Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 07:49   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Anchor Type Survey

I wandered around a Greek marina and hard stand today and noted the bower anchors. About 2/3 of the boats were on the hard 1/3 in the water. Many anchors here are dropped on the ground so are easy to inspect. Most of these boats are cruising boats (as opposed to charter or boats only used on the weekend) so the pattern is much more representative of boat that anchor overnight.

A few things to bear in mind :
I am sick of seeing Deltas
Theft here is not a great concern but some of the the better anchors will have been put out of sight. Cheaper anchors are more likely to be left in view distorting the ratio.
The boats that are prepared to anchor over the winter here (the windier season) will not be in the marina. These boats will not be represented although there are few that are that stupid ( like me )

Delta 65
CQR 33
Spade 16
Bugel copy 12
Rocna 11
Kobra 10
Brittany 10
Bugel 9
Bruce 8
Claw 6
Brake 5
Kingston quickset 5
Plough 4
FOB rock 3
Shark 3
Jambo 3
Danforth 3
Fortress 1
Manson Supreme 1
SARCA 1
Stockless 1
Excel 1
Fisherman 1
FOB-HP 1
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 09:43   #2

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: Anchor Type Survey

I did a similar survey in the Puget Sound area. The top anchors not necessary in order are; Danforth, QCR , Bruce, Forjord, (PNW anchor), then miss other anchors.

The Rocna is the anchor that is starting to become the new popular which is replacing the Bruce. Danforth and QCR have been the around for years and still popular. The Forjord is a PNW, mostly commercial fishing, as it big and heavy, also many bigger pleasure have them as the lightest is 65 lbs, up to 200+. We have a 65 lbs that I am modifying make the flukes bigger and adding 20 lbs to it. I been thinks about adding a round bar on to the QCR like the Rocna.

Here is a site, that lets you play with different factors of anchoring which as just as important as the type of anchor. Tuning an Anchor Rode. Type of rode, length of the scope, weight of anchor and bottom type are key factors. We care three anchors, QCR, Danforth and Forjord depending the bottom and conditions. Sail boat tend to carry more then one type of anchor, Danforth, wide fluke navy and a plough, QCR. Pleasure usually have only one anchor.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 14:31   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I actually think that a Delta is a pretty good anchor once set. Even though I replaced mine when I up-sized last.

On the other hand my last boat had a CQR and that POC only had about a 50% reliable record in any condition that I really needed an anchor.
Old 18-11-2013, 15:04   #4

Mexico is CQR's, Bruce-ish, Deltas, and Supremes/Rocnas.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:24   #5

Boat: Caliber 40

After a year cruising and anchoring in the La Paz, Baja California I decided to drive up to San Diego and purchase a Spade. I announced that intent over the local VHF.

When all the dust settled - Seven boats went together to purchase 7 Spades at a discounted price.

None of us has been disappointed.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 02:33   #6
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
After a year cruising and anchoring in the La Paz, Baja California I decided to drive up to San Diego and purchase a Spade. I announced that intent over the local VHF.

When all the dust settled - Seven boats went together to purchase 7 Spades at a discounted price.

None of us has been disappointed.
People like you distort the normal statistical order of things

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:11   #7

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
interesting thread. I would think that it would be difficult to undertake a survey that was totally accurate due to where different anchors can be purchased. For instance here in Australia Spade, Bugal and few other well known anchors from overseas are not available in Australia. The only time you may see one is on the bow of a boat from overseas.
If you were to do a survey here in Australia I would suspect that you would see a lot of CQRs, Bruce, Rocna, Manson and Sarca and a smattering of other brand anchors. As the Rockna and Manson are made in New Zealand and the Sarca here in Australia, all are readily available. The cost of shipping of anchors from overseas would be quite extortional and stop many from purchasing these anchors. I considered purchasing a Spade but the cost of shipping far exceeded the value of the anchor.

Greg and Sue
Southerly Miss
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:23   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
The cost of shipping of anchors from overseas would be quite extortional and stop many from purchasing these anchors.

If that were really the reason I doubt I would have been able to buy my Manson Supreme from a store in the Northeast USA and have the store ship it to my house.
Old 19-11-2013, 05:04   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Sailor Boy,
yes I am aware that Rocna and Manson sell overseas but I would imagine they ship them by the container load. What I found was that if there was not an agent for the anchors here in Australia then the cost of buying and shipping of one anchor was not financially viable. I did the exercise of pricing the purchase and shipping of a Spade but just could not justify the cost. Ended up with a Manson Supreme 20KG which has been brilliant.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:39   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

To reiterate an earlier point:

Marina surveys don't mean much, because the typical marina based boat does little anchoring. The only survey that would have meaning to cruisers would be one taken in a distant anchorage, one where all the boats were long distance cruisers, defined by their very presence far from home.

The trouble is that when the anchors are stuck into the seabed it is difficult to survey them! Requires getting into the dinghy and going around and asking all the folks about their ground tackle. Of course, being proper cruisers, they will invite you aboard for a drink and a chat. Your liver will rot before you finish the survey...

So, if there are any teatotaler cruisers out there, will you please step up and make the survey for us?

Cheers,

JIm
Old 19-11-2013, 08:57   #11

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Requires getting into the dinghy and going around and asking all the folks about their ground tackle. Of course, being proper cruisers, they will invite you aboard for a drink and a chat. Your liver will rot before you finish the survey...

AH - the old "what's your anchor" ploy for meeting other cruisers and gaining access to their beer and chips!

Maybe we need another survey - or two surveys?

1 - What is your favorite question / action to meet new cruisers in an anchorage?

2 - When you are anchored - what is your least favorite question to hear from dinghy approaching your boat?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, survey