Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 07:09   #1

Anchor Roller Bent

I have a 1980 Tartan 37. I bent the bow roller along the contour of the bow a few days ago. The anchor chain got stuck in some rocks, the slack was taken up while trying to break the chain free we drove over it a wave hit and the roller bent.

I've attached some pics of the damage along with some measurements. It looks like the roller is about 3.25 wide and about a foot long to the middle of the roller. Because of the placement of the chocks I don't think I can fit the roller body further back and probably need something similar to the current install. I have a Rocna 44 pound anchor.

The front screw may have lifted out a bit, but it doesn't look like it is through bolted just threaded into the metal piece on the bow. Will need to disassemble and see whether the threads are messed up.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

A few questions.
Do you think it's possible to bend the roller back?

Should I just take it to a machine shop and have them weld in a new bottom plate?Maybe a bit thicker this time.

Does anyone know what part number was used for the roller on Tartan 37's?

I'm currently in Mexico outside of Puerto Vallarta so may be able to get some assistance there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_115502712.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	205761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_115839019_HDR.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	205762  

Name:	IMG_20191226_115514997_HDR.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	205763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191226_115851173_HDR.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	205764  

felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 21:53   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Anchor Roller Bent

I would take it to a metal shop and ask them to bring it back to shape. In my opinion no need to replace. All it does is to give direction to the chain and keep the GRP on the bow from damage. It is not exactly under stress unless you pull the chain in a wrong angle (as you did...).
Old 29-12-2019, 22:38   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If you are going to the trouble of removing the compromised assembly you may just want a fabrication shop to use it as a guide to fabricate a more robust replacement while maintaining the fastening locations so the holes line up. This unit has proven it is not up to the task for which it was intended.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 23:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
.... This unit has proven it is not up to the task for which it was intended.
IMHO no standard bowroller will remain straight if you pull the chain in an unintended angle. They are not engineered to withstand side forces.
Old 05-01-2020, 23:45   #5

Boat: Farr 43`

Get a high tensile steel bolt longer than the original.
Weld bolt to 4-5 feet of steam pipe.
Insert assembly into fairlead with roller in place and tighten.
Bend back into alignment, or reasonable facsimile, in-situ.
If more leverage is required insert lever from starboard and attach to halyard and winch.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:02   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I have a 1980 Tartan 37. I bent the bow roller along the contour of the bow a few days ago. The anchor chain got stuck in some rocks, the slack was taken up while trying to break the chain free we drove over it a wave hit and the roller bent.

I've attached some pics of the damage along with some measurements. It looks like the roller is about 3.25 wide and about a foot long to the middle of the roller. Because of the placement of the chocks I don't think I can fit the roller body further back and probably need something similar to the current install. I have a Rocna 44 pound anchor.

The front screw may have lifted out a bit, but it doesn't look like it is through bolted just threaded into the metal piece on the bow. Will need to disassemble and see whether the threads are messed up.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

A few questions.
Do you think it's possible to bend the roller back?

Should I just take it to a machine shop and have them weld in a new bottom plate?Maybe a bit thicker this time.

Does anyone know what part number was used for the roller on Tartan 37's?

I'm currently in Mexico outside of Puerto Vallarta so may be able to get some assistance there.
You can easily bend it back to close to original shape as described by Rucksta, but the effort is futile because it will happen again.

The design is flawed in two ways, 3/16" is too thin for this application, and, perhaps more importantly, the left side plate ends before it can add any stiffness to the assembly, precisely where stiffness is needed most.

If the dimensions are correct as is, probably the best fix would be to have one built out of 5/16" stainless, with both sides extending the full length of the bottom plate. If access is needed for insertion and removal of the clevis pin, a generously sized hole allowing this can be drilled into the left side plate without compromising the vertical strength in the least.

An advantage would be that if you have any ideas that would improve the function of the device, they could added at the same time.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 08:00   #7

I took the roller off on Friday and it came off much easier than anticipated. The two front bolt holes were stripped so those had to be retapped. I found a machine shop in La Cruz and they bent the roller back and had new stainless hardware. The actual bend on the piece wasn't too bad so he recommended straightening it. He even polished the bow roller and painted the aluminum rolling piece. The roller looked better than when I purchased the boat.

He even came down to the boat and retapped the stripped holes and reinstall the bow roller. We also drilled and tapped the two holes that weren't stripped so all the bolts matched.

Total cost $90 dollars and we are up and running again. Plus the total project took less than 24 hours from the time I dropped off the roller until it was installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200110_125003479_HDR.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	206825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200112_110029196_HDR.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	206826  

felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags