Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:42   #16

Re: Anchor Recommendations

Chain is probably more important than the type of anchor. I would suggest at least 30 ft of chain. The weight of the chain helps the anchor set. The more chain the better. As far as the type of anchor a lot depends on the bottom conditions in your area of sailing. Over the years I've had danforths, plows and claw type anchors. I've found the claw (Bruce) to be the best. Especially if you have a mud bottom. The harder the pull the deeper it digs and if it pulls out it will clean off quickly and re-set.
Captn morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I sailed an Oday 22 on Carlyle lake many years ago. I used a Danforth type anchor and never had any issues. That lake is soft bottom but good holding. I think a Claw type anchor would also work well. I wouldn't use a lot of chain, just few feet for weight. You might want to rig a trip line as there are a lot of snags in the lake.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 16:26   #18

Boat: Mirage 27
Anchor Recommendations

If we are talking books for beginning sailors, I agree Chapman is a great reference, however the first sailing book I bought and the one that remains my favourite is The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing by David Seidman. I have taken many sailing related courses and read countless books on the subject, but this book is a great read and is beautifully illustrated with hand-drawn sketches. I'm an IT guy and understand the value of good reference books, but books that present the material in an easy to read and concise format are more likely to be read cover to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Reverie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 16:57   #19

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I sailed an Oday 22 on Carlyle lake many years ago. I used a Danforth type anchor and never had any issues. That lake is soft bottom but good holding. I think a Claw type anchor would also work well. I wouldn't use a lot of chain, just few feet for weight. You might want to rig a trip line as there are a lot of snags in the lake.
Where are you sailing these days?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men