Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 08:58   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS
Question Anchor Locker Drains

Ok, the anchor chain locker is a lot cleaner now. The marks still on the floor and walls are rust from a wet anchor chain sitting in water.

Notice on the bottom of the picture the drain holes on either side. They are about an inch up from the bottom of the locker. When I removed the chain there was an inch of mud and debris sitting there. Also, it was very clear that standing water was present by the significantly rusted anchor chain at that point (I had to break apart the chain with a sledge hammer).

Question – Is there a valid reason that the drain plugs don’t drain the locker out completely? I am thinking of putting something in that would ensure that no water remained behind.

Thoughts? Am I too focused on cleanliness? Should I just let a muddy anchor chain locker be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorLocker.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	113218  
MickMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:20   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Anchor Locker Drains

Put a door mat or something on the bottom to hold the chain up and out of the water.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:24   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

My on deck locker has the drain on the bottom. It can get plugged with debri but is easily cleared.
I wonder if access under the bottom, or rather lack of access, is the reason yours are on the side.
One idea would be a grate of some type a couple of inches off the bottom.
I'm sure you don't want expensive ground tackle stored on mud.
Old 19-11-2015, 07:31   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

Thanks for feedback. It is clear from responses that it should drain completely and I am working on a solution. I have all winter to work this one out.
MickMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:00   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Hard to tell from your photo, but that floor needs to be sloping down going forward, or any water entering while heeling will not drain out the holes
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 13:08   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Mick,

I'm with you wanting all that gunk to drain from the anchor locker.

Therefore you either need to raise the waterproof bottom up to the holes, or add at least 1 lower hole.

Some quick thoughts and options similar to how it was done on our boat:

1- Line anchor locker sides and bottom with rubber drain matt- making sure the bottom has enough layers of matting to keep your chain above the water... This will help extend the life of your rode and allow you to fresh water rinse it in rain or when you have a fw source.

Unique to your case [in addition to above]:

Either pour some [cheap] resin in the bottom of the locker to raise it up closer to the drain holes...

OR...

Remove the through-hull fitting at current locker drain holes. Then drill second [smaller? 1/2"?] hole down at locker bottom level under existing holes. Cover both holes on each side with a clamshell [heavy plastic or stainless. Our boat has low profile plastic clamshells with the opening facing aft and it works great.]

The lower holes serve as main drains holes, but if they plug, the upper holes still drain the locker- until you can flush out the lower holes again...

Just brainstorming with you- in case it is helpful...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 20-11-2015, 13:40   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We had to rebuild our anchor locker earlier this year, and we chose to put in dri-dek, rather than painting, precisely because it would also provide additional drainage.

Tags
anchor, anchor locker