Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 16:47   #376
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Anchors, Bigger is Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Marketing hype, oh my god we are bending shackles! Lousy shackles I'd say.
+1

A decent shackle like a 5/8" crosby 209 should have an ultimate breaking load of close to 20t, if one is bending at just 4.2t something is dangerously wrong.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:05   #377

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not really. The west marine 7/16 china shackle has a Wll of 1.5 tons the Crosby has a wll of 2.6 tons. Yes you can bend or break a pos china shackle.. Given the cost no reason not to have a decent termination at the hook end.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:24   #378
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Not really. The west marine 7/16 china shackle has a Wll of 1.5 tons the Crosby has a wll of 2.6 tons. Yes you can bend or break a pos china shackle.. Given the cost no reason not to have a decent termination at the hook end.
Also worth bearing in mind WLL doesn't mean without knowing the factor of safety used.

And a well dug in anchor doesn't mean much on it's own either.
Old 16-03-2013, 17:55   #379

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Cannot go wrong with Crosby Shackles for just a few dollars more than the China ones.

You have a very expensive boat hanging on this Shackle.

Crosby 7/16, G-209A Shackle (WLL) (Working Load Limit) is 5333 lbs. or 2.6 tons

Just looking at them tells you all the important info you need. No guessing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crosby_Shackle_7-16.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	57174  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 18:23   #380

Course you could go spend hundreds on these new gen hooks. Load up with all chain and then have it all ride on crap shackle.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:24   #381

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Course you could go spend hundreds on these new gen hooks. Load up with all chain and then have it all ride on crap shackle.
I see that all the time. The most common thing is to see a cheapo anchor shackle connecting to the chain that is one or two sizes too small, and often not moused, probably rusty too.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:33   #382
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Cannot go wrong with Crosby Shackles for just a few dollars more than the China ones.

You have a very expensive boat hanging on this Shackle.

Crosby 7/16, G-209A Shackle (WLL) (Working Load Limit) is 5333 lbs. or 2.6 tons

Just looking at them tells you all the important info you need. No guessing
Yep, nice shackle, didn't this come up just the other day? The 209A has a 4.5:1 factor of safety of ultimate breaking strength to WLL whereas the 209 factor of safety is 6:1.
WLL on it's own doesn't tell you that much.
Same as some anchor digging in to 4.2t means little with no mention of the bottom or comparisons of other anchors tested in the same seabed.
Old 16-03-2013, 19:53   #383

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Factors of safety often vary according to the reliability of the material being used rather than a more conservative approach. Annealed with internal cooling stresses reduced may result in a lower factor of safety being used for the same WLL.
The unpredictable loading regime means all shackles should have a higher factor of safety than say reinforcing steel where it is generally not much over 2.
For shackles I would rely more on the WLL than breaking load since a high factor of safety may just be saying there is more unpredictability for the breaking load.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 20:05   #384

West marine 7/16 shackle has a WLL of 1.5 and is made in china.. Crosby shackle is wll 2.6 made in USA. Guess which one I trust.
Old 16-03-2013, 20:22   #385

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Agree, if the WestMarine one has lower WLL for same size then there is a good reason. Lower grade of casting material and less reliable breaking load maybe?
Crosby has a great reputation here in NZ too.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 00:17   #386
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Agree, if the WestMarine one has lower WLL for same size then there is a good reason. Lower grade of casting material and less reliable breaking load maybe?
Crosby has a great reputation here in NZ too.
I think worldwide Crosby is regarded as good as it gets for shackles & lifting equipment. The wll also varies with whichever particular type approval and certification it adheres to. 209a is 4.5:1 whereas others designed for the offshore market might be more like 8:1.
The Chinese ones might well be 1:1, if that

Anyway, back on topic, has this link been posted yet...

One Big Anchor Better Than Multiple Anchors In Almost All Situations
Old 17-03-2013, 01:53   #387
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Anyway, back on topic, has this link been posted yet...

One Big Anchor Better Than Multiple Anchors In Almost All Situations
That's roughly where the thread started but it look as though it was becoming 'The Crosby Show'
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 01:59   #388

I've long inclined towards the "one big anchor" philosophy as a prime strategy, (and, less fashionably, big chain) but there's something which has to be said: if you're sailing in tiger country, you have to expect that you may lose your main anchor and chain.

So you need (in my view) to keep the skills and knowledge alive to get by with several smaller anchors as a backup, until you can make it back to civilisation and replenish your big anchor stock.

Even if your lazarette is sufficiently large and well stocked, it's not very realistic to nonchalantly wander up to the bow with another 40 or 50kg anchor when it's blowing dogs off chains, you've had to slip your main rode because of some unforeseen contingency, and your location is now exposed.

Another thing: you may need to lay out another anchor in a new direction* in expectation of a wind change, when you don't have sufficient room to leeward to lie to the one you're on .... which may be so well buried and difficult to lift you daren't risk it in the conditions, or may literally be unable to, especially if it's a biggie.

*(whether from a dingy - or even swimming! no kidding - fenders and flippers - fixes the windage problem)

So while the "Single Big Anchor" is an ideal, as in the case of most ideals, I reckon it doesn't pay to put all your eggs in that one basket.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 02:21   #389

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
I've long inclined towards the "one big anchor" philosophy as a prime strategy, (and, less fashionably, big chain) but there's something which has to be said: if you're sailing in tiger country, you have to expect that you may lose your main anchor and chain.

So you need (in my view) to keep the skills and knowledge alive to get by with several smaller anchors as a backup, until you can make it back to civilisation and replenish your big anchor stock.

Even if your lazarette is sufficiently large and well stocked, it's not very realistic to nonchalantly wander up to the bow with another 40 or 50kg anchor when it's blowing dogs off chains, you've had to slip your main rode because of some unforeseen contingency, and your location is now exposed.

Another thing: you may need to lay out another anchor in a new direction* in expectation of a wind change, when you don't have sufficient room to leeward to lie to the one you're on .... which may be so well buried and difficult to lift you daren't risk it in the conditions, or may literally be unable to, especially if it's a biggie.

*(whether from a dingy - or even swimming! no kidding - fenders and flippers - fixes the windage problem)

So while the "Single Big Anchor" is an ideal, as in the case of most ideals, I reckon it doesn't pay to put all your eggs in that one basket.
It's fairly standard procedure for cruisers to carry a spare anchor or two. The Fortress is ideal for this purpose since it is extremely light for its holding power. I have a Fortress F-65 In my anchor locker rigged with 100 meters of rode ready to go for these purposes. I also have a Delta 25kg (which was what came with the boat) in the laz, but I am planning to give it away before I launch next month. It's just dead weight. I think two anchors is enough for most people, unless you're cruising Greenland. Most people don't lose anchors very often (I never have, knock on wood).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 03:14   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's fairly standard procedure for cruisers to carry a spare anchor or two.....
Yes, but my point was about the knowledge, rather than the gear.

I was making a pitch about the advisability of knowing the ins and outs of using smaller spare anchors, sometimes more than one at a time, if the main anchor was lost.

And to consider strategies ahead of time, eg: If the spare is a Fortress, it's pretty desirable to back it up with another anchor (or shorelines) unless you can be certain the wind will only come from one quarter.

I'm not sure if it's relevant not to have lost an anchor ... I've never had a mountain hut burn down, but I sure keep my boots by my bunk ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Boss, Bugel, fortress, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, rocna