Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2007, 09:51   #1

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Anchoring question

Hello all!

I sail the Bay of Green Bay and will do more into Lake Michigan in the coming years. Waters in this area, aren't as clear as one would hope for, so knowing what's down below when anchoring is a challenge.

I lost an anchor last sailing season after when I anchored up in Little Sturgeon Bay, the anchor dragged, however I was able to reset. Well, my luck, she reset near a big underwater boulder which one couldn't see given the dark water. So I lost a danforth anchor, but saved as much anchor line as possible.

I'd rather not lose another anchor, so anyone have any comments, suggestions on how to avoid this problem again? This area is not sandy bottomed like the bahamas, or other tropical climates. So tips, suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Mark
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 10:16   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
Did you mark the spot with GPS?
Some folks use a trip line attached to the crown just a little longer than the depth they anchor in and attach an old empty clorox bottle or little fender to it for a buoy. Then if the anchor becomes snagged you can motor or pull your way over to the buoy, grab the trip line and pull the anchor up from the crown rather than from the end of the shank. It works but the disadvantage is that if you are in an anchorage for a few days then your anchor road and the trip line have a tendency to wrap around each other and tangle.
You've probably heard of this before?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 10:17   #3

Oops,
Rode not Road. I should reread my posts before hitting the send button.
Old 26-02-2007, 12:13   #4

Anchor trip line

Thanks!

I know roughly where it was where I lost the anchor. Apparently, most sailors will go through losing gear either overboard or in my case, never able to retrieve an anchor. (oh, opted NOT to dive into these waters - no wetsuit on board LOL). Some other boaters and an older couple fishing in their boat came over to help, but with no success (and he had a 75 hp outboard hard at work) so I know my little 9.9 at the time, wasn't gonna do it.

I've heard of the trip line idea, I've heard it works well. I'd like to gain feedback from other boaters on it.
Old 26-02-2007, 12:21   #5

A few ways to keep anchors./retrieve a hung anchor.
1. Always carry scuba gear
2. Never anchor deeper than you can free dive or where you aren't willing to dive.
3. Always attach a float to the anchor's head.

I chose #2 whenever possible.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 22:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No.2 will dramaticaly limit the number of places you are going to be able to anchor around NZ:-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 06:12   #7

anchor retrieval

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. But, waters of Lake Michigan and the Bay of Green Bay are still pretty chilly. Not my first choice to plop into the drink (especially green bay !) to retrieve an anything.

If was in warm climates, that would be a different story.

But if I do bluewater cruising, one thing I will do is get my scuba license and not JUST for resetting or clearing a fouled anchor.

smiles
Mark
Old 27-02-2007, 08:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
No.2 will dramaticaly limit the number of places you are going to be able to anchor around NZ:-)
That's why I won't be anchoring there! That and the thousands of miles and thousands of islands I'd have to pass to get there. Give the the tropic sand island with gentle sloping white sand bottoms! Anchor in less than 10' all day.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 27-02-2007, 08:25   #9

Or you could use one of these to look before anchoring. I got one last year but haven't had a chance to really use it for it's intended purpose. Which is to check on the anchor.

Cabela's -- Aqua-Vu Scout Underwater Cameras

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 27-02-2007, 10:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I may have told this story before, but...
A popular area for shelter with good anchoring in the sounds, had a boat calling for help one mornign. They were asking if any divers were in the area that could help them retrieve their anchor.
I didn't hear how the story ended.
Two weeks later I was anchored in the same bay. I lifted my anchor, which is done from the pilot house via a chaincounter/winch controll system. I then turned out of the bay and headed up the sound. About an hr later I decided to take a stroll Forward and watch the water pass by under the bow. As I looked over, I noticed a heavey line hooked over my anchor. I pulled the line and ended up pulling in about 50 odd ft of 16mm rope. It was trailing under the boat all this time. I got to the end of the line and found a freshly frayed end. I am not sure if I was trailing an anchor and it had finaly broken free or not. But it gave me quite a fright and I suddenly remembered the VHF story and wondered if maybe I had caught the guy's anchor and hauled it off down the sounds unknowingly.

Old 27-02-2007, 11:15   #11

Aloha Wheels,
Quite a story. Nice to have everything controlled from the pilot house, however, your story could have turned out badly if it had been chain you snagged. Do you now check thoroughly after that incident?
laters,
JohnL
Old 27-02-2007, 11:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We've used a “looking bucket” – basically a glass-bottomed bucket, which breaks up the surface distortions.
I’ve made them using some scrap Lexan or Plexiglas, 5200 adhesive sealant, and a painted (dark colour) bucket. Cut a hole in the bucket bottom, and seal the glass in.
Most buckets have a bottom rim, which might trap refractive air pockets between the water and the lens. Cut several slot channels in the rim, to allow air to bleed off.

New & Used Scuba Dive Gear - Underwater Battiscope
- U/W Viewer Bucket Sea Underwater: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 19:45   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well it could have been a plus if it was 10mm chain. I need more chain ;-)
I was very lucky it didn't all go around the prop though. and I will never ever be sure if I ever dragged the ancor of it had been cut or if I broke it lifting or whatever. 26T boat with a 2.5T winch and 150Hp of engine and you don't really notice a heck of a lot.

Old 27-02-2007, 23:03   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Have never lost an anchor, or failed to retreive one after yers of living on the hook and more years as a part timer doing thousands of anchoring gigs.
Half of the time I have used plows and the other half flukes.

If the anchor gets stuck: Screw with it, yank on it, change directions, etc., if that does not work, dive on it.

In some cases ya may get the anchor hooked on an underwater cable or some other man-made obstuction, or sunken debris like a wreck.

Just sit back, have another beer and spend the night.
Odds are the anchor will come loose in a while.
Old 28-02-2007, 04:06   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man

If the anchor gets stuck: Screw with it, yank on it, change directions, etc., if that does not work, dive on it.

I left a pick behind once about 50 ft away from where we saw the 14 ft resident saltwater crocadile the day before.

The anchor was only a spare cheap danforth on some old chain, so no biggy and I wasn't diving for it.

Another time we lost a plough in Shoalwater Bay Bombing range.

We had to go as live firing was going to start in 24 hours, but the night before we were catching plate size grassy sweetlip and live baiting them for thing's that once hooked were moving the boat around on anchor [ 2500kg cat ].

I was using 8mm double braid spinnaker sheet rope, big piano wire and big hook's around a Andersen 28 and couldnt get them up for a look, kept breaking wire and straightening extra strong hook's.

I was'nt diving for that anchor either.

I just don't feel happy swimming with big bitey thing's in murky, currenty water.

Dave

Tags
anchor, anchoring