Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2020, 09:49   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Anchor raised itself

If you install the same switch for a couple of electric furlers and an autopilot you could just let the boat take you wherever it wants, and drop the spud at the new anchorage. If you go ashore, make sure you are back aboard when it is time for the boat to sail itself to the next port of call.
Old 13-01-2020, 09:50   #32

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

In some posts above, the windlass continued to operate even after the breaker was turned off. Can someone explain how can this happen? How can the windlass continue to operate if the power was cutoff? Thanks in advance.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 10:44   #33

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Wire the anchor switches in series with engine start circuit.

Because I do not necessarily want to run the engine while useing the winch.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 11:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
In some posts above, the windlass continued to operate even after the breaker was turned off. Can someone explain how can this happen? How can the windlass continue to operate if the power was cutoff? Thanks in advance.
Maybe I should reword...

How could the windlass continue to operate electrically by raising the anchor when the power was cutoff?
Old 13-01-2020, 12:25   #35

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Windlass/winch remotes for offroad vehicles are available for less than $20 on Ebay/Amazon. Flawless operation for 4 years now.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 12:27   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 12:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disailor View Post
Windlass/winch remotes for offroad vehicles are available for less than $20 on Ebay/Amazon. Flawless operation for 4 years now.

Yes, I use one myself. Had it for around six years and indeed, no issues. Just works. Not waterproof but at that price, it's not an issue to replace.
Old 13-01-2020, 13:45   #38

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Maybe I should reword...

How could the windlass continue to operate electrically by raising the anchor when the power was cutoff?
I'm guessing it's because there are TWO power circuits. One set of heavy cables directly from the battery to power side of the relay (AKA contactor) and a lower-capacity set of control cables from the switch(es) to the coil side of the relay.

It's possible to kill power to the switches, but still have the relay, or any cables between it and the battery, fail.

For safety, both circuits could/should be fused separately. But the point of this thread is that those fuses (or circuit breakers) should be accessible when needed, and preferably left off when not in use.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 14:54   #39

Thank you Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's possible to kill power to the switches, but still have the relay, or any cables between it and the battery, fail.

For safety, both circuits could/should be fused separately. But the point of this thread is that those fuses (or circuit breakers) should be accessible when needed, and preferably left off when not in use.
That begs the question: Do we need the circuit breaker AND a power cut-off switch as suggested above? Wouldn't the circuit breaker make the power switch redundant?
I ask this because I am starting the wiring for my windlass.
Old 13-01-2020, 15:01   #40

Quote:
Thank you Tom.

That begs the question: Do we need the circuit breaker AND a power cut-off switch as suggested above? Wouldn't the circuit breaker make the power switch redundant?

Depends how you wire the circuit. If you take power from the feed to the winch to power your control circuit then yes, one breaker in the main circuit will do it and that is how I've done mine.

However if you take power from the board for your control circuit then you'd have to open or close both breakers as needed.

BTW you should still fuse the control circuit even if you take power from the winch feed.
Old 13-01-2020, 15:17   #41

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Thank you Tom.

On mine the windlass has a circuit breaker in the heavy cable close to the main battery switch from which it is supplied. The control circuit also has a circuit breaker so should either side have a problem its breaker pops. Simple and works as designed to date, however this thread has opened my eyes to a potential problem so now the main circuit breaker will be switched off when not needed.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 15:28   #42

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Never occurred to me why, but mine has a big circuit breaker beside the switch at the helm, I guess now it was put there for this reason by the PO. I'll start switching it.
Switch panel at the helm has a winch switch on ours, have started doing the same.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 16:09   #43

Boat: Norseman 447

In my case, the funny Nilsson control box supplied the control voltage for the solenoid. The circuit breaker on the main panel was just used as a switch. When the control box shorted internally, the solenoid was held in by the main 12v. It isn’t that way anymore.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 17:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
Depends how you wire the circuit. If you take power from the feed to the winch to power your control circuit then yes, one breaker in the main circuit will do it and that is how I've done mine.

However if you take power from the board for your control circuit then you'd have to open or close both breakers as needed.

BTW you should still fuse the control circuit even if you take power from the winch feed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
On mine the windlass has a circuit breaker in the heavy cable close to the main battery switch from which it is supplied. The control circuit also has a circuit breaker so should either side have a problem its breaker pops. Simple and works as designed to date, however this thread has opened my eyes to a potential problem so now the main circuit breaker will be switched off when not needed.
Got it. Power feed from the battery to the main circuit breaker to the solenoid. Shutting off the breaker cuts power to everything as per Maxwell diagram attached. Thank you all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC8 Circuit.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	206902  
Old 13-01-2020, 18:02   #45

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I have often debated with myself a to whether the windlass breaker should be on or off when at anchor. If we had to leave quickly, it would save potentially precious time to have it on. On the other hand, the OP's experience suggests that at least some of the time and as a result of the peculiar circumstances of weathered or otherwise no longer normal switches, it is a bad idea to have it on. Even though the frequency of this problem is probably very low, even one occurrence is indicative. Based on this incident, I'm going to keep the breaker off from now on. Thanks for posting.

Tags
ais, anchor