Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 14:06   #46

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Anchor Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While the strength of the Dyneema family of cordage is wonderful, I have a reservation about using it for anchor rode: the stuff floats! Thus, when the wind and current don't put any stress on the system, there could be heaps of your slack rode floating on the surface. This is asking for trouble with passing power vessels, be they dinghies, tinnies full of oblivious fishermen or motorboats looking for a good spot to anchor (near you, the obviously expert cruising sailor). The Dyneema may be tough enough to not be cut by their props, but it's still a bad situation to get it wrapped around someone's prop.

As of yet I haven't tried winching uncovered Dyneema, but I wonder how many extra wraps around the winch barrel are required... the stuff is so damn slippery! Anyone with experience in this??

Cheers,

Jim
Floating, it would be good for around coral. There is another thread in regards to it for anchoring. It's discussed here towards the end of the thread. > http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-18184.html
Old 23-01-2012, 07:40   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...) but I wonder how many extra wraps around the winch barrel are required... the stuff is so damn slippery! Anyone with experience in this??

Cheers,

Jim
;-)

Quite many. Unless you go for Spectra in say Poly sheeth (sleeve). Then you get another issue - the core tends to slip within the sleeve!

BTW given how strong Spectra is, one will go for finer rope thus aggravating issues of handling and of chafe.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 07:56   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
While the strength of the Dyneema family of cordage is wonderful, I have a reservation about using it for anchor rode: the stuff floats! Thus, when the wind and current don't put any stress on the system, there could be heaps of your slack rode floating on the surface. This is asking for trouble with passing power vessels, be they dinghies, tinnies full of oblivious fishermen or motorboats looking for a good spot to anchor (near you, the obviously expert cruising sailor). The Dyneema may be tough enough to not be cut by their props, but it's still a bad situation to get it wrapped around someone's prop.
I agree 100%, Jim. A floating rode that will snag a fisherman cutting through an anchorage while he speeds home at dusk is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. Nor do I ever want to have to worry about my own rode wrapping around my prop during a tidal shift.
Old 23-01-2012, 08:04   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes my secondary rode is 400 feet of 1.25" 8-strand nylon braid, spliced onto 22 feet of 3/8" chain. It stores as compact as it can get and never ever jams or knots up in a mess. Stretch is plenty, the only negative is the higher price.

ciao!
Nick.

I'm with you, and the cost is not all that much more. It's so easy to handle, and in an emergency you can just heave it behind you, get it out of the way and know it's not going to get tangled around someone's foot.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:08   #50
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

As of yet I haven't tried winching uncovered Dyneema, but I wonder how many extra wraps around the winch barrel are required... the stuff is so damn slippery! Anyone with experience in this??

Cheers,

Jim

There's another problem with Dyneema for anchor rode. It's extremely strong, but it cuts easily. It could easily chafe through on the slightest sharp edge. i don't know about rounded edges, but it's best used in straight lines.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 18:47   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Thinking about a Catolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

There's another problem with Dyneema for anchor rode. It's extremely strong, but it cuts easily. It could easily chafe through on the slightest sharp edge. i don't know about rounded edges, but it's best used in straight lines.
Dyneema really doesn't cut all that easy. A razor knife doesn't cut it to well at all. A serrated knife is even worse. Once the 12 strand has tension on it becomes very hard collapsing on it self it becomes tougher.

Could be a good anchor line as long as the diameter is to thin. Plus you don't have a couple of hundred pounds in the bow with chain. Not overly desirable place to have all that weight.
SSI / NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 19:22   #52

Boat: Seafarer 26
Actually I have Dyneema 12 strand for life lines and we put in plastic inserts for it so it would not chafe. Yes you can cut it and yea it will chafe. It is 8 times stronger then the stainless I replaced. I would have never considered it for anchor ride since it does not stretch. 3 strand nylon works for a reason and is much cheaper.
They usually recommend Dyneema or Vectron for halyards. Some folks want an outrageous price for it.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:16   #53
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Well were on the subject of rodes,, I was involved in the scrapping of a commercial fishing boat a while ago and was somewhat amazed that the thousand foot of anchor rode was made of many lengths of rode spliced together. The size went from 1" to
1 1/4" back and forth many times. Saw them putting splices on the rode on the big shrimping show on cable a while back. Guess this is standard practice on commercial boats. I always viewed this kinda as taboo before, maybe Im gonna have to rethink that. A chaffed spot midway from rubbing on coral, deck or whatever is Ok to just cut and splice?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42   #54

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'

avb3: EVERYTHING absorbs water.
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40   #55

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I have about 60 meters of chain on my 45 ft cat and need to add another 40 meters.
Pardon the ignorance but if I add rode instead what would be the best way to retrieve it?
My windlass has both chain wheel which we use now and a rope pulley on it.
Any size suggestions on rode as the boat will be about 14 tonnes and it catches the wind a bit too?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Any size suggestions on rode as the boat will be about 14 tonnes and it catches the wind a bit too?
Got bridle?

consider 8-strand plait (there's some discussion on the Net, but I can't remember where I saw it)
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:33   #57

Got bridle,yes
How do you go pulling up changing from chain to rode?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
I have about 60 meters of chain on my 45 ft cat and need to add another 40 meters.
Pardon the ignorance but if I add rode instead what would be the best way to retrieve it?
My windlass has both chain wheel which we use now and a rope pulley on it.
If you have 3/8" chain then 3/4" rope rode could be used. If you have 5/16" chain, you should use 5/8" rope rode.

If your windlass has two separate gypsies (not a combination gypsy) then I can't advise you of the best way to make the transfer while the rode is under load (I've only used a combination gypsy). You could relieve the strain with the bridle you could do it, but it would be awkward and you might consider either changing to a combination gypsy or going all chain for convenience.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:48   #59

I have separate gypsies so a transfer is the problem.
Maybe all chain is the go but trying to minimise weight.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52   #60

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
I have separate gypsies so a transfer is the problem.
Maybe all chain is the go but trying to minimise weight.
Some gypsy's have a combo, with rode/rope grippers. What make and model is your windlass???? The manual should tell you what you can use.

Tags
anchor, rode