Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2009, 10:56   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
overkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
Snubber hook should be at least as strong as the chain..
The snubber hook need only be as strong as the nylon snubber itself.

I've yet to see a reason to invest huge amounts into a snubber system. A six-dollar galvanized chain hook, properly sized, and forty feet of 1/2' nylon three-strand, and I've got what I need for normal anchorage. For storm conditions, a spare chain hook to which I can shackle a couple of stout 1" dock lines, and I'm set.
Old 15-03-2009, 11:04   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
As I keep thinking about what Gord wrote (long snubber) I actually think that his experience is valid, but only because the snubber is too thick. If it is, it won't stretch enough and you need more length to achieve the same shock absorbing effect. I think 1/2" nylon for a 6500 lbs boat is more an anchor rode than a snubber.

Gord, you should try a 10' snubber from 5/16" 3-strand nylon !!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:09   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Bash: I tried galvanized because I don't like stainless on my galvanized chain, but it became a real mess with corrosion etc. I since switched to a stainless hook (still rather cheap) and never had any trouble ( > 5 years now). But I also try to keep it above water because of growth on the nylon part.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:23   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
Sorry Chala,

I’ve been using this type of snubber hook during years of living aboard, and It didn’t unhook once!..

About the nice looking shiny "Wichard « main de fer »", have a look at its SWL... about half the one of the chain it is used to... and they have been several cases of broken ones..

João
Sorry Joao...I have that type unhook twice in 70+ kt winds and big surge in an anchorage. I find it safer using a knot now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 11:24   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Gord: never tested my theory, but I think a snubber can be too long.
I think a 1/2" nylon snubber is too thick for a 29' 6500 lbs boat.
Nick.
You may be right about “too much of a good thing”, regarding snubber length. I’ve never fully deployed my “long” snubbers, but have been disappointed with short (15' - 20' ?) jury-rigged shock-absorbers.
I also deploy a sentinel weight, which many of our mathematically inclined theorists will dismiss, which may mitigate some of the “bow swing” of which you warn. Nonetheless, the minor inconvenience of un-deployed line on deck has never discouraged me from fabricating longer snubbers.

Your right - my entire “permanent” mooring tackle was way oversized. I re-rigged that (huge) existing concrete block mooring, and sized everything to accommodate much larger boats (50 - 60' range).
My normal anchor rodes* consisted of 1/4" and 5/16" H.T Chain, with ½" & 5/16" rope, snubbed with 3/8" line**. (*I carried 3 or 4 anchor assemblies).

** See my annecdote about a "small stuff" snubber.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 19:01   #36

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Lightbulb Thanks Kanani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Not enough can be said about not motoring into wind gusts. Very dangerous. Having the motor running to avoid other vessels dragging by or getting out if something breaks, is a good idea.
Thanks for that Kanani - got me thinking more about what I should do - which is the prime reason for participating in the forum.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 20:37   #37
Marine Service Provider

Interesting thread.

When deploying 2 anchors I use the technique that Kanani said at the start. But I run my rodes out at more like 120 degrees with one set out further than the other. If the boat swings one rode goes over the other and apart from a small rope overlap everything stays nice. All the anchor rodes and usually anchors (I play with many anchors so can be mismatched at times) I carry are identical in every way.

But saying that I know a few people who have used and swear by the in-line method. Personally doing it my way leaves you knowing for sure the systems are well set and I like knowing that.

Snubber I don't use currently, I run rope chain combo rodes so don't need one. But short fat snubbers are only good for noise stopping. Longer thinner work sooner and more smoothly when talking shock absorption. We run the programme of one size rope down from what would normally be used and longer rather than shorter. Remembering that 99% of the time the weakest item in your system is the anchors holding load rather than any of the gear behind it. But then as you get up in boat size it does swing the other way often.

Roger, you would have fun in real big waves trying to hold your boat with the motor I'd think. Check my thingy to the left to see why I say that, it has one of my current toys listed
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:02   #38

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’ve never had a standard chain hook come off my snubber either; but would prefer a longer throat as shown on the Wichard hook; or the one thinwater fabricated here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ans-24462.html

I also wonder why the snubber line is not directly attached with a braided eye & thimble. The pictured assembly is only approximately as strong as a single wrap of the smaller stuff.
Does anyone know if the attached chain shorteners stay on the chain very well. It says that it has a spring (you can see it in the pic) to hold the chain in but I'm sure that it would corrode off in short order.

Anyone?
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain Snubber.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	8168  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 00:17   #39
Marine Service Provider

It should do Extemp as long as you have the load on the snubber not the chain. But it is a steel fitting and will rust, not big nasty stuff as it is a high tensile steel which tend to get nasty surface rust more than the flaky rust.

Yes the spring will rust out in no time. No it is not a good idea to galvanise it as it is a very high tensile steel so it could go quite bad. I suppose you could cold galv it, that would be OK.
Old 22-05-2009, 15:04   #40
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
The only stories of chain hooks coming off I know of were caused by touching bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Does anyone know if the attached chain shorteners stay on the chain very well. It says that it has a spring (you can see it in the pic) to hold the chain in but I'm sure that it would corrode off in short order.

Anyone?
Extemp.
Normally, to keep the hook on, you want a nice lazy loop of chain hanging down between the boat and the hook. It weights the hook. However, if you anchor in shallow waters a lot, it is common for the hook to lay on the bottom. Then, there is one chance in very many, with no load, that it can forced off by the mud.

You can lash the hook on, anchor deeper, not worry about it coming off because the line backs it up and you will hear the change, or you can build or buy one with a latch.

Also, Kong makes a locking chain grab shackle, but I have never heard anyone speak of it. Defender carries it.

I am happy with my plate, but also consider that catamarans use snubbers / bridles every night and in a different way.
Old 22-05-2009, 20:21   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Also, Kong makes a locking chain grab shackle, but I have never heard anyone speak of it. Defender carries it.
We've got those but not huge fans to be honest. The loads are surprisingly low, which isn't really a biggie I suppose. The hassle we see is just doing up and undoing a shackle. Could be quite trick in some cases and if all hell was breaking lose that may take a minute or 2 'just too long'. But they are nicely made, have captive pins and a nice end to attach the rope. I'd prefer a hook/plate arrangement myself.
Old 22-05-2009, 22:12   #42

Boat: Skookum 53'
Why not rig a pelican hook on the end of your snubber?
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 03:38   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What GMac said about Kong Chain Grippers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kong Chain Gripper.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	8205  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 14:31   #44
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Interesting to hear the report - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
We've got those but not huge fans to be honest. The loads are surprisingly low, which isn't really a biggie I suppose. The hassle we see is just doing up and undoing a shackle. Could be quite trick in some cases and if all hell was breaking lose that may take a minute or 2 'just too long'. But they are nicely made, have captive pins and a nice end to attach the rope. I'd prefer a hook/plate arrangement myself.

That is the nice thing about forums.

Yes, the fiddling while hanging over the bow discouraged me from buying the Kong Grabber. The plate, and the other hand, is threaded under the rode, and the chain practically falls into it when you move it side-to-side. A chain hook is probably better suited to a monohull - I defer to those who have them.
Old 23-05-2009, 17:27   #45
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
A chain hook is probably better suited to a monohull - I defer to those who have them.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, cyclones, hurricane, storms