Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 19:03   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Anchor Roller - How to Choose ?

I would like to intsall an anchor roller to use to carry my new fortress fx 16 on my 30 ft sailboat, Any suggestions for which ones will work. Do I need one that is as long as the anchor stock?
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 21:42   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Match your roller to the weight of the boat, not the anchor. The roller needs to stand up to a situation where you're anchored in a strong swell and the boat is swinging. Assume the anchor will hold, and then figure out what sort of loads you're putting on the roller. In other words, to figure out how hefty a roller you need, begin with the boat's displacement. Far too many boats bend their rollers once the swell hits the bow.

As regards question #2: No. You don't need the roller to be as long as the stock.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bo’sun Supplies has a good Anchor Roller Selection Guide

Here ➥
Anchor Rollers, bow, launching, plowmaster, windline, danforth, seamaster

Fortress
Anchor Rollers, bow, launching, plowmaster, windline, danforth, seamaster

I’ve never seen structural specifications for anchor rollers; but if you can find them, you’ll want something capable of handling 1,400 to 2,100 Lbs loading.

See Design Loads for Deck Hardware

Design Loads for Deck Hardware - ABYC Section H-40, table 1 Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

HTH

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 21:18   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Before I dive into Gords wonderful bounty of info I did want to say that I have been doing a bit of research of my own. Well, actually I have been dock walking and looking at bowsprits (boats make even boring research fun ). Anyways, I am amazed at how many bent, warped, or just plain broken bow rollers their are. The common denominator is that they were all production rollers (minus one). I have looked at a couple hundred bows today and none of the windlines or lewmars were bent. Tomorrow I had planned to take pictures of the custom bow rollers that could work for my boat. Saw a couple bent dive n dog, at least, I am pretty sure they were dive n dogs. I also saw one warped or twisted seadog bowroller.

I wrote windline to see if they had any insight to which roller would work for my rocna 15 (or soon to be rocna 15, I am hoping I will get one for my B-day). They wrote back to say they did not know. Rocna's website said that a fluke style roller works best.

Hope that helps,
Erika

PS -off topic but interesting (at least to me) out of all the production modern sailboat bowroller/anchoring platforms I saw today the Hunters had everyone beat, man alive those things are beefy! I bet you could pick the whole boat up with em, good job Hunter.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 21:35   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
B-rad forgot to add, the prices for windline rollers are cheapest when you buy directly from them.
Gord, I looked at the design loads for a 30 footer and it seems to run from 700 working to 1400 storm. The weakest part of my anchor tackle has a breaking strength of 7000, not sure about my CQR. Anyways, is this reference to hardware loads a working number? I was really just shooting for BS around the weight of the vessel, my boat weighs around 5 tons dry.
Erika
Old 10-04-2010, 21:44   #6

Hmmm. Your in the Baja. The chain is around a rock. You've just wound all the slack out of a vertical chain when a big wave rolls by. Clunk. What is the bouyant force at the bow of a three foot swell? Do you want the chain to fail, the windlass to rip out of the deck or the bow roller to break? The rock is not going to budge. I don't know the answer. I think I'd rather lose the roller.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The loads, I cited*, were excerpted from ABYC Table I (Standard H-40, Anchoring, Mooring, and Lifting); and refered to recommendations for deck hardware supporting Storm Anchors, and Permanent Moorings. Working anchors and lunch hooks have significantly reduced loadings.

ABYC Design Loads for Deck Hardware*
Here ➥ Design Loads for Deck Hardware - ABYC Section H-40, table 1 Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1323&original=1&c=member&imageuser =79

I believe (not certain) that these figures are based upon information in the Complete Book Of Anchoring And Mooring by Earl Hinz

See also:
Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook by Dave Gerr

Here ➥
Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook ... - Google Books

And
http://sailawaytoday.com/Seamanship/ToHaveAndToHold.PDF

Only slightly off-topic I highly recommend the following very informative article, to anyone interested in Permanent Moorings:
http://www.projectaware.org/assets/6...gbuoyguide.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor