Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 13:30   #46

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Anchor Trip-Line Techniques

Thank you all for your responses on this topic.

It definitely looks like the consensus is on the side of no trip line which I think is were my bias lies. It would appear that the benefits of having a trip line are offset by the potential for fouling props, accidentally tripping the anchor and other intended consequences.

I wonder, for those who use trip lines, have you ever needed to use it where you would have lost your anchor without it (or needed to dive 50ft to get at it)?

Also, thank you those who came up with solutions on how to manage with out a trip line such as using a large shackle. That is a good idea to keep in mind.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:53   #47

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Yes, I have had to use the trip line in situations where the anchor was badly fouled and out of reach (depth, current/tidal stream, very cold/murky water).

I have all the gear onboard to rig an anchor chaser (and I already knew of this technique) but using it would mean pulling the dinghy from the bottom of the locker, inflating it and rigging the engine, then stowing all the gear after recovering the anchor. IMO, it is more time-effective to have a trip line permanently rigged along the chain (posts #20 and #22), without a float on the surface.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
IMO, it is more time-effective to have a trip line permanently rigged along the chain (posts #20 and #22), without a float on the surface.

Alain
Thank you Alain. Did you ever have problems with your trip line getting fouled itself (i.e.getting twisted around the anchor or snagged on an underwater obstruction)?
Old 19-07-2011, 14:36   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
Thank you Alain. Did you ever have problems with your trip line getting fouled itself (i.e.getting twisted around the anchor or snagged on an underwater obstruction)?
With the precaution of rigging a small float on the trip line close to the anchor, it never got fouled there. The anchor is a Rocna, without any protruding part that could catch the line.

But it happened once (see post #20) that the chain and the trip line got snagged at the same time on an underwater obstruction. I don't see how a chaser could have freed the anchor in this case. We just had to move the boat around, heaving and veering, until we managed to free the chain. It took 2 hours and we missed the tide...

Alain
Old 19-07-2011, 14:48   #50

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I have sucessfully used Nigle 1 's technique to get an anchor off a submerged cable. As a tow boat worker this comes in handy.
. IMHO There is nothing wrong with bouyed trip line as long as it is just long enough to reach the surface plus a foot or two. I use one to keep my CQR upright when anchoring in a grassy spot. I hold the anchor upright using my dingy and a "Look bucket" when the dam thing refuses to set. Goes for the Manson also. If you anchor in a decent bottom I see no reason to use one.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 05:42   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylajo View Post
This device is called an Anchorex.
When the anchor becomes fouled you lower a plastic collar which is part of the kit down the rode. The collar has a hook which releases the stainless collar on the jaw which then enables you to retreive the anchor by the crown with the light chain that goes from the s/s collar to the crown.
I have owned this device for ten years now.
That is an interesting device, nylajo. I did a quick internet search and didn't find any references. Where did you buy it from and do you recall the cost? Have you ever had it accidentally release the anchor?
Old 20-07-2011, 06:11   #52

My method is a mask/snorkel. I ONLY ANCHOR IS SHALLOW WATER...I can free dive to only 40 feet or so. For anything deeper I need/use scuba...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:53   #53

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I used to use a trip line with a buoy, but I don't anymore. I've never had anyone try to moor to one, but they do tangle.

The one time I really needed a trip line I couldn't get the anchor up pulling on the trip line either, (3/8" double braid). I ended up driving in a circle until it broke loose. Since then I have lost a couple of anchors that snagged obstructions, and I couldn't get up. I don't think I would have saved them with a trip line either. Here the water is so murky you couldn't find your anchor if you did dive on it.

I wouldn't rule out the trip line entirely, it does have it's applications, but in most cases it probably causes more problems than it solves.

I have looked into the weak link setup, but it looks too risky except for in day anchors. The fishing float anchor lift system also works best with smaller craft, and anchors.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 10:38   #54

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have never seen a real time cruising boat with a trip line. is easier to just overdrive the anchor rode and let nature pull loose the anchor as you go--is more controlled.
What is done in the fishing industry and i do on all BUT storm anchors.
attach end of chain to back (crown) of anchor and then attach chain to top(shank) with a few loops of mainline. you could use super heavey zip ties but i would trust them. i have many times used 700# mono or 300# leader(wrapped a few times.)
Old 22-08-2011, 03:39   #55

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

why not just take a large shackle
place it on top of the current shackle so it can slide up and down the anchor rode line.
run a short trip line from this sliding shackle to anchor front
run a long line from shackle to boat which mirrors your current anchor rode line.
the second line is smaller like 1/4 inch and will be the trip line.

When anchor is stuck,
slack up the big anchor rode,
pull up trip line which pulls shackle up which is attached to front of anchor.
anchor is pulled up

it works similar to this anchor rescue system AnchorRescue HIW video

no buoy to confuse other boater, the trip line follows your normal anchor rode line so it wont get fouled twisted up in props.

at boat end the small nylon line wont put any pressure on the anchor,
just tie it off with the other line. Being smaller it will have a lot of stretch.

Disadvantage is the trip line is always out when anchor is out, but then so is the anchor rode line.
Advantage is no buoy which can get caught in some other boats props or other people mess around with it thinking buoy is a place to moor up.
and the extra line just goes out with your normal line.

You could also use a shorter trip line and tie it to your anchor rode line.
But make certain it cant slip down the anchor rode line.
Make it long enough the when you pull up the anchor rode line getting rid of the long scope that your shorter trip line comes up, then pull up trip line. This way the entire trip line is in the water. The trip line would have to be longer than the depth of the water. Example, if your anchored in 50 foot of water use a 70 foot trip line and 200 foot of rode. If anchor stuck, motor up to anchor and then attached trip line is back above the water.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:33   #56

here's a low cost idea, how about a "snap-off" anchor rope. using one anchor rope, tie it to the back of anchor. Get a short piece of rope that you or your boat is strong enough to snap, and tie this to the anchor and main rope for normal anchoring, leave slack between the main rope to back of anchor, so that the weaker short rope snaps first. (i've not tried this myself yet.)
pops911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:54   #57

Welcome to CruisersForum, pops911
It seems your idea is very similar to what keyspc describes in post #54.

All these systems that don't use a buoy at one end of the trip line fail when the *rode* is caught by an underwater obstruction between the boat and the anchor. Don't ask how I know that.

Alain
Old 20-01-2013, 12:32   #58

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I have used a buoyed trip line for many years while anchoring in bays with unknown bottom scapes. The problem up here in Superior is the submerged logs and trees will hold your anchor down. We broke loose one snag after 20 minutes of messing around and brought up the whole waterlogged tree that had sank into the ooze. Never really had a problem with getting tangled up with the trip line. It seems like good insurance in unknown waters.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 12:42   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
I've never understood how people tun over trip line buoys, probably the same people that run over the floats on crab and lobster traps..

Helped a boat in the anchorage that complained about trap floats, dove down and found at least 5-6 trap lines wrapped around the shaft..
In Maine, those things are everywhere!
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 13:07   #60

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
Thank you all for your responses on this topic.

It definitely looks like the consensus is on the side of no trip line which I think is were my bias lies. It would appear that the benefits of having a trip line are offset by the potential for fouling props, accidentally tripping the anchor and other intended consequences.

I wonder, for those who use trip lines, have you ever needed to use it where you would have lost your anchor without it (or needed to dive 50ft to get at it)?

Also, thank you those who came up with solutions on how to manage with out a trip line such as using a large shackle. That is a good idea to keep in mind.
I've used a trip line only once, in an anchorage where I was warned the bottom was foul. And indeed, I was unable to get the anchor up, without the tripline. Pulling on the tripline in the forward direction I was able to free it with only a bit of struggle.

Tags
anchor