Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 15:58   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Anchor Turner/ Straighter On Its Own

I have a new Vulcan 25 which often comes up backwards and I have to nudge it with a pole to get it up the roller. I'm considering an anchor straightener.

The thing is, I have only seen them used with swivels. Anchorlift only sells them with a swivel. Why is that?

Am I missing something? Seems to me straighteners should work fine without a swivel.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:10   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: anchor turner/straighter on its own

Turn a groove in your anchor roller so that the chain comes over as a + not an x.
It will come up the right way 95% of the time.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:12   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

First, consider why it might be coming up backwards. It is NOT spinning at anchor, since logically, that unwinds as soon as it clears the bottom.

Assuming you have a windlass, the chain cannot turn in the gypsy. Is the chain properly aligned, not a half turn one way or the other? Easy to miss.

Are you moving forward or aft when you raise the anchor? modern anchors are designed to self-align with the flow of water so that they land correctly. Try backing or holding still.

It should come up straight at least 95% of the time. Lowering and backing should solve most of the rest.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:14   #4

Boat: Horizon 68'

I had the same problem with my anchor and fitted an "Ultra Flip Swivel".
Bloody marvellous ! Cost a lot but absolutely worth it especially with the good wife on the bow when the pick comes up the wrong way.

In my case that was incredibly often about 75% of the time, why? I don't know but there you are, murphies law, at work.

With the flip swivel I just stop with the back half of the swivel on the roller and the pick has to spin to the right way round , gravity sees to that.

Hence the swivel it is a vital part of the mix.
Afenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I learned with my Rocna that if I'm moving in reverse, it will orient itself correctly every time, all it takes is a Kt or two, lots cheaper than an Ultra swivel.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 20:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

This is a very simple solution.

Anchor Right Australia introduces, the innovative Flip Link | Anchor Right News and Updates

Availiable at

Ground Tackle Marine
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 20:51   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Assuming you have a windlass, the chain cannot turn in the gypsy. Is the chain properly aligned, not a half turn one way or the other? Easy to miss.
Your chain's orientation in the gypsy might be 180 degrees off. Perhaps you unwittingly had a twist between the gypsy and the bow when you attached the anchor.

Should be simple to check. If your anchor is up to the bow roller, and upside down, follow the chain from the anchor to the windlass. If there is no twist, then it's your chain orientation that's forcing your anchor to come up upside down. Flip the anchor the correct way (now there will be a twist) then lift the chain off the gypsie and remove the twist.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:54   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Your chain's orientation in the gypsy might be 180 degrees off. Perhaps you unwittingly had a twist between the gypsy and the bow when you attached the anchor.

Should be simple to check. If your anchor is up to the bow roller, and upside down, follow the chain from the anchor to the windlass. If there is no twist, then it's your chain orientation that's forcing your anchor to come up upside down. Flip the anchor the correct way (now there will be a twist) then lift the chain off the gypsie and remove the twist.
With a vertical windlass it is easier to either re-attach the anchor (180 twist) or clip a link (90 twist). You need to clip a link now and then anyway.
Old 10-10-2016, 23:51   #9

Ultra Flip looks like an amazing product, cleverly engineered, but goodness it is expensive.

I am generally alone at the bow, drifting as the anchor comes up. If my wife is with me, I could get her to slowly reverse. I will see how it works. Funny, just looking at the anchor, I would think it would flip backward in the water while in reverse. I trust that I am wrong.

Like Afenton, I don't know why the anchor twists. I said "often", but it is probably less than half the time.
Old 11-10-2016, 00:04   #10

Groundtackle, that is an interesting straightener and a hell of a lot cheaper than most others.

Is the 8mm model for 8mm (5/16) chain? Is it stainless? It doesn't appear to be galvanized.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:25   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
That looks very interesting.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

foojin,
The Flip Link is a low alloy, high strength steel plate with a yield strength three times that of carbon steel. Typical tensile of 830MPa. Then hot dipped galvanized.
The five sizes availiable are measured by thickness. We have been matching Flip Link sizes with chain dimension, for example - 8mm to 8mm or 5/16" chain. It's a good fit and holes are dimensioned to accept the appropriate shackles.
I just installed an 8mm with 5/16' chain rode, used (7) 3/8" chain links. This allowed a larger anchor shackle that wouldn't normally fit the 5/16" chain.
As Anchor Right states "the more links installed between the Flip Link and anchor the less aggressive the flip of the anchor will be when self righting". If you slow the windlass down when the Flip Link approaches the bow roller, the rollover is gentle.
I played with one all summer, works slick. I was concerned it may get 180' out but it never happened, the chain just doesn't want to twist the wrong way. Perhaps if the windlass was well aft, mine is 4'.
You obviously need some distance between anchor and windlass to install it. We need to get spec/ dimensional info on our site, working on that. I have a 10mm(3/8") in my hand right now, it measures 235mm (9.25") between bearing points of the holes.
Dark, in a hurry, aft control station, less experienced crew or whatever - I don't want any hands anywher near chain or related hardware. The anchor needs to come up and immediately nest. I like simple.
Thanks for your interest,
Chris Eldridge
Ground Tackle Marine
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:27   #13

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

This anchor straightener works absolutely perfectly and costs 140 Euros :
Chaine ø 6/8mm , Périphériques ancre et chaîne - Accastillage Diffusion
Old 11-10-2016, 08:45   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I mistrust anything that has a swivel built into it, actually I have come to mistrust swivels, the Mantus being the exception for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:47   #15

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

+1

I mistrust anything that has a solid "fork" that attaches at the shank.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor