Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 18:51   #151

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Anchor Lights in a Mooring Field (USA)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I’ve been hit at night, and came very close to being creamed. And I understand why- anchor lights disappear into shore lights and starry skies. In anchorages near traffic I hit the decklights and light up the boat. Don’t know if that’s against COLREGS or not, and I don’t care.

Rule 30(c) for both Inland and International rules requires this of any boat 100+ meters long and allows it for all boats in addition to the required anchor light. So you're covered there.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 19:13   #152

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Rule 30(c) for both Inland and International rules requires this of any boat 100+ meters long and allows it for all boats in addition to the required anchor light. So you're covered there.
You mean I did something legal? Effing miracle!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 19:30   #153

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
Bilge pump is the only thing hard wired.

I’d have to modify the electrical system to get always-on power to the anchor light switch.

I just don’t have a need for this. As for solar, it isn’t hard to install...but given my typical sailing and boat use, I don’t need it. I can’t justify the expense.

Oddly enough, my previous boat was once hit on its mooring. It was totaled...

In broad daylight, clear and a million, by a guy who was sailing recklessly through the mooring field and not paying attention. At night, I’m certain he would not have seen the anchor light—by the time you weed through the other unlit boats, that little twinkle is so high above the horizon it may as well not even be there.

Listen, I get it. Many people on here have more money than they know what to do with. Or they live on their boats and sailing is their life. I’m not either one. This is a hobby that I do on a budget. To me, dropping a bunch of coin on solar panels and controllers and drilling holes in my boat and modifying my electrical system just to be the literal ONE boat in a mooring field of hundreds with an anchor light is about the furthest from practical I could get.

If it’s not required (and it’s not, US special anchorage) and I don’t have a personal reason for doing it, I’m not doing it. End of story.
You are wrong and in my opinion, foolish.

First, the anchor light is required unless in a designated special anchorage area, which you are not (your moorage field is not a designated special anchorage area). You are obligated to show an anchor light.

Second, that anchor light protects you and others. Maybe your boat is only a hobby but people who run into an unlighted boat may not feel so cavalier.

Third, a good anchor light for a crowded anchorage area is not at the top of the mast, it is down at just above deck level where people are looking when going through that area.

Fourth, It is not just joy riders going through there at night, it can be people returning to drop off passengers or just returning to their boats.

My advice is leave your battery switched on and turn on the bilge pump and the anchor light and wire in a solar panel to keep things charged up if you leave your boat un-attended for long periods which I don't advise anyway.
Old 17-12-2021, 19:46   #154

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Anchored barges have FLESHING lights.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 19:52   #155

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Legally or realistically?

Anchor lights are often useless. They blend with stars or cottage lights.

Most anchor lights are near masthead. Nobody sees them. Certainly not drunk powerboaters.

In reality, anchor lights are useless.

The rules were written before the world was alight. Really what we need is revised rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
You are wrong and in my opinion, foolish.

First, the anchor light is required unless in a designated special anchorage area, which you are not (your moorage field is not a designated special anchorage area). You are obligated to show an anchor light.

Second, that anchor light protects you and others. Maybe your boat is only a hobby but people who run into an unlighted boat may not feel so cavalier.

Third, a good anchor light for a crowded anchorage area is not at the top of the mast, it is down at just above deck level where people are looking when going through that area.

Fourth, It is not just joy riders going through there at night, it can be people returning to drop off passengers or just returning to their boats.

My advice is leave your battery switched on and turn on the bilge pump and the anchor light and wire in a solar panel to keep things charged up if you leave your boat un-attended for long periods which I don't advise anyway.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 21:03   #156
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Legally or realistically?

Anchor lights are often useless. Nope. Sailors look for them. Not enough, perhaps, but not useless. They blend with stars or cottage lights. The anchor light will move against the stars and background.

Most anchor lights are near masthead. Nobody sees them. Not true. Certainly not drunk powerboaters. We agree, but let's just say drunks in general.

In reality, anchor lights are useless. Nope.

The rules were written before the world was alight. Yes, they were part of the Steam Boat Navigation act in the late 19th century. I don't believe the basic requirements have changed. Really what we need is revised rules. In an important way, they have been. You are allowed to show deck lights, and LED lights have changed the math on that. Additionally, the brightness requirement is a minimum; no one said you could not get something brighter. Again, LEDs make that easy.

Brash, but actually some interesting points. See above.
Old 18-12-2021, 00:59   #157

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As I have posted before, masthead anchor lights do not disappear into the stars... at least mine does not. At the range where collision avoidance is crucial, it is one hell of a lot brighter and larger than ANY star. If the oncoming vessel is conned under a bimini or from an enclosed bridge it will disappear at some point, but any attentive watchkeeper will have long before noted it. If there is no such watchkeeper, well, then all remedies are futile.

But the combination of a masthead light and one lower in the rigging (ours is hung from a lazy jack riser, just above the boom) is a good (and wholly legal) combination, one that can be seen from even the bridge of a sports fisherman... at least one with a sober driver!

Dismissing them as useless is just an excuse to be lazy. They are not useless, they are legally required and they are so easy to execute... seems foolish to not display a pair of anchor lights no matter where you are anchored or moored.

Jim
Old 18-12-2021, 01:08   #158

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As I have posted before, masthead anchor lights do not disappear into the stars... at least mine does not. At the range where collision avoidance is crucial, it is one hell of a lot brighter and larger than ANY star. If the oncoming vessel is conned under a bimini or from an enclosed bridge it will disappear at some point, but any attentive watchkeeper will have long before noted it. If there is no such watchkeeper, well, then all remedies are futile.

But the combination of a masthead light and one lower in the rigging (ours is hung from a lazy jack riser, just above the boom) is a good (and wholly legal) combination, one that can be seen from even the bridge of a sports fisherman... at least one with a sober driver!

Dismissing them as useless is just an excuse to be lazy. They are not useless, they are legally required and they are so easy to execute... seems foolish to not display a pair of anchor lights no matter where you are anchored or moored.

Jim
I emphatically agree with Jim. Again!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 03:15   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Decades ago, I sometimes used an amber, flashing [could be set 'on'], construction traffic barrier obstruction/warning light c/w 6 volt lantern battery [lasted about 6 months], as an anchor marker.
Now, they’re available /w LEDs, and solar power.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 05:13   #160
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't care if the anchor lights are required or not, i turn mine on!

- they are LED lights and only use 1/4 amp
- i have 2, one each side of boat
- they are about 12’ above the water level and never get lost in stars or land lights and anyone driving around will see them
- besides my anchor lights I have lights along the lifelines, but you have to be close to seeing

I think masthead anchor lights are somewhere between useless and stupid far as helping to prevent a boat hitting you at night. But guess they may be better than nothing.

I am thinking of installing a third ligh at the bow.
Old 18-12-2021, 05:38   #161

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

I NEVER use the masthead anchor light. I hang a bright LED lantern in the foretriangle, as reccomended and used for centuries. Sailing vessels used an oil or candle lantern in this manner before electric lamps were available.

Not such an issue for motorboats, they dont have 15 metre masts!

My lantern is a home modified ex D cell battery one, converted with a fresh bulb holder and LED bulb connected to the windlass power feed with crocodile clips. The twin flex passes easily through the Lewmar hatch and the seal allows the hatch to be closed.

It throws a wide patch of light, illuminating the foredeck and uses little current. It is also around eye level for an approaching leisure vessel.

Before convesion one set of three D cells would last six nights.

It is brighter and more cost effective now.

We are often complimented on its visibility and brightness.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 07:54   #162

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Technically a masthead anchor light and a second all around white light lower and further aft is a legal anchor light config per the COLREGS (and it's required for anything 50+ meters). I do agree that having just a masthead anchor light isn't ideal on a sailboat, as it's pretty high up there when you're in close quarters on a moonless night (where you can't see hull shapes well).

In the case of my powerboat, my anchor light is about 14 feet off the water, so much more likely to be in someone's field of view than a tall masted sailboat. And it's a 3nm brightness all around instead of the required 2nm, so it's a whole lot brighter and harder to miss than many anchor lights I see. Being LED, it still only draws 0.25 amps for that much light. I also typically have the chartplotter on for an anchor alarm, so I leave the display brightness turned up which gives the helm area a bit of a glow.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:08   #163

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ve said I don’t like non-specified lighting, but never mentioned what I do personally.

1) bright LED masthead light. This helps people see the boat from a couple miles away to let them plan accordingly.

2) LED spreader (deck) lights to light up the cabin top, deck, half the mast and the entire outline of the boat.

Next time you’re in the big city, look at how the actual professionals do it (100ft+ charter boats, both sail and power).

They light the entire boat up. There is no mistaking a boat there. It’s easy these days with LED lights.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 09:34   #164

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ve said I don’t like non-specified lighting, but never mentioned what I do personally.

1) bright LED masthead light. This helps people see the boat from a couple miles away to let them plan accordingly.

2) LED spreader (deck) lights to light up the cabin top, deck, half the mast and the entire outline of the boat.

Next time you’re in the big city, look at how the actual professionals do it (100ft+ charter boats, both sail and power).

They light the entire boat up. There is no mistaking a boat there. It’s easy these days with LED lights.

When living on the hook for extended periods - we went 4 months without shorepower this season - being profligate with the amps and volts is a non starter.

LED's are great, all our interior and nav lights are LED. The anchor lamp up the stick will be changed next time I climb it.

We have a 440 A/H house bank. We run two fridges and a freezer. I am adding 320W of Solar for next season.

I might be able to leave another light on next year!
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 10:25   #165

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
You mean I did something legal? Effing miracle!

Not so fast. There are 35 forum members researching this. [emoji41]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring