Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 15:25   #31

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I just bought a Muir anchor winch for Insatiable: One of their new all stainless steel ones, vertical exis, rope & chain, etc. (Muir VR1250, for what it is worth). It seems well made and will not look out of place on the pointy end of the good ship. Of course, since I haven't even installed it yet (only took delivery yesterday), I am not really in a position to comment on it's effectiveness, reliability or longevity. I can say that Muir have, thus far, given me good customer service.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 19:33   #32
Marine Service Provider

Interesting to note a few using their winches in a way all manufacturers say not to. Every manufacturer will tell you they design their winches to lift the anchor from the seabed to the boat. They are not designed to drag the boat to the anchor.

Weyalan, be very careful which rope you use on your Muir. They, like most, are quite fussy. If you use the Aussie fav 'Silver' (polyprops evil cousin) it will give you greif if it works at all. Don't go the 8 braid way either, Muirs love eating that stuff. Spend the bucks on a real good top quality 3 strand and you'll be a lot happier in the long run. You may have problems find some there though from what we see and hear, it is there you'll just have to hunt around. Actually I think Muir may do some themselves.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 16:07   #33

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Does anyone have any experience with the Lofrans Royal manual anchor windlass?I like the idea of a manual lft,and have no problem pulling anchor with existing S.L. Seahorse when singlehanding,but the Simpson Lawerence is getting old and tired.My boat is 38ft. ,18000 lbs.,using all chain 5/16 H.T.(150ft.)then rode,anchor is 50lb.Manson plow (I don't like dragging).I always motor up over anchor before raising.Can I get away with this Lofrans,even though it is a little undersized,I have heard they are very reliable and durable.They recomend no larger than 35ft.A poster named Sullivan ,on here, said he worked his hard with no problems.There seems to be no other options for manual.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 18:25   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
I have just finished overhaul of what looked like a Muir. Alu body, powder coated = NO-NO.

Probably look for sth with ss or anodized alu body.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 22:14   #35

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Muir powdercoating is failing on mine!! OK apart from this.

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 17:27   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
Yes, works OK, but it was a HARD job and over 100USD to restore it!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 18:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A Windlass is a specific type of Winch?
NB Gord's comment contained a ? mark.

Generally speaking a windlass is an apparatus for lifting weights (including anchors) The biggest windlasses are to be found on mines where they are termed "winding gear" at the pithead.
The earliest known windlasses were those used in the middle ages on wells to lift water (Winches are a relatively new arrival)
On sailing ships there were also Capstan windlasses for raising sails and cargo.
The nautical term Winch is used to describe a cylinder on which rope/line/cable is wound around then turned by inserting a handle and winding it. Its design function is pull in and control the sails. Although it may also be used to lift crew up the mast - Davits for lifting tenders may also have winches (but strictly speaking they should be called windlasses)
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 19:06   #38

Snatch Blocks as line leads

Noted in a couple of posts in this thread, the suggestion to use a snatch block to guide the line from a windlass or winch when lifting someone up the mast. From a safety point view (and no other) a snatch block should NOT be used. An appropriate sized "D" shackle securely attached to a block of the right size is recommended. The standard type of Snatch block can be opened if the locking pin is pulled accidentally, or the latch mechanism knocked.
Attached Images

Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:16   #39

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Lofrans Royal manual anchor windlass?I like the idea of a manual lft,and have no problem pulling anchor with existing S.L. Seahorse when singlehanding,but the Simpson Lawerence is getting old and tired.My boat is 38ft. ,18000 lbs.,using all chain 5/16 H.T.(150ft.)then rode,anchor is 50lb.Manson plow (I don't like dragging).I always motor up over anchor before raising.Can I get away with this Lofrans,even though it is a little undersized,I have heard they are very reliable and durable.They recomend no larger than 35ft.A poster named Sullivan ,on here, said he worked his hard with no problems.There seems to be no other options for manual.
I was going to PM you but for some reason can't so here's the to post.
I have a Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger 555 Windless (Uses 3/8” BBB chain).
Replaced it with a Maxwell Liberty 2500.
It was on the boat when I bought it so I don't know how much it was used. Certainly worked well when I did use it.

If your interested?

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor