Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2015, 03:39   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt Forna 37
Thumbs down Anchorlift experience

Anchorlift Experience
I would like to share my experience with potential anchor gear buyers.
When I built my Van de Stadt Forna 37 I bought the best equipment money can buy. I thought Norwegian Anchorlift anchor winches were amongst them. Everything I bought still works flawlessly except…….. Anchorlift winches.
When I istalled the first winch, a Mako 1212 (oversized for the size of our boat to be sure of a reliable operation) the solenoid did not work. I had to repair it myself with Anchorlift instructions. In the first 3 years the winch has been used maybe 3 times; not necessary in the Netherlands. But, the handheld control unit stopped working properly and I replaced it by a professional building crane switch box.
We left the Netherlands 2 years ago and used the winch in the Rias in Spain; no problem.
Last year we used the winch in the Baleares where it broke down whilst hoisting the anchor. The shaft of the motor was simply broken. The gearbox could not be removed properly because it was corroded in such a way that pieces simply fell off. (Anchorlift paint works as a corrosion accelerator instead of a corrosion preventer)
Happily, after an expensive stay in a marina in Ibiza, a Dutch supplier could supply a new gearbox and motor. Anchorlift itself did not act adequately to my requests because all personnel was on holiday or something like.
The new gear was installed and went OK until three weeks ago. The gearbox started to make noise as if grinding coffee and the winch became very slow. I took the motor off; it worked well. After one week Anchorlift could only tell me that the winch risked to stop working totally and advised me to buy a new gearbox and motor. Information could be found on their website. I do not need a motor but Anchorlift changed the design. We were stuck in Greece; our voyage ended because of unreliable, not properly working Anchorlift gear.
This means that Anchorlift proposed me to buy and install a third Anchorlift anchorwinch within not more than 2 years operation!
Note; I always use a painter to unload the winch under anchor; the winch is oversized for the size and weight of my boat and has always been operated with care.
After 2 weeks Anchorlift agreed to send a new gearbox and motor combo for free; I proposed to pay the shipping fee. They sent an invoice for USD 468,65; for shipping the gear from the US to Greece; they apparently do not have a European service base. As a consequence I have to pay import duties as well and wait for another 2 weeks. (German SVB Versand ships a new winch in 3 days for Eur 6,95!!)
The cost for a product that has lost my confidence and service that is worse than the product would be almost the same as a new winch, so my boat will not be equipped with Anchorlift gear any more!
Lode van der Pol

Pollode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 04:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anchorlift experience

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lode.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 06:51   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt Forna 37

next spring I will install most probably a Lofrans vertical winch.
note: a quick survey here in Greece showed that many owners of this make are pretty happy with it
Pollode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 21:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Welcome aboard. Sorry it sounds like you had a very unusual situation and really unfortunate, too. You might wish to make numerous posts building up your cred here on CF before making a post that seems to just be badmouthing a particular vendor. You're not asking for assistance--nor did you ask for assistance during your problems. You've been a member since 2012--why didn't you ask questions here while you were having problems? Again, I'm sorry for your troubles. Fair winds, Brenda PS I know nothing of your brand of anchor windlass.

Tags
anchor, enc, lift