Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 16:02   #1

Anchor windless motor preservation???

I have a Lofrans vertical windless with the motor below the deck in the anchor locker. The preservation coating done at the factory has failed and the motor exterior is rusting badly.
I plan to remove it and do something to preserve it. I am looking for some advice from someone who has solved this problem.

I have tried removing the loose rust, applying rust converter and then liberally coating it with cold galv spray from a can. It only lasted about one season and it is as bad as ever.
BrightAyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 16:21   #2

Re: Anchor windless motor preservation???

Repaint it then coat it with CRC 5-56 (cosmoline) spray.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 16:22   #3

Boat: Nordship 40ds

On a different brand I took the case and any rusty parts off and then soaked it in a product called evapo rust. This cleaned all of the rust off over night. Then I sprayed an epoxy primer and finally a coat of epoxy paint. Lasted a couple of years till something else on the windlass broke and I figured it was time to get a new one.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 18:55   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 50

I painted mine with POR15. It's a rust converter and paint in one. It's meant for auto body work but works great on any steel parts. You just scrape off the loose rust and paint on a couple of coats. It dries rock hard and protects from future rust.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41   #5

Boat: Lagoon 40

Sounds like some sound advice above. I would probably go with an epoxy paint. one other suggestion to consider:

I recently had problems with my windlass, a Simpson Lawrence, below deck. In my case, I burnt out a motor due to a leaking oil seal (oil from the gearbox got into the motor). I had to remove the gearbox to replace the seal and found there were no ports to drain/refill the oil. So I flushed it while the seal was out and refilled it. After 15+ years, the oil was not in great shape with a fair bit of sediment in it. So, my long-winded suggestion is, if you have to pull the gearbox, you might consider checking the lubrication and seals while it is out.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAyes View Post
I have a Lofrans vertical windless with the motor below the deck in the anchor locker. The preservation coating done at the factory has failed and the motor exterior is rusting badly.
I plan to remove it and do something to preserve it. I am looking for some advice from someone who has solved this problem.

I have tried removing the loose rust, applying rust converter and then liberally coating it with cold galv spray from a can. It only lasted about one season and it is as bad as ever.
I use aerosol CRC Lanolin for that job and it works. Cosmoline that Cheechako recommends sounds similar. Do a quick spray every couple of months or whenever. I spray the waxy stuff on my diesel engine too and it looks like new. Has a nice gentle smell like a sheep shearing shed, when the motor warms up.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:42   #7

I just checked and the aerosol CRC Lanolin I suggest is called CRC Lanocote; a natural waxy grease obtained from sheep wool.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:24   #8

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
I painted mine with POR15. It's a rust converter and paint in one. It's meant for auto body work but works great on any steel parts. You just scrape off the loose rust and paint on a couple of coats. It dries rock hard and protects from future rust.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Capt.Alex is right on point. I have had POR 15 on things for years and no rust.
The only thing coming close is power-coating and that's difficult to do (heat will ruin the magnets/insulation, etc.) only stainless would be a better solution.
Rocky
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, motor, wind