Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 17:02   #76

Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

I appreciate all the responses I have gotten to my original question! From all the answers I have read, I'm really thinking an inflatable raft is the way to go now.

I wanted something a bit more solid, similar to a dock, where I could at least stand up, have a bit of room. "camping" on an inflatable raft doesn't sound as appealing, but I can live with it.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that I may need an HIN, well, a homebuilt raft won't have one, but inflatable rafts do. So I'll have a craft with an HIN(all that's required for a craft under 16'), a pfd, white light, noise making device(whistle), 3 flares, which in theory, should make it 100% legal.

I'll probably get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093FLVFPQ...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I am now thinking that I will take MicHughV's advice, and put in a couple miles north of Key West. Even if I'm 100% legal, I still don't want to be inspected by LEO in the middle of the night. I'll probably not be noticed a couple miles north of town.

I'll look into Marathon Key, it does sound promising.

Thanks again for all the advice, I will upload pictures, but it's probably just going to end up being a guy on an inflatable raft, nothing too interesting.
crowexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 17:57   #77
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

Another option is to rent a kayak and paddle to some of the out islands in the lower keys. Google tarpon belly key and little rabbit key for some examples of what others have done. An outfitter in the keys can point you in the right direction.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 17:59   #78
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

You can just camp on wisteria for that matter. It’s not legal, but there is an entire “community” over there doing just that.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 18:21   #79

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Crazy idea for your little bit weird endevour.

For four days, 150ft from shore in shallow water how about getting an expired 6-8 person life raft, blow it up once before to check for leaks.
Add a PortaPotti style chemical toilet and some anchor lights.

It's not comfortable, but would make for an interesting experience, has a roof and is more seaworthy than your initial contraption.

Expired rafts are not expensive.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2021, 18:27   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Let me tell you a story, crowexplorer, when I was youngster, I lived 400 miles from any ocean, deep in the heart of Africa.

There was little water around, 'cept for a watering hole, maybe the size of half a football field, fed by a by a small windmill, that pumped water from an underground source.

Wild game used to come and drink here. Around this hole, were some 45 gallon steel drums, cut lengthwise in half, and filled with feed for the wild game, to attract them there.

I can't remember exactly how old I was....maybe 8 or so, but I had this notion, that those half-drums would make a good boat. I purloined a broom stick, a bedsheet and some other odds and ends of string and wood from my mother's house, dragged one of these half-drums to the water's edge and fashioned a sailboat of sorts.

I pushed this contraption into the water, climbed aboard and somehow or another, manage to drift across this watering hole without cutting myself, drowning or any other calamity.

Needless to say, later that evening, all hell broke loose, when my mother learned of my adventure.

I didn't know it then, but it was the start of my sailing career.
After this little episode, I was sent to a far off boarding school, where no watering holes were in the area.

I don't know how old you are, or much of anything about you, but I am testimony to the fact that the Good Lord looks after drunks, fools and sailors.

Hope this tale inspires you ! and that you'll eventually progress to a "real" boat !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 19:59   #81

Boat: EDELCAT33

You got me thinking on the old Everglades Challenge race. Lots of small boats from Ft. Desoto to key largo.
In any rate if you can borrow any 14 or 16 ft catamaran, you can lay one of pop up tents and move your camping as needed. Some of these marinas have delerik hobbies just sitting there. For the price of materials you can probably rent one for your camping adventure.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 01:48   #82

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
You got me thinking on the old Everglades Challenge race. Lots of small boats from Ft. Desoto to key largo.
In any rate if you can borrow any 14 or 16 ft catamaran, you can lay one of pop up tents and move your camping as needed. Some of these marinas have delerik hobbies just sitting there. For the price of materials you can probably rent one for your camping adventure.
This!!
Old 13-12-2021, 03:27   #83

Glad you liked the inflatable option...

Our anchor was a gallon milk jug (Clorox bleach jug back in the 70's!) filled with sand,... topped up with water to dispose any air and whatever scrap rope we could source.

With a second empty 1/2 gallon jug you could even make a temporary mooring.

No cost and completely disposable when done.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 11:08   #84

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
yes, FL the state will provide you a HIN. You must produce all receipts for the materials that were used to build the boat and they will ensure you paid all taxes. You usually need a manufactures statement of origin, which a home builder can provide, but many states require this document to assert the vessel meets USCG standards and you as the builder sign it... They will do a sanity check on the vessel design/build to make sure it appears to be legal per CFR 33 section S, "boating safety" which this vessel would clearly not... After you get issued a HIN, then you deal with registration as a separate process.
It amazing what garbage people spout, knowing very little about what they are talking about. FL will not ask for receipts for your construction materials when registering a homemade boat. They will only ask how much you spent. I presume lying is illegal, but even ridiculous estimates are unlikely to be challenged. But more to the point, non-motorized vessels less than 16 feet in length do not need to be registered in FL.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 14:20   #85

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I am thinking it would be better to take a kayak with tent and supplies to a small island that will stay above the tide.

I built a raft with 55 gallon drums as well, it made it half the way across the pond before coming apart.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 16:41   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Ha, when I was in college, someone drafted the idea of a river race.....no boat could be used, the craft had to be handmade, so myself and several other student concocted a catamaran made from 45 gallon drums, 4 each on each ama, welded together, with a deck over it. On the back, we concocted a paddle wheel arrangement powered by two people. A steel pipe for a mast and huge bedsheet square sail. Those that weren't operating the paddle wheel, had hand paddles.

Downwind, we were hotshots, and first around the mark....alas, we had to turn and race back against the wind. We came in dead last.

My dad made a video of the entire thing, build and race, which I treasure to this day.

It's possible alcohol might have played a factor in our loss.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:30   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowexplorer View Post
I am planning on spending a few days in Key West in January 2022.
I would like to put together a home-made raft:
8ftX8ft, 2x4's and a couple plywood sheets, an innertube strapped to each of the four corners, tent on top.
I plan to moor it in the shallow waters south of Sigsbee, on the south side of the power lines from Garrison Bight Mooring field.
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the local authorities will hassle me? Would I be violating a law or ordinance?
From what i've gathered so far, a non-motorized vessel less than 16ft need not be registered.
I may be required to have a pfd, 3 vds's, a sounding device, and light for overnight, and that's not a problem.
I plan on camping out on it four nights, tops. I'll then disassemble and dispose of it before I return home.
I appreciate any input!
Just call the Police and find. Then you know for sure.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:39   #88

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

I prefer to sound positive when someone has an adventure to pursue, but I can't think of many more disturbing ways to die than searching my pocket or loose wrinkled tent for my knife while fighting my way out of a thin fabric tent as it drowns me in a few feet of water.

Camping on this dock is best as a romantic idea.

You'd likely get a few days on the beach before getting kicked off... and you'd be more comfortable.
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:43   #89

i can only think of one reason to not do this. Just north of there I was bonefishing in water up to my waist. I saw a commotion up on the fishing cat-walk. I went up there as a 1080 pound Tiger Shark was being pulled out the water with a tow truck.

Because I was fishing in one of the two narrow channel leading up the bridge, it is 50% possible that it swam right past me!!!

It had open jaws that looked (to me) bigger than 4' x 8'.

That ended my "Wading in the water"!!

Dennis
ardenlester00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:21   #90

No problem, just do it. I think I speak for all Key Westers, when I say we look forward to your visit.
rmhutch59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west