Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2012, 04:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: why 300 ft of CHAIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
... I don't recall the size of cutlass's boat he did not say the size. But if Cutlass does have a smaller boat then he should add as much chain as he can without effecting his boat ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass View Post
...(my boat is a 39ft catamaran)
Thanks!
He indicated a 39' Cat, in post #1.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 18:19   #17

Thanks for everyone's input!

So I gather that I'll need at least 200ft of chain

Is it ok to add on more chain to what I've got?

Unfortunately I don't know what manufacturer my current chain is. I'm concerned that there might be corrosion if they are not the exact same metal
cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:15   #18

Re: Anchoring in the Pacific

From Portland, OR, to Chile, to Thailand and many places in between the deepest anchorage anywhere, for me, was Isles Gambier at 60' (French Polynesia).
I had 300' of G4 5/8 and a knock-off Bruce. Bent the shaft of the Bruce somewhere so now I have 10mm chain, 80 metres of of it and 30kg knock off Bruce. Real ones are impossible to come by unless you can win one in a poker game.
Chain length of 80 m will be plenty. I also have a big CQR, another 22 kg Bruce knock off and the the bent Bruce.
42' steel sloop.
There are many inexpensive items in Tahiti, by the way. Think Eurozone and no duty.
I don't care about weight or speed. I do just fine.
Pete
Old 13-09-2012, 19:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You need to figure out what chain you've got which should be the chain that fits your windlass gypsy. There may be identification embossed on the chain like G4 or G3. The chain gypsy on the windlass should have a part number or some form of ID that your windlass mfg can link to a specific chain.

Most different types of chain have different link configuration. BBB is different than G4 etc as are the alloys that they are made out of. Same type of chain should get along fine with it's brethren. Doubt that there would be all that much of a problem even if you used different grades of chain.

The easiest and nearly the strongest way to join the chain is with a 'C' link. The American made varieties are nearly as strong as the chain. Could cause a problem going around the gypsy but I doubt it. Stay away from the ersatz varieties of links. If you don't know the provenance, stay away. Another possible way to join the chain is with Dyneema type line. It's stronger than the chain and can be made up to be the same link spacing as the chain. That line is extremely chafe resistant and virtually no stretch so shouldn't be much of an issue. Would still want to inspect regularly, however.

As far as length of chain, we went with 230' and only used the full length once. That length with a 100' of rope rode spliced to it should suffice for almost any anchorage you'll get into. Having said that, there is no reason not to have more chain except for the weight in the bow and storage ability. Oh, forgot, and money.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 22:16   #20
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

I agree with Toms Answer above! I also had a bad experience in Panama, when a pleasure Panama Canal cruising boat cut my anchor line with their propellers. I came back from the bar to find my boat re-anchored 10 feet from the rocks saved by a fellow cruiser, only seconds away from a disaster.
Now a shameless Plug: you can get a Mantus Anchor and since it stows (breaks down for easy storage you can have it stowed for a rainy day) without any compromise on performance.
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring