Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 13:36   #91
Sponsoring Vendor

SailFastTri,

I discussed anchor resetting with Don Hallerberg, the owner of Fortress awhile back, and he reminded me that "You have to remember: Once an anchor breaks loose, it might no longer be an anchor, it might just be a gob of mud or clay, with no sharp edges left and no hope of re-setting."

Robert Taylor of the US Navy concurred, stating: "A typical problem that can occur with any anchor embedded in mud or clay has to do with balling up the fluke with a consolidated “ball” of soil that stays with the anchor after it is pulled out. That “ball” can prevent the anchor from re-embedding."

Based on the above, I would not trust ANY anchor to reliably reset if it broke loose from a sea bottom.

Regarding the "no set / reset" question with that anchor test, unfortunately I can't answer it. I can tell you that since the test was conducted in 1990, the "Mud Palms" were not fitted on the Fortress anchor for this test, and they are now included inside the box with every anchor. The "Mud Palms are a set of plates that bolt on to the crown, or centerpiece of the anchor, and they lift the back end of the anchor up so that the flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

The "Mud Palms" will improve the setting performance in all bottoms, not just in mud, and so we recommend that our customers permanently install them.

Concerning the anchor being so light that it "kites" along the bottom, I would say that is possible with our smallest sizes, i.e. 4lb and 7lb. but certainly far less likely with our larger & heavier anchors.

Finally, regarding your comment: "A Fortress would not be my preferred choice to save the boat when being blown by a storm onto a lee shore, as it would require the anchor be deployed and set immediately"......please see my next message.

Thank you!

Brian Sheehan
Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 13:41   #92
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
A Fortress would not be my preferred choice to save the boat when being blown by a storm onto a lee shore, as it would require the anchor be deployed and set immediately.
Date: 06 Apr 2004 23:30:00 -0000
To: "brian@fortressanchors.com"
Subject: Testimonial

I was sailing into Conch Cut leading into Georgetown, Exumas in the Bahamas. Just as I was passing over the reef bar, I switched off my autopilot to hand steer over the bar and into the deeper channel when I heard a "pop" and my wheel steering spun freely. I had the full Genoa out, and without rudder steering, the bow fell off heading straight for the nearby island of Channel Cay.

I immediately diagnosed the problem of a failed steering cable and released the jib sheet and cut the motor. In my horror, I realized that my boat, an Irwin 37 foot ketch, my only home, was completely out-of-control and headed for the rocks in just seconds. As a matter of routine I always keep at least one anchor ready to go, but in 30 years of sailing experience I had yet to do an emergency anchor deployment.

I raced forward, terrified as the island cliff was rising before me, and immediately released my Fortress FX-23 with 50 feet of new stainless steel chain and about ten feet of 5/8" nylon rode that was already secured to a cleat.

As the chain was rapidly running out I said a quick prayer that the anchor would bite first time, there would be no time for a re-set before the impending shipwreck disaster! My heart was pounding! I gripped the bow pulpit and braced, watching the rapidly approaching cliff which was now a mere 100 feet away, as the chain ran out.

Suddenly all 22,000 pounds of my sailboat came to a stop and executed a 180 degree turn in 2 seconds. We were now safely at anchor in 15 feet of water in a 3-4 swell with the stern of my boat JUST 30 FEET FROM THE CLIFF!

The Fortress anchor had saved my life and my boat!

Several passing boats radioed and offered assistance. After letting my heart rate come back down to normal range. I was able to motor up and retrieve the somewhat bent anchor, and used the autopilot (which attaches directly to the rudder quadrant) to "fly by wire" to a safe anchorage in Elizabeth Harbor, Georgetown.

I have returned this beloved anchor to Fortress in Ft Lauderdale and they have replaced it with no hassle.

Sincerely,
Capt Joe Greno - s/v SAGA Georgetown., Bahamas
Old 13-01-2011, 14:19   #93

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Wow!!! Some story! I was biting my nails!
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 14:26   #94
Sponsoring Vendor

Yeah, I had to change my shorts the first time I read it.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:11   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsmith View Post
Kiwi Roa carries four Rocnas and nothing else, considered perfectly adequate for any seabed including some of the harshest environments on the planet. The old trinity of a plow, a claw, and <a Danforth or fisherman> is a typical fallacy of the old generation
Well I guess that counts me into the mugs from the old generation too, along with Boatman and I'd imagine quite a few others. I'd never trust any ship to just one sort of anchor, even a shiny one.With anchors as with most things, in diversity lies safety.

But can't blame the advocacy of a product by its seller - it makes natural $en$e. Of course it can also work against your favour from time to time. Like for a sailmaker friend in a recent national champs. He was commited of course to flying his own sails and came very close to winning. Which was a good effort considering everyone, including he, considerd his sails not quite as sharp as the winner's. He confided later that he was sure he would have won but for the handicap of his sails. That's the burden of advocacy.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:33   #96
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
But can't blame the advocacy of a product by its seller - it makes natural $en$e.
At sea, good point. I can certainly understand advocacy, as you say, but not disrespect of a competitors' product, and also dishonesty about your own.

Regards,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 13-01-2011, 15:49   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
At sea, good point. I can certainly understand advocacy, as you say, but not disrespect of a competitors' product, and also dishonesty about your own.
Absolutely. I hope I didn't infer otherwise. Cheers.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:53   #98

Quote:

Regards,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
I think you're being a bit self righteous. (Do you really believe your Fortress anchor more reliable than any other in a 180-degree pull reversal?)
Old 13-01-2011, 17:47   #99
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
I think you're being a bit self righteous. (Do you really believe your Fortress anchor more reliable than any other in a 180-degree pull reversal?)
SailFastTri,

Whoa, no way! My point was that the NO anchor is fully reliable in a 180 degree pull reversal. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Be safe,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 13-01-2011, 18:19   #100

Quote:
In fact, it was duly noted that because Fortress anchors are precision-machined to be so sharp, they are able to bury much deeper into a sea bottom versus heavier, dull-edged steel anchors.

Additionally, with the wide surface area of the flukes, there is far greater resistance to the Fortress anchor pulling out, regardless of whether the pull was from a straight line, 90°, or 180°.
Perhaps I misunderstood the above. I thought it meant you were claiming the Fortress has "far greater resistance" compared with the other anchors, even when the pull is at 180°.

My experience has been contrary to that and I think it's misleading to claim otherwise. I want to add, however, that I think you have a good product for specific attributes and uses. I keep one aboard.
Old 13-01-2011, 18:22   #101

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Very true about any anchor not doing well in a 180 degree reversal - but I thought thread was about anchor swivels . . .
- - Over more than a decade I have replaced one swivel with two hi-test galvanized (normal) shackle after removing the extremely high priced swivel. The problem with the swivels was that the pins and swivel pin wore too much and were hidden from view by the body shape of the swivel. The pin size was almost 50% of original size after a decade. And the parts are not available for replacement. And there have been reports of the pin that allows the swivel to swivel also wearing and failing. At least with old fashioned shackles you can visually see any wear as metal grinds on metal.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 19:03   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
s . . .
- - Over more than a decade I have replaced one swivel with two hi-test galvanized (normal) shackle after removing the extremely high priced swivel.

Actually I think that is a good solution to the swivel question because there is more freedom of movement. IMHO the swivel is prone to failure when non in line force is applied and bending moments are induced.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 19:31   #103
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstood the above. I thought it meant you were claiming the Fortress has "far greater resistance" compared with the other anchors, even when the pull is at 180°.

My experience has been contrary to that and I think it's misleading to claim otherwise. I want to add, however, that I think you have a good product for specific attributes and uses. I keep one aboard.
Thanks for the kind words. I think that we will have to agree to disagree about the misleading claim.

I am not questioning your experience with our product. It happened and I acknowledge that it did.

My own personal experiences aside, I have seen enough independent anchor tests conducted over the years, talked personally with enough Fortress customers here in our hurricane region and all over the world, and consulted with two extremely knowledgeable anchor engineers for long enough to have formed a very strong belief in the performance capability of our product.

And oftentimes that performance of the Fortress anchor has been absolutely stunning. Case in point is the anchor test that I referenced earlier. Funny thing is, I didn't even know about that test until a short while ago when I think I did a Google search on "anchor tests".

In that test (attached below) the 24 lb. Fortress anchor was holding the maximum of over 4,000 lbs most of the time in straight line, 90°, and 180° pulls, while the next best anchor was 40 lbs and it could not hold much over 3,000 lbs. AMAZING!

But this pales in comparison to some of the stories we hear from our customers. The one I posted earlier was a classic, but there's many more.

We have another 24 lb. Fortress model here in our main lobby that was brought back by a customer who was very thankful that this anchor held their 42' Silverton weighing 25,000 lbs in Hurricane Andrew's 140+ mph winds which lasted for over 3 hours....and yes the boat was spun around after the eye of the storm. No anchor test in the world could simulate the load that was on this anchor.

The flukes were all bent to hell as it took them a day to get the anchor out! I'll post pictures if you would like to see this mangled anchor.

SailFastTri, I am sorry that our product did not perform to your expectations. I can't explain why it did. I am glad that you have found a use for it on your boat.

Thanks again,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Attached Files
File Type: pdf anchor study.pdf (357.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 13-01-2011, 20:13   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
I think that part of the problem with SS swivels is that they get used on galvanized steel chain. I would not be surprised if a local galvanic reaction might shorten the life of the swivel. Rather than worry, I use all galvanized components. If you want a stainless swivel you should probably buy SS chain and anchor. The galvanized stuff is easier to find anyway. Stainless is prone to cracking and intergranular corrosion expecially when under stress and where there is a crevice. Many of the off-name brand parts are 304 SS instead of the more resistant 316L. 304 is slightly magnetic.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 20:19   #105

316 can also be slightly magnetic. Wichard 316 is an example.

Tags
anchor