Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42   #46

Re: Anchor Rodes and Restless Nights

Let me clairfy If I am anchored for the day and will be on deck 100% of the time I dont set it, if over nighting I do back down on it but so far both ways it has set deep every time
When I first replaced the 45lb danforth with the mason surpreme I was disapointed , but now I can see what all the talk is about the new gens anchors of course all my stuff is over sized according to manufacturects spects better that then to small
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53   #47

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Dockhead is absolutely correct and this has been our practice for many years. Drop the anchor, pay out enough scope, put engine in reverse, throttle up to about half average RPMs, ease off the throttle slowly if the anchor is set. We usually site something on shore to be certain we are not dragging. We sleep better this way. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Dockhead is absolutely correct and this has been our practice for many years. Drop the anchor, pay out enough scope, put engine in reverse, throttle up to about half average RPMs, ease off the throttle slowly if the anchor is set. We usually site something on shore to be certain we are not dragging. We sleep better this way. Chuck
That is my practice as well But when anchored for an afternoon , it seems redundent with the mason and chain Dam its hard to break that thing loose by hand
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01   #49

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

I do understand the reluctance to go through all of that for an afternoon, but other than just a lunch stop, we do the entire setting process. I can't tell you how many afternoons have been interrupted by thunderstorms packing 30, 40 and even 50 knot winds, especially in the Chesapeake and South Florida. But that is just our choice. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:16   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
That is my practice as well But when anchored for an afternoon , it seems redundent with the mason and chain Dam its hard to break that thing loose by hand
While in most cases you will be OK without setting the hook, there are things to consider. Take the not so uncommon event of your anchor coming to rest on a plastic bag on the bottom. It will just lie there, doing bugger-all while you lie to the chain. When the thunderstorm comes, with an on-shore wind, you take off like a shot and end up on the beach.

Yes, not gonna happen every sunday, but there are a lot of reasons that an anchor (even a good one) will fail to bury. It is so easy to do the backing down thing that IMO it is silly not to do it.

Our most recent event of this type was in Coffs Harbour, NSW. Nasty E'ly wind with a big swell coming in through the heads. When we backed down, the Manson dragged immediately. Pulled it up and found it fouled in a pair of board shorts. No naked surfer was seen nearby, so I reckon they'd been there a while. Winds later got up to 30+, and I was glad to know that my anchor was well set ahead of time.

Cheers,

JIm

Tags
anchor