Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 04:50   #1726
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Anchors - Bigger is Better ?

Tomasz,

When it started to go down the tubes about 2-3 weeks ago I sat back and watched in embarrassed amazement that I was the root cause.

But thanks for the support.

It was interesting and I for one learnt more than I had expected.

I would have to agree - I do not think there is much to add to the topic, or if there is - its been kept very secret

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 04:54   #1727
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
- I do not think there is much to add to the topic, or if there is - its been kept very secret

Jonathan
Was there an answer that accepted?
Old 31-03-2014, 14:52   #1728
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
On the basis the question is not meant to be provocative and a sign of frustration or annoyance I'll try to provide a fair and balanced summary within the next 48 hours, I'm a bit time short today. If anyone feels it necessary to comment on the summary, that its biased - wait and see, I'll ammend the summary to incorporate any errors I might make.

I will only address the core question 'Bigger is better?'

Jonathan
Old 31-03-2014, 15:10   #1729

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
On the basis the question is not meant to be provocative and a sign of frustration or annoyance I'll try to provide a fair and balanced summary within the next 48 hours, I'm a bit time short today. If anyone feels it necessary to comment on the summary, that its biased - wait and see, I'll ammend the summary to incorporate any errors I might make.

I will only address the core question 'Bigger is better?'

Jonathan
If it helps, please note that all of my ex-wives and girlfriends would have probably preferred "bigger" AND "better", but we do what we can with what we've got.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:08   #1730

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
If it helps, please note that all of my ex-wives and girlfriends would have probably preferred "bigger" AND "better", but we do what we can with what we've got.

Jacques
Surely that is not just a Dutch problem, Jacques.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:12   #1731

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Hi Jonathan

I think this thread was really interesting, but came to the end of its useful life.
Probably all the views and arguments regarding "Bigger IS Better" or "Bigger IS NOT Better" were presented and discussed thoroughly.
We can now only see this thread drifting and meandering - unhappily often towards the very personal opinons on the design of particular anchors. Interesting matters, but not belonging to this thread.
So when I want to tell You "Thank You very much for opening this thread" I, at the same time, do believe it is the time for this thread to be closed.

My very best regards

Tomasz
I expect you are right.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:37   #1732

there hasn't been a post on this thread in a coons age that had anything to do with the original question including this one
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:53   #1733

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
there hasn't been a post on this thread in a coons age that had anything to do with the original question including this one
Let me rephrase that:

A pair of 105 lb. CQRs on 350 ft. of 1/2'' galvanized chain will keep you where you want to be anywhere on the ICW.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 19:03   #1734

Boat: PETERSON 44

I think that's like 820 lbs hanging in your bow or near that area. Good luck. I think having a decent hook ready with appropriate chain is good. Then you need to decide how your second hook is available . Where that chain is and you will dig it out and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 19:16   #1735

If we cannot agree bigger is better, then that must mean smaller is better. . So I am dumping my 105 mantis for a 20 lb wm special
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 19:28   #1736
cruiser

I think we do agree bigger is better. No matter what you got, adding 10 lbs isn't gonna hurt.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 20:42   #1737
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
If we cannot agree bigger is better, then that must mean smaller is better. . So I am dumping my 105 mantis for a 20 lb wm special
Not knowing what a '105 Mantis' nor a '20lb WM special' might be, nor the size of the boat - its really difficult to comment, if this is a cultural misunderstanding, I apologise.

Jonathan
Old 31-03-2014, 21:58   #1738

Quote:
Not knowing what a '105 Mantis' nor a '20lb WM special' might be, nor the size of the boat - its really difficult to comment, if this is a cultural misunderstanding, I apologise.

Jonathan
105lb mantas. Anchor vs a 20lb. West marine brand special
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 22:48   #1739
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

The overwhelming concensus was that Bigger is actually Better.

This must please the anchor makers

Most respondents had embraced the new style anchors, which covered: Mantus, Spade, Ultra, Supreme, Excel, SARCA, Fortress and Kobra. There was little evidence of support for the Boss, maybe it is too new.

Most, except some Australians, who posted used modern concave anchors. Not many users of the Kobra (a European derived, modern, convex model) posted (they have a European focussed forum?)

Most owners of concave anchors had upgraded from an older style and when doing so had taken the opportunity to upgrade in size of anchor at the same time. Some observations must thus be tempered by the idea comparison of performance was not entirely 'fair' - one would expect a heavier modern anchor to be better than a lighter older style. It never came through that people had bought a modern concave anchor of the recommended size, thought better of their decision, and then discarded it (sold it on ebay) and gone off and bought an even bigger anchor.

There was one notable exception where an individual had replaced their modern concave anchor with an older style concave anchor - but he believed in Bigger is Better, even for his older style anchor (I recall a genuine Bruce, but it might have been a good clone).

There was little support for use of 2 smaller anchors deployed in a 'V' (instead of carrying one big anchor) based on fears that if the wind turned through 180 degrees, or more, the entangled rodes were a major hazard. The idea of the wind turning through 180 degrees might reflect the predominance of circular storms in America.

Though the original concept of Bigger is Better was directly associated with use of lighter but strong G7 chain - there was no indication at all that G7 chain has gained any traction. Most respondents thought bigger is better, whether you used a lighter chain, or not (the chain makers must be horror struck).

Virtually all of the comments were subjective as no-one, reasonably, had set a lighter anchor in 50 knots of wind and when it dragged set an identically designed anchor 2 sizes bigger - and not dragged.

The use, or popularity, of bigger is better has no restrictions in terms of seabed - it is believed better in soft, hard, muddy and weedy seabeds.

It was difficult to judge whether the comments that bigger is better was based on a generalisation (go to the next sized anchor bigger than recommended) or go for 2 sizes bigger which was the basis of the original question.

But reiterating

The concensus was that a bigger anchor is, without any shadow of doubt, better than a smaller one.

What have I missed?

Jonathan
Old 31-03-2014, 22:59   #1740

Boat: PETERSON 44
Anchors - Bigger is Better ?

I have given this much thought. My current plan is too use the cheapest old anchor I can get. I will drop it just upwind of a bigger better boat and it should drag across his newer anchor and fetch up on his chain. Given that he is bigger and better then me he will do everything he can to make sure I don't scratch his boat. I should be fine and maybe i can hang out on his boat while he or his crew sorts it out.
Bigger is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Boss, Bugel, fortress, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, rocna