Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 07:26   #91

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’
Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

I had a swim raft this size in front of a lake house. In anything but calm water no one could stay aboard without holding on for dear life. Mostly the waves were boat wakes. Sounds to me that this will end up a pile of junk someone else will have to clean up. Re direct the funds to a tent in a legitimate camp ground.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:27   #92

Ah C'mon man - don't give up so easy. Anyone can buy an inflatable raft. Takes a man to build his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	249927  
stavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:28   #93

glockbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:37   #94

Would somthing this simple and small need to have mid? OP is talking about 3-4 days! What the hell, I’d go for it! It’s not a “live aboard”. Small vessels are not required to have msd’s Again, for that amount of time, pick your weather and have fun.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:45   #95

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

What a wonderful idea! For sanitation, get a 6" hole saw to make a simple MSD in the center. You could make a sail from a bed sheet and maybe visit the big island 90 miles south of Key West if you wait for a steady gentle north wind. Save the 6" piece removed by the hole saw and use it for a rudder. Use some innovation to build a keel. You won't need an anchor, just pull your craft onto the beach when you arrive on one of the beaches to the east of Havana. Enjoy your first boating adventure.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:45   #96

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

May I suggest an alternative?

A few decades ago, I got the bug to camp in the Keys.

I arraigned to have a local boater take me to an uninhabited island (there are several around Key West including Dry Tortugas. )

I set up a tent, camped several days, and went back on the pre arraigned day 4 days later.

There is an affordable ferry to Fort Jackson for about the cost of your Home Depot run. A few quick phone calls will get you the permission needed to camp in the National park.

There is a restroom in Ft Jackson, and a beautiful snorkle area, plus a historic fort.

Or for more rustic there are several charters that will drop you off, and pick you up on an unihabited island.

The difference between Key West, and anywhere else you have done this is the extreme crowded boating traffic.

And there is nothing between you, and the Atlantic ocean.

Extreme waves, and weather can happen at any time, a storm far offshore can send huge waves around the Keys.

And last, but not least, every sq ft of available anchor space is occupied by boats of every size, and description. Instead of quiet solitude, you will be surrounded by hundreds of people like you that got the same exact idea, not to mention fishing speedboats that start racing through the anchorage at about 4am to be the first boat to the fish.

I hope you have a bright anchor light.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:48   #97

The question needs to be answered: Why are you doing this? What is the real goal?

If a one time camping adventure, it will be WAY more hassle than worth and there are numerous options that are better. Why not get a boat and be done with it, or take your tent and kayak to a water accessible campsite and have fun there, or kayak to an island and camp there.

For starters, you need sanitation, water, food and a place to sleep.

If this is permanent, don't think it will fly.

However, if you want to carry this out, there is NO requirement to title or register this, nor are any safety inspections required.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:33   #98

Boat: Oyster 46

I live in Marathon and there are no commercial flights.

There is no way finding a parking space for a truck in Key West for four nights is worth it. Expensive and not in the areas you want to be in (for stealth)

Strong winds are real but predictable. But expect any direction is possible, but winds are accurately forecast in a general sense. Keep in mind that the strong winds last for days as the Front moves through first from SW to W (or just West initially), NW to N and finally to NE. And then settling to the East which generally are pretty tame. But any storm front could easily take your entire four nights of time. Generally there are more windy days than calm in the Winter. (opposite in the Summer)

There are so many (almost anywhere) places better for this adventure. Key West is simply not going to tolerate this activity willingly. The homeless population and tourists on a "budget" are closely monitored. Though as mentioned earlier you could camp in a homeless camp - no problem.

As mentioned the local businesses are not going to provide bathrooms. (too many homeless requests)

As mentioned earlier the Chickee huts in Everglades National Park are set up for exactly this kind of camping its "The Wilderness Waterway". Fly to Miami (way cheaper). Drive to Flamingo (in Everglades Park) park for free and rent a Kayak at the Camp Store. Camp on the Chickee Platforms with porta-potties provided.

The Wilderness Waterway is far less susceptible to large waves from the passing storm fronts. Everglades National Park also has many "traditional" campsites as a backup plan. But in January there may not be any campground vacancies. (I have no personal experience to guide me for this specific campground. But in general campsites are booked many, many months in advance in and around The Florida Keys.)

Drive to Key West for the day if you really think you need to see it.
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:37   #99

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Sounds like a "Here hold my Beer" idea!!!!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:44   #100
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Prepare to be visited by local law enforcement. They might leave you alone if you are right next to shore but I would not count on it.

