alight about 2 hours after charging all day in Florida sun I probably will ditch it and waste my 99c
Lowes has a couple of different ones, the expensive (8 bucks) ones are supposedly twice as bright as the cheaper (4 bucks ) ones and seem to last 8 hours.
If I'm out more than eight hours after sunset, it's doubtful I would make it back to the boat no matter how it was lit, as I must be
Old 14-05-2014, 10:38   #6

Quote:
Lowes has a couple of different ones, the expensive (8 bucks) ones are supposedly twice as bright as the cheaper (4 bucks ) ones and seem to last 8 hours.
If I'm out more than eight hours after sunset, it's doubtful I would make it back to the boat no matter how it was lit, as I must be
So if we were to be arriviing in the dark hours before dawn and beyondthe 8hrs battery life after sunset we might well run into you? Good job we would have radar running then for just such an eventuality.
Old 14-05-2014, 10:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I come into a lot of anchorages at night. Masthead lights get lost if there any background lights. Solar garden lights are worse they are too dim to be seen reliably.

The legal requirements were written when anchorages were deserted and anchor lights consumed an amp or more. We can do much better.

With LEDs any boat can afford the minimum power consumption of bright anchor lights.
One, or two, low down 3 mile anchor lights are the best option. Next best is is a 3 mile visible masthead anchor light supplemented with some bright garden lights with upgraded batteries so they last all night.

Third best may involve a big bang in the night
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 10:53   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can you spot the anchor light?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	81293  
Old 14-05-2014, 10:53   #9

we are not into a routine over this side yet post my stroke but in the old days 'tother side of the pond we frequently arrived and departed at night.

I did buy a super bright rechargeable LED spotlight recently on sale which will help and if nothing else will wake up the sleeping crew on an unlit boat.
Old 14-05-2014, 10:57   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

My garden lights have no problem lasting all night. This is in the Keys with plenty of sunlight. They are not used in place of a real masthead anchor light. They are used by me to provide a night light type device and possibly be noticed by folks riding around in a dingy as they get too close to my boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 11:11   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
So if we were to be arriviing in the dark hours before dawn and beyondthe 8hrs battery life after sunset we might well run into you? Good job we would have radar running then for just such an eventuality.

I hope not. The silly little lights are not used in place of an anchor light. They are in addition to one.
I do my best to make it difficult for you to hit me, I try to get as far out of the channel as possible.
Old 14-05-2014, 11:25   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Can you spot the anchor light?
Probably yes, "probably" being the key word
I use my legal anchor light + LED cockpit lights. Small draw, all the bimini and sprayhood + sugar scoop visible. Sometime, with backlighting like on Your photo, I can add LED floodlight for the area before mast, but it is necessary to cover the hatches in our cabin, to have a dark inside

By the way, where did You take this photo? Can not recognize the place...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 11:34   #13

Quote:
I hope not. The silly little lights are not used in place of an anchor light. They are in addition to one.
I do my best to make it difficult for you to hit me, I try to get as far out of the channel as possible.
Thanks that is appreciated, I don't think we would have a problem in the channels per se as we would be being super cautious, have radar running out in the cockpit display and have our spotlight ready to hand but the barges that pass by the busy anchorge in front of our our home here would make a big dent especially the ones where the tugs push the barges from the back and therefore the tug crew have limited visual sight of what is immediately up front of the barge several hundred feet ahead.
Old 14-05-2014, 13:08   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66954206-A900-4A76-8B33-01A14DEC17C8.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	81301  
Old 14-05-2014, 13:17   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post

By the way, where did You take this photo? Can not recognize the place...
It was Rhodes (Lindos)

Tags
anchor