Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 02:27   #1

Anchor-out boat seized. Lawsuit (Sausalito CA)

Interesting read on Marin County's most recent effort to remove derelict and permanent anchor-out boats from Richardson Bay in Sausalito.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus..._hsmi=81639664
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 21:54   #2

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran
Re: Anchor-out boat seized. Lawsuit (Sausalito CA)

There really should be an effort to find a reasonable approach to management of the Richardson Bay area. I genuinely hope that overly broad "72-hour" anchoring rule (which dramatically erodes the right to travel in navigable waters) is finally officially struck down. Having personally visited Richardson Bay (and anchored longer than 72 hours in the course of travel..) I can personally state that it is my very strong belief that simply enforcing legitimate laws that appropriately balance state interests with the interests of protecting the rights of individuals would solve the vast majority of the problems in Richardson Bay...

A handful of laws already legitimately on the books would address almost all if not all valid "marine debris" issues without engaging in an outright persecution of people that simply have a "different" lifestyle. Whether it be local sailors that want to live on their boat and anchor in various places or cruisers that want to visit the area, the concept of make harsh laws that are selectively enforced is a true tragedy. Literally all that needs to be done is enforcement of vessel registration/documentation requirements, USCG making sure that vessels having minimum USCG required safety equipment, ensuring lawful marine holding tank usage with pump-out/appropriate compost/liquids disposal/offshore discharge, and enforcing drug laws (which ideally could be handled in a manner that helps provide solutions as opposed to simply criminalizing addiction...).
Old 24-01-2021, 22:10   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

I guess I’m confused. The story says the boat broke free from its mooring and wound up entangled/aground at the Richmond Wharf - some 5 miles away - and was removed from the wharf by the Army Corp. How was the city of Sausalito involved in wreckage found in another city (and even another county) and removed by a different agency? Many, many missing details here.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:03   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Interesting contrast. The city thinks its a derelict vessel only worth crushing and sending to the dump. The owner believes the City owes them $2 million for their loss,
Old 25-01-2021, 05:11   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Interesting read on Marin County's most recent effort to remove derelict and permanent anchor-out boats from Richardson Bay in Sausalito.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus..._hsmi=81639664
well if they make a mistake they need to correct/pay for that. But I completely support the "get rid of derelict boats" effort anywhere
Old 25-01-2021, 05:35   #6

72hr seems pretty reasonable to allow for normal navigation. I'm sure if there was a major storm coming in, authorities would likely be reasonable if conditions were not safe for a boat to move.

Anchoring and living in one spot for months on end with a boat incapable of propulsion is not part of normal navigation and someone wanting to live for free in prime locations on the water have no special rights to occupy that area denying access to others.

But as indicated, sounds like the corp of engineers took the boat into possession and disposed of it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 05:35   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
well if they make a mistake they need to correct/pay for that. But I completely support the "get rid of derelict boats" effort anywhere
Me, too!

I wish we, as a community, could organize well enough to get rid of our own derelict boats, wrecks and floating meth labs.

Those boats not only ruin it for us in terms of more and more regulation based on them, but also ruin a lot of our anchorages.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 07:04   #8

Boat: boatless currently

This thread was started a year ago. Gollubs v. Sausalito was dismissed back in March 2020.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...ausalito_et_al
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, boat