I agree with an earlier post about the locals not being thrilled with tourists on a "budget". The days of camping out of your van down there for free have long been over.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:46   #101

Boat: Catalina 22

Non-motorized vessels under 16 feet in length do not require any form of hull identification. As long as you have a life jacket and a producible white light, you won't be in violation of maritime ordinances. If you aren't up on shore, there is a good chance the law will leave you alone. If they do visit, just tell them you're doing a camping experiment and comply with whatever they ask you to do.

Finding a public park or bathroom that you can point to will help your case.

All that said, your vessel does not sound seaworthy. If you encounter any kind of weather, or sharp underwater obstacles, there is a good chance you'll end up in an unsalvageable mess.

Consider this, buy a canoe, rig a small tarp cover over it and sleep in the bottom of the canoe. Though a canoe costs slightly more then a raft, consider the time you will save setting it up, the great speed and seaworthiness upgrade, its inconspicuous nature, and reuseability. Either size vessel is a bit constricting to live aboard, but a canoe you can at least paddle around and go in to shore very quickly.

Best of luck! Have a good adventure!
hideshisfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 09:43   #102

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryo View Post
The question needs to be answered: Why are you doing this? What is the real goal?

If a one time camping adventure, it will be WAY more hassle than worth and there are numerous options that are better. Why not get a boat and be done with it, or take your tent and kayak to a water accessible campsite and have fun there, or kayak to an island and camp there.

For starters, you need sanitation, water, food and a place to sleep.

If this is permanent, don't think it will fly.

However, if you want to carry this out, there is NO requirement to title or register this, nor are any safety inspections required.
Kayaking to camp on a mangrove island that has a beach is another thing I've done with good success.

Pro tip, Bring a mosquito screen after dark.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 09:58   #103

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

When I was on Key West, 2005 - 2007 there was always fresh dug holes around the mangrove high water marks.

I never knew if those were rats or crabs, but I never thought I'd like to sleep there.
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 10:11   #104

Boat: Grady-White Islander 27

I've boated around Key West for 15+ years. You'll have some trouble with your plan around Sigsbee Key because it is part of the Naval Base and you will be required to anchor at least 100 yards offshore. The waters in that bay are generally shallow and full of sea grass; many areas are only a few feet deep at low tide. There is a channel inland about a quarter mile SW of the S end of the Sigsbee Causeway that leads to a mangrove area inland. It is also accessible from behind Ross Dress For Less in the Overseas Market Shopping Mall directly across Roosevelt Ave from Home Depot. Behind Ross', you can park a truck temporarily in a sandy area to assemble and/or launch your craft. Set a Google Map image to 'terrain' and zoom in on the Home Depot, then look just S where Roosevelt crosses a small creek [Sunset Jetskis is on the NE side of that bridge on the canal/creek]. This area would also be a decent place to land a small dinghy, but keep it hidden in the mangroves during the day as it is not a particularly secure area. There are public bathrooms at Garrison Bight Marina, just down Roosevelt a mile or so. Also public bathrooms at Key West Bight Marina further into town. I actually believe that you could actually anchor in the widened area just S of the Roosevelt Ave bridge over that creek/canal. It gets very little traffic and is fully protected from any waves/wind. I've dinghyed up that canal/creek many times and it cuts through Key West and comes out by Cow Key just S of Stock Island. You will probably need a truck for a day to launch your craft. Personally, I would use some type of inflatable, as it would be much more seaworthy and would double as your way back to shore. An 8' used inflatable would not cost much, is very portable, can be pumped up with a cheap footpump, and would be easy to row. Another possibility is getting an inflatable dinghy, camping on Wisteria Key, and rowing your dinghy across to Key West Bight Marina and using the public dinghy dock there during the day. It costs each day but is used by lots of people who are living aboard at anchor around Wisteria Key. You would fit right in there. Anyhow, good luck to you and perhaps we'll run into you this winter.
dansitarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:22   #105

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

OK ... You're doing all this for four nights of rest?? Are you sure you want to get your research done on this site??? Maybe you could find a panhandling site or a squatters rights site. Is there some point you are trying to prove with this scheme? Such as an exercise in your rights . How about this, find a derelict abandon boat and pump the water out and move in, or buy an inflatable boat at WalMart. May be easier than walking on the beach with 2 sheets of plywood, 8 2x4s, 4 tire tubes and a hammer and some nails. Also where will you dispose of this junk when the 4 night hiatus ends, in the water or dragged me up on someone's property ? I guess you could sail it to Cuba and sell the building materials.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west