Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 11:39   #31

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Anchor Sizing - Rocna 20 on 36ft boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir cat View Post
I agree. The Spade is ridiculously over priced. As far as the uncertainty of Craig's List, this is how I deal with it as far as purchasing boat parts. I inquire if the seller is willing to ship the item and receive payment by PayPal or Money Order. Some will and some won't. If the price listed is a reasonable one, then I offer to pay full price and shipping (after I calculate it). This makes my offer more enticing than some ax-muderer coming to his house and endlessly dickering over the price and then killing him and the rest of his family. Seriously, if the seller agrees to the deal, then I contact them by phone and I can get a pretty good idea what the person is like and if I want to do business. Most that I've dealt with are sailors just trying to sell extra equipment or are getting out of cruising.
Sounds like a good technique.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 11:42   #32

Hi All:

Although I am sure there will be other responses I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments, once again demonstrating the value of this forum. I have convinced the "Admiral" that this is a good plan so it looks like we will go for it.

Best regards,

Andrew
Old 23-03-2011, 14:32   #33

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
Hello:

It is not without tripidation that I dip my toe into the Anchor debate but I have a question about anchor sizing, specifically for the Rocna. This is not about comparing anchors so much as trying to determine the correct size of anchor.

To get to the point quickly, my question is if a Ronca 20 is sufficient for a 36ft LOA, 11.5' beam sloop with 15,500 lbs displacement in a "typical" East coast and Carribean anchorage? The 20KG is the rated size according to the Rocna charts.

Now the long winded explanation:
Currently, I have a 35lb Kingston Plow which has offered adequate, if not stellar service (we dragged last year in a 35 knot blow albeit in heavy weed after a wind shift). As I am making other changes to my ground tackle I am thinking of also upgrading my anchor and making the plow my backup (I also have a Fortress 16).

Being budget conscious, I am considering going with a Lewmar Delta 44 (which is oversize based on the charts that stipulate 35lb). I can get that locally for about $400. For about $650, I can get a Rocna 20, which is the same weight as the Delta. (BTW. Manson Supreme does not seem to be available in Canada so I would have to order it over the Internet (roughly $500 with shipping and duty from Defender) and I am hesitant to buy things without first seeing them.)

Delta would be more than adequate for the anchoring I that I currently do (inland Great Lakes, mud/sand bottoms, lots of weeds). However, I have (loose) long term plans to head south so I am trying implement solutions that support that goal.

My options are get a Delta now, and upgrade later if required. Or, go with a Rocna20 with the expectation that is a satisfactory for more challenging anchorages. However, I wonder if I should be oversizing it as I did with the Delta, which would put me into the 25KG or 33KG. Upsizing takes it out of my budget comfort zone and thus won't happen now. Which leaves me back with the Delta.

Comments anyone?

Andrew
Hi Andrew
emai Rocna give them your length and displacement where you want to sail and let them do the rest

Hi Michael

Thank you for your enquiry.

On the information you have provided 28’6” and 7,75lbs(3.5Ton) and taking into consideration of your fully laden cruising weight (by adding an additional 1Ton) and the areas you intend sailing, our recommendation would be a Rocna 10kg which would be more than adequate to cover all your cruising needs, any adverse weather conditions you may encounter and will provide total peace of mind and safety. All Rocna anchors have SHHP classification and its is the size of the Rocna blade area that determines its holding power not the weight. The final decision is of course yours to make.

Our sizing is conservative, intended to provide an anchor adequate for use in all conditions most boaters would ever endure. We base our calculations on 50 knots wind, associated surge, and soft moderate holding bottoms into which it is assumed the anchor has set. This is far in excess of most manufacturers. Naturally there are many variables involved, and in many situations an adequately sized Rocna will easily handle far worse winds than 50 knots. On a weight-for-weight basis, a Rocna is capable of sustaining far greater forces than many other anchor types and out-performs all other anchor types in most real world scenarios. This includes straight-line pull performance. A benefit of this is that when specifying an anchor to handle any given force, a Rocna may be smaller than another type. Conversely, another type will need to be larger in order to offer comparable holding power.

I have also attached contact details for our distributors in the UK and Italy:

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Martina

Rocna Anchors
t:+64 9 4471961/f: +64 9 480 9576
www.rocna.com/www.rocna.com/kb
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 14:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Hi Andrew
emai Rocna give them your length and displacement where you want to sail and let them do the rest
Thanks. Yes, I did just that and got a very similar response. It was nice to have a manufacturer reply even if a customized form letter. I set an email, and phone, call to another local anchor manufacturer and never heard back... that was a sale lost for them.

I am picking up my Rocna 20 tomorrow and can't wait to try it out...

Regards,

Andrew
Old 06-03-2021, 14:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
Thanks. Yes, I did just that and got a very similar response. It was nice to have a manufacturer reply even if a customized form letter. I set an email, and phone, call to another local anchor manufacturer and never heard back... that was a sale lost for them.

I am picking up my Rocna 20 tomorrow and can't wait to try it out...

Regards,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

How did it go for you?
Thinking of acquiring a Vulcan 25kg for a Jeanneau SO 410

Pedro
pfaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 15:17   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Were you expecting an answer to your question? only the thread is a decade old.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:43   #37

Boat: Allmand 31

SV Panope anchor test #96

SV Panope anchor test #95
https://youtu.be/ua21k2abK1Q
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna