Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 20:53   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Anchor Roller Material/Design

I am contemplating replacing the plastic roller in my bow roller this winter. Rocna's anchor resource suggests that aluminum or bronze might be a better choice than plastic. That totally makes sense from a durability perspective. The chain groove in my plastic roller is pretty beat up. I do wonder about possible corrosion on the anchor shank though. Isn't bronze more noble than steel? would that induce corrosion at the contact point? Aluminum would have the opposite problem, right? where the roller corrodes?

I remember seeing some pictures of some people's rollers a while back (I think it was in an anchor swivel thread), but I can't seem to find them. I'd appreciate if folks with grooved rollers posted pictures of them so I could see what the common designs are.

As far as diameter, it seems like larger is better, as long as it's not so big that the bend of the shank can't sit in it. Any insight on this? Thanks.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 22:30   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Anchor Roller Material/Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
............ Aluminum would have the opposite problem, right? where the roller corrodes?............
I've got a 40+ year old aluminum roller. It rides on a greased stainless steel shaft. Has always had galvanized anchors and galvanized chain on it. Corrosion and wear are not an issue for the roller or any other components.

This roller will last hundreds of years.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 18:11   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Just not enough info on how your boat is set up. Existing gear, windlass, anchor. Photos would help.
Manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Plastic rollers are cheap to replace when they wear. I have a delrin one that I made on a lathe, still going strong ten years and thousands of nights at anchor later. The worst metals I ever put together in saltwater were bronze and galvanized steel. The galvi doesn't stand a chance. I'd stay away from a metal roller. Besides, how noisy would that be? a plastic one is noisy enough...
Old 12-09-2020, 09:47   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

I’ve seen several made from HMWPE that seems to be used in fendering for my local canal. It will outlast me by years.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor