Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2024, 09:02   #46

Boat: Leopard 51 PowerCat
Re: Anchoring By The Stern

Is the whole issue about stern anchorage only to do with the yacht tacking about if anchor at bow?

imho I would rather ride out a storm in deep water under power into wind and swell at helm if the only other option was shallow anchor with reef/land downwind.

Since none of us would do the above with stern into weather I don’t understand why one would choose to anchor stern to heavy weather.

obv on a cat we have the benefit of bridle from wide apart hulls, but I’m imagining what I’d do on monohull if charter one in Med for example.
Johan Leopard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 09:56   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Leopard51 View Post

... imho I would rather ride out a storm in deep water under power into wind and swell at helm if the only other option was shallow anchor with reef/land downwind.

Since none of us would do the above with stern into weather I don’t understand why one would choose to anchor stern to heavy weather....

A simple example. A huricane is coming and you can either anchor in a huricane hole with multiple anchors and evacuate a state away, or head out to sea? Maybe you would chose to head out. What if the boat is smallish? Few sane people would head out. Do you actually know which way the storm will go? They can go in circles around Florida.

Most of us would do our best to secure the boat and then rely on insurance. On land is an option, but that often fails. Same with marinas.

Yes, the best answer might be to move the boat far away before the storm. Given the unpredictability of storm tracks and the reality of work, that would mean moving the boat from Florida to Virginia for the season.
Old 25-08-2024, 11:11   #48

Boat: Leopard 51 PowerCat

I’m not explaining myself well. If I had no option but anchor in shallows with land downwind, I would no more anchor stern to wind than if caught out in deep without motors I would put drogue anchor on stern.

For me, bow into weather. But my experience more cat than mono. Even if I scale it down to our small powerboat monohull fishing boat - 100% certain drogue anchor on bow not stern in a chaos.
Johan Leopard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 11:16   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Leopard51 View Post
I’m not explaining myself well. If I had no option but anchor in shallows with land downwind, I would no more anchor stern to wind than if caught out in deep without motors I would put drogue anchor on stern.

For me, bow into weather. But my experience more cat than mono. Even if I scale it down to our small powerboat monohull fishing boat - 100% certain drogue anchor on bow not stern in a chaos.

^^ That.

You might try the drogue on the rode, about 5-10 feet forward of the bridle (just far enough to stay in the water), rather than on the stern. I think you will find it works even better.

I have also tried drogues off the bow, but attached to the rode is easier to manage.
Old 25-08-2024, 12:07   #50

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The JSD is deployed off the stern and nearly stops the boat. I know it goes against everything your daddy told you but think about it seriously. It's like changing from lead acid to LiFePO4 batteries. Its a whole new way of thinking.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 13:11   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes. The forces from major hurricane force winds are well beyond design limits of almost all boats. Drogue attachments points at the stern would be ideal. I guess ideal would be to watch the weather occasionally and avoid hurricanes.
Anchoring by the stern is the worst when there is any sort of wind and waves.

So, I wouldn't worry about stern cleats and hurricanes because you would never anchor by the stern for a hurricane. (or in heavy weather)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 14:28   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have used the spring to anchor line a few times. It worked okay for us, but, different from Gord May's diagram, we did not try to turn the boat a full 90 degrees. For us it was roughly 75 deg. It made a huge difference for being able to sleep in spite of the motion.

It is one of many things to play with to see if you can make yourselves more comfortable. Having a stead wind overnight helps the strategy work.

There are some anchorages it is better to leave at 0 dark thirty than to lie awake stewing due to the motion. Ymmv.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 00:20   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We have used the spring to anchor line a few times. It worked okay for us, but, different from Gord May's diagram, we did not try to turn the boat a full 90 degrees. For us it was roughly 75 deg. ...
The angle of offset should be determined by [adding] the vector forces*, acting on the boat, and the net sum will seldom be in a 90° resultant angle.

* Similar to calculating “Course to Steer” [resultant angle], were you account for the destination angle, boat speed, and speed and direction of: wind, tide/current.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring