SARCA Excel 16 3.16%
Super SARCA 4 0.79%
Manson Boss 4 0.79%
Plastimo Kobra 6 1.19%
Bugel 5 0.99%
Super Max 1 0.20%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2013, 15:23   #256

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
There may be peripheral reasons for the demise of Bruce anchors for oil rigs - I can imagine it was a pig of a shape to be handling in heavy weather. The flatter replacements might have an advantage in that respect.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 15:27   #257
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Anchor manufacturers would like us believe that all anchors scale up and down without change in behaviour. I don't believe this is always the case.
You're absolutely right. In fact, I believe that it's seldom the case that anchors can scale up and down without a change in performance.
Old 25-01-2013, 16:31   #258

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

You're absolutely right. In fact, I believe that it's seldom the case that anchors can scale up and down without a change in performance.
This brings up the issue of which is more important in scaling an anchor - mass, surface area or design.

I have known experienced sailors who thought it did not matter a damn as long as there was a minimum effective mass. Modern anchors obviously place greater accent on design and surface area.

It would be interesting to see some trials in scaling those elements.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 16:51   #259
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Anchor Poll

Stillbuilding,

Go to vryhof.com and you will find a rather large document on oil rig anchors. There is a table in the document showing surface area vs holding capacity. You could also look up John Knox' articles in PBO in one of which he shows exactly the same thing, though his might be weight vs holding capacity. Its a well researched subject and there have been a number of theoretical studies at Universities - its surface area that is important, weight is only relevant in that as the design gets bigger it gets heavier. If you did not need weight to impart strength (thicker steel is stronger than thinner steel) you could have very lightweight anchors.

Its not a fair comparison but a Fortress has the same holding capacity as a similar sized Danforth (actually the Fortress will be better) but the Fortress weighs half that of the Danforth. Equally an alloy Excel, or Spade has a similar holding capacity to its same sized steel and galvanised Excel or Spade - the alloy weighs less than half the gal version - but in terms of holding capacity you cannot tell the difference

Its not weight - its surface area (and design).
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 16:57   #260
cruiser

Noelex,

I have heard the same comment on Bruce anchors, bigger ones work better than smaller ones. I'd suggest that the toes of the smaller ones are 'too blunt' to penetrate some seabeds. I have no experience but a naval Commander, who had responsibility for landing craft, suggested that the breakpoint was 70kg - above which they worked satisfactorily but below that weight they were questionable. But this is anecdotal and should be treated as such, I'm not too supportive of relating another persons experience as fact - can lead toward trolling.
Old 26-01-2013, 07:18   #261

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Can the poll results be restructured to show answers for both primary, secondary, and "other" anchors?

-Chris
Old 26-01-2013, 07:47   #262

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Can the poll results be restructured to show answers for both primary, secondary, and "other" anchors?

-Chris
It would be two much info.
Best to just start a new thread for secoundary and other
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:13   #263

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Yes, but your first may be your last.
Bruces are popular because they are cheap
Bruces were designed for anchoring in rock, just where most cruisers do not anchor.

A Bruce would be my last choice

Bruce anchors were not always cheap. I purchased my first Bruce second hand some 25+ years ago before the cheap knock offs arrived. Mine was a 33# anchor and I paid the bargain price of $300 for it. And it performed extremely well here in Massachusetts.........that is until our harbors filled with ell grass.

IMHO a Bruce today is not going to reliably hold anything around here where ell grass proliferates.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 08:31   #264

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

My experience with the Bruce after hundreds of anchoring with them, is I found them to be far, far more predictable than a Delta.

I found that IF the Bruce is going to fail, it will fail immediately when put under engine powered strain. I never had it fail AFTER setting! My problem was that I could never get it to set in ell grass and withstand the strain placed on it will backing up under full power with my 15HP Kubota diesel in my Hunter 30.

Not so with the #$%& Delta and I mean huge Deltas such as an 88#. I could pull on that thing with my twin Crusaders. IT WOULD SET most times. Sure enough, under a steady wind/current load it would slowly slip. I don't dive, I believe though, it was plowing up the bottom. Unreliable! I do not recommend them. Anybody who wants to sleep at night should consider one of the many modern anchors offered today.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 13:55   #265
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Its an interesting question and as Cotemar says difficult to re-arrange the current poll without ambiguity. Reading some of the answers and comments in this (and other CF anchor threads) a surprising number of people appear to carry a Fortress (or Guardian?), which is not stated as a primary anchor, and thus goes completely unreported. The popularity of the Fortress is not reflected in the poll. Many people who have bought newer anchors simply retire their old model to become their second anchor. The second anchor is thus chosen by default and surely would not be the choice if starting with a bare bow and locker.

The other problem with the poll, and any poll, is that it actually does not reflect usage by contributors to the CF. If you read the SARCA Excel thread from the beginning, the timing of the poll and the Excel thread are similar, you will find that the number of people using an Excel exceeds by a long way the numbers in the poll. People have contributed to the SARCA EXCEL thread but not the poll and this anomaly presumably extends to other anchor designs (its difficult to tell as there are no other design specific threads current). Why this happens is most odd.
Old 26-01-2013, 14:02   #266

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The other problem with the poll, and any poll, is that it actually does not reflect usage by contributors to the CF. If you read the SARCA Excel thread from the beginning, the timing of the poll and the Excel thread are similar, you will find that the number of people using an Excel exceeds by a long way the numbers in the poll. People have contributed to the SARCA EXCEL thread but not the poll and this anomaly presumably extends to other anchor designs (its difficult to tell as there are no other design specific threads current). Why this happens is most odd.
Internet polls are notoriously unreliable for a variety of reasons. Fun to read, but I wouldn't put any meaning in them.
Old 26-01-2013, 18:45   #267
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Five boats ago is a long time and Bruce anchors where at the top of the food chain then.

Now a new 44lbs Bruce is $133 usd. Not sure how they can even make them for that price.

Lewmar Horizon Claw Anchor
Does that mean that over the years the Bruce has lost it's holding power.

On another note I know some people who swear by Bruce and would not allow a CQR on their boat, and people that swear by CQR and would not allow a Bruce on their boat, then again people with one of each (the people I know with that anchor combination are experienced cruisers). I have been told the weak point of the CQR is the strong point of the Bruce and the weak point of the Bruce is the strong point of the CQR.
Old 26-01-2013, 19:19   #268

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post

On another note I know some people who swear by Bruce and would not allow a CQR on their boat, and people that swear by CQR and would not allow a Bruce on their boat, then again people with one of each (the people I know with that anchor combination are experienced cruisers). I have been told the weak point of the CQR is the strong point of the Bruce and the weak point of the Bruce is the strong point of the CQR.
One of each! Like this?

Hard to tell the Manson from the Bruce except for the $$$. Looks like you could hammer the Bruce flukes a bit flatter and turn it into a Manson Ray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4209.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	53532   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROXY ANCHORS.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	53533  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 05:52   #269

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post

It just means that back then Bruce and CQR where the best you could buy and it was exceptable to drag and drag again until it holds. And well if it dragged again in a few days you just reset it. Was par for the course. If the wind kicked up at night you got up and kept a night watch and set the anchor alarm.

Today it just not exceptable to drag at all. You want the new generation anchor to bite in the first time and back down hard on it. Then sleep good for the few days your in that beautiful harbor. No worries mate.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 07:43   #270

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
Amen Paul... All the Bruce bashing comes from non users. We love our Bruce. 66 pounds set first time every time. Every person who uses the Bruce swears by it, is what I have found. Tried bigger CQR and danforth style each for a season, issues with both. We anchor 90 nights a year. It did not drag with gusts over 80 knots, when 90 percent of the boats nearby did. (see last months cruising world article) But I never stop being amazed at how poorly many people anchor. Bottom line is its really only 50% the anchor, the rest is technique. Choose a good spot, lots of scope, use chain, back down hard and long, put a nylon snubber on it and sleep well.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, poll