Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 16:21   #16

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: Anchor snubber sizing... check my math please?

This doesn't answer your question, but an experience i had many year's ago, I.E., anchored in Sabang Sumatra, with a busted engine on a 36 ft. yawl, the harbor open to the Bay of Bengal, and a early Typhoon happening, no place to hide, so set 2 anchor's in tandem, with 200 ft. of chain, and 300 ft. of rhode with a Kellet, got off the boat, sheltered ashore, watched green water break over the whole boat, survived to continue, made me a believer in Tandem anchor's when needed'
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 17:53   #17

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. We use a 5/8" 3-strand nylon of about 20' for our 33klb 43' monohull. We put an eye on one end, with a chainhook; the other end has a larger eye, that slips over our bow cleat. We also added a rubber "stretchy", and run the line over the other bow roller we have-which keeps it on centerline and eliminates the need for a bridle. We've never had the chainhook slip off, and have used the rig to ride through some pretty heavy blows (+50 kts) without issue. Easy to stow, easy to rig, and seems to work well!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 16:20   #18

Here is my solution for attatching soft shackle to 5/8 Yale 8 plait snubber. I figured that traditional stainless steel thimble would be to bulky and would get stuck on anchor roller as I let the chain out with attached snubber. I also didn't like the idea of thin dynema pulling and chafing against unprotected eye splice.

So I found that Tylaska FR10 low friction ring makes excellent low profile thimble. I put the soft shackle around the ring and then chain spliced 5/8 Yale 8 plait through the center of the ring back to itself. The result is low profile connection that can softly slide through narrow passages, but should be as strong as routinely used chain splice.

I tried to add picture here (not sure if it comes through):

My new snubber is 50 foot long and in the other and I spliced with same ring 5 foot 3/8 Dynema pendnant with eye splice that goes around bow cleat. The idea is to have low stretch abrasion resistant oversized dynema go around the cleat and across the roller, where it connects to stretchy nylon out in the clear.

To be honest I really have not tested this setup yet out in the really heavy weather.
lumelind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, lease