Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 08:37   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Anchor Retrival

Good Day all,

I have a Pearson 10M with I am guessing a 25lb Danforth type Anchor. Only about 6ft of vinyl coated chain, then a rope rode. I will upgrade to more chain at some point, but for a lunch hook this system sets fine in the shallow areas of the Long Island sound. Soft mud bottom.

So the issue is getting the anchor to release from the bottom. I have no windlass. The procedure I am using now is to slowly motor forward pulling up until the bow is over the anchor, then I tie it off until the chop pulls the anchor out of the mud and then I pull up the rest of the way. The problem is that when calm there is not enough to make it pop up. Once some idiot pulling a tube gave me a close pass and his wake did it. The last time I motored so the anchor was under the keel and that did it, but it was a struggle. FYI, I am a 5 day a week gym rat, if I am pulling for all I am worth it is buried pretty well. I MAY have a habit of over-setting so I am confident of my set, 2000 rpm. Yanmar 3GM30F.

To make this less of a struggle should I try pivoting the boat around the anchor so I can pull from the other side? A bit afraid of the rode wrapping around the keel or worse the prop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 14:59   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Anchor Retrival

Have two people on the bow while you haul the anchor rode straight up an down and cleat it. Then both (or maybe just one) walk to the stern. Anchor should break free. Repeat if it's really dug in.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
Have two people on the bow while you haul the anchor rode straight up an down and cleat it. Then both (or maybe just one) walk to the stern. Anchor should break free. Repeat if it's really dug in.
Like he said^^^^

Also, patience! If you keep a steady pull straight up, it WILL break free. You don’t have to pull hard. Just wait. After all it’s a beautiful anchorage, No rush to leave!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:53   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Two suggestions:

Haul until the rode is straight up and down, pulled as tight as you can. Then motor in reverse and wait a bit. With 1:1 scope, it will pull the anchor out, and being in reverse you will not have issues with wrapping the rode on prop or keel.

If unable to use the engine for some reason, lead the rode back to one of your primary cockpit winches and use it to apply enough tension to break out the anchor.

Jim
Old 06-07-2018, 16:58   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^^ +1 exactly how I have do it, reversing on short scope is far safer than driving ahead.

I occasionally do the same when I've worked on mooring barges pulling heavy stubborn lumps of cement an concrete out.

Mostly time is the secret, have a cuppa... Those danforth anchors are easy to damage on retreval if you get too aggressive.
Old 06-07-2018, 17:45   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

Thanks guys. This is all helpful. I guess I have to be a bit more patient.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor