Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 06:08   #1156

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Convex/Concave = Convave

This is a new Convex/Concave anchor that I designed called Convave.
It is designed just for the few here that really like convex anchors, but still do not want to drag.
It has a self righting ASTM A514 = Bisplate 80 shank, as I know the convex guys do not like the roll bars. This one will be a deep diver.

The fluke is very strong, because of the unique W bend profile not seen in any other anchor designs.
The unique W bend profile fluke gives this anchor the largest surface area of any given size anchor.

This new Convave design is a hybrid Convex/Concave design that has a patent # US-willnotdrag , but I will gladly let you use my patent to keep your team safe in a 2am blow. You will sleep well with the Convave.

Congo, please feel free to make these for your friends Jonjo, Delfin and a few of the others on your convex anchor team. This Convave design will put money in your pocket for the next 20 years.

Jonjo, you like light anchors. Now worries for you with the Convave design. With the super strong and larger surface area of the W bend profile fluke you can just have Congo make this for you in Aluminum 6063-T6. Now you will have your non-rollbar deep diving light weight anchor. This anchor will be so good that you may need a few of them as they will dive so deep and hold so well that you may have to cut a few loose to go home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar Convave1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	71116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar Convave2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	71117  

Name:	Cotemar Convave3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	71118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar Convave4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	71119  

Name:	Cotemar Convave5.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	71120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar Convave6.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	71122  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 07:33   #1157

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Convex/Concave = Convave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
It is designed just for the few here that really like convex anchors, but still do not want to drag.
It has a self righting ASTM A514 = Bisplate 80 shank, as I know the convex guys do not like the roll bars. This one will be a deep diver.

The fluke is very strong, because of the unique four bend profile not seen in any other anchor designs.
The unique four bend profile fluke gives this anchor the largest surface area of any given size anchor.

This new Convave design is a hybrid Convex/Concave design that has a patent # US-willnotdrag , but I will gladly let you use my patent to keep your team safe in a 2am blow. You will sleep well with the Convave.

Congo, please feel free to make these for your friends Jonjo, Delfin and a few of the others on your convex anchor team. This Convave design will put money in your pocket for the next 20 years.

Jonjo, you like light anchors. Now worries for you with the Convave design. With the super strong and larger surface area of the four bend profile fluke you can just have Congo make this for you in Aluminum 6063-T6. Now you will have your non-rollbar deep diving light weight anchor. This anchor will be so good that you may need a few of them as they will dive so deep and hold so well that you may have to cut a few loose to go home.
Other than quite a few Problem Bends it might work.

But does Tern know you ripped off their design?
Old 27-11-2013, 07:42   #1158

Community Sponsor

Re: Anchors, Bigger is Better?

The Tern anchor is not even close to the Convave anchor design, but the Tern anchor does match Congo's convex designs along with Delta and Kobra perfectly.
Old 27-11-2013, 11:08   #1159

Quote:

The fluke is very strong, because of the unique four bend profile not seen in any other anchor designs.
The unique four bend profile fluke gives this anchor the largest surface area of any given size anchor.

Jonjo, you like light anchors. Now worries for you with the Convave design. With the super strong and larger surface area of the four bend profile fluke you can just have Congo make this for you in Aluminum 6063-T6. Now you will have your non-rollbar deep diving light weight anchor. This anchor will be so good that you may need a few of them as they will dive so deep and hold so well that you may have to cut a few loose to go home.
Excellent design. I especially like how you spent the extra effort required to laser cut the logo. Some people might think the time, energy, and effort required to produce this is a waste that could be better spent making a better anchor or one that is cheaper to produce.

Not me, I am all about branding. Anything anybody can do to distinguish their product from all the others is all the better IMO. If it means incorporating your name into it so people people can tell the difference, so be it.

You might think the crabs could care less about a logo but that doesn't do you any good when you are hanging out at the dock showing off to your friends.

That said, your design could use a bottle opener for when you are hanging out at the dock. You know I heard they don't even give them to you when you buy an anchor, they make you pay. Is that true?

The Open Source Anchor has one built in. How's that for value added product!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:18   #1160

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I also like that Convave design.

Nice touch with those little drain holes in the fluke. Be sure and include a couple of bungs that can plug up those holes so that a when stowed on the bow roller the anchor can be filled with water and used as a bird bath.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:33   #1161

It's actually not that bad. Folds reduce unsupported panel and mean you can use thinner material and still have the required stiffness, which means a bigger fluke. The Mantus does this and as such, like this design, avoids having a single peak pressure zone in-line with the shank as you see with any of the V-shaped concave anchors.

Someone, maybe Jonjo or Shas Cho, mentioned engineering earlier. Peter Bruce figured all this stuff out forty years ago. Some pay better attention than others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BruceDualPeak.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	71133  
Old 27-11-2013, 11:43   #1162

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Wow - I really like that Convave!

Since I need a new anchor and, quite frankly, have developed a splitting headache by reading these threads pro/con different new gen anchors, I'm opting for the Convave , as it splits the differences.

Please:
Would 250 Kilogram be the correct size for my 48 ft monohull?
What is the cost (in USD) for a 250 Kilogram Convave?
Would shipping to American Samoa be included in the price?
Are the "bird bath" plugs included, or are they optional?
Are they available in camouflage grey tones?
(So nobody can see it to steal it when I'm docked.)

Awaiting answers....

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:57   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Wow - I really like that Convave!

Since I need a new anchor and, quite frankly, have developed a splitting headache by reading these threads pro/con different new gen anchors, I'm opting for the Convave , as it splits the differences.

Please:
Would 250 Kilogram be the correct size for my 48 ft monohull?
What is the cost (in USD) for a 250 Kilogram Convave?
Would shipping to American Samoa be included in the price?
Are the "bird bath" plugs included, or are they optional?
Are they available in camouflage grey tones?
(So nobody can see it to steal it when I'm docked.)

Awaiting answers....

James
Perhaps you would consider the Open Source Anchor for your needs?

Not quite as fancy as the Convave but the design is free and it can be built anywhere in the world using simple tools and commonly available materials, which means you should not have a problem finding someone to make you one in American Samoa.

It comes with a bottle opener built into the shank which is handy and will feature multiple fluke styles for varied bottom conditions so you can enjoy the best of all worlds.

Having one made means you will make new friends and put money into the local economy wherever you are, not to mention you will save a bunch of cash which will mean you can stay out there cruising longer.

Just a thought....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-113732.html
Old 27-11-2013, 11:59   #1164

Community Sponsor

You guy's are the best. LOL

Will have to add the Bottle opener and Bird bath plugs before I can give you a price for the 250 Kilogram anchor shipped to American Samoa.

No camouflage grey, as you will want all your dock buddies hanging out at your bow popping their beers open. DOCK PARTYYYY.
Old 27-11-2013, 12:24   #1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
noelex 77 Wrote:

Witnessing a test that anchor manufacturer is conducting does not sound independent to me.

Obviously the anchor manufacturer has control over at least some of the parameters. The size of tug, speed of pull etc.

If the manufactures have control of these parameters why would they not select these test protocols to for their advantage?.

It seems a tad naive to think they would do otherwise, this of course applies to all manufacturers and diminishes the already low regard I have for the relevance of the current certification process (for our sized anchors).

At the end of day they still have to meet the (low) requirement for holding power, but it sounds like they are given considerable leeway.
I hope they are not permitted some choice with parameters such as to where the test takes place, and therefore can pick an appropriate substate where their anchor tests well.

Perhaps Rex would like to elaborate on how the testing locations are chosen?

Rex Wrote:

Well noelex 77 my friend there are not to many places where one can test any more here in Vitoria, no less than 3 permits have to be issued, the bay that we tested in is not large but has a wide variety of bottom types, sand ,mud clay weed excetra, for the sand and shell test we had to locate to another bay, and yes long waits for the beurocrats to again issue permits.

T.A.T.S. STANDS FOR TIDAL ANCHOR TEST SKID, it operates on an incoming tide and follows out the outgoing tide, location is selected at low water, soil types are recorded and can change through the distance between high and low water, after soil testing is complete each area is marked of with stakes and tape to identify pervious soils types recorded, try doing this with a tug.

When Robertson turns up it is easy for them to confirm what we have recorded, and then starts the process, as you could imagine this is all very hard work and expensive.

One other thing should be notice all testing is strickly supervised by a officer of Robertson, these officers are rotated, over the testing time, I think it was three months we had three different individuals supervising.

noelex 77 I don’t see why you are interested, certification you made clear doesn’t cut it with you, so who cares?

Any way it looks like you have competition of your own, you will be finding it tough to get your posts in?

Regards Rex.
Old 27-11-2013, 13:41   #1166

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
The Tern anchor is not even close to the Convave anchor design, but the Tern anchor does match Congo's convex designs along with Delta and Kobra perfectly.
Hmmm, I'm looking at a Tern right now, and it looks an awful lot like your effort, problem bends and all. But whatever you say....
Old 27-11-2013, 13:49   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
Not true Shas, it wasn’t me putting up the videos.
Of course you put up the videos, Rex.
Delfin merely provided a LINK to them.
You posted them to demonstrate things about your anchors
and I responded by asking a few questions about what I saw.
I was excited to have the opportunity
to speak with an anchor manufacturer
and thought I might learn something.
Instead, I was mocked, insulted, resisted
and basically told to piss off.

Quote:
If I have offended,_disappointed you I sincerely apologize.
Of course you offended me.
I accept your apology
but I am astounded and confused by it.
You worked damned hard at offending me.
Not only were you rude TO me,
you made public and derogatory posts ABOUT me,
which is a thing I would never do to you.

Quote:
I will learn from this and change the commentary.
You astound me yet again.
This doesn't sound like the same person
who responded to sincere questions
with defensive hostility.
Maybe you really CAN learn something.
Good on ya.

Quote:
Further I will check my manners and see if I can improve.
I'll make three suggestions, if I may.
1- don't make claims that cannot be supported.
2- don't assume that anyone who asks a question,
nor even anyone who challenges your assertions,
is being hostile.
My background is in science
and I expect EVERY statement to be challenged.
When I have the answer, I provide it.
When I do not, I appreciate the heads-up.
and
3- don't talk ABOUT people.
It's incredibly rude.
Yell at me all you like,
but don't turn to the room in general and say,
"Look at what an ass Shas is."
They can see I'm an ass without your telling them,
but when you become the accuser
their sympathy for you evaporates.

I offer these suggestions, believe it or not, in genuine good will.
And as I said in my very first comment to you,
I'm impressed by the apparent holding power of your anchors.

BTW, I thought I would be back afloat almost immediately.
I learned today that the deal fell through
so I'm a dusty-footed land lubber.
Looks like I won't be buying ANY new anchors.

Take care, Rex.

- Shas
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 13:55   #1168

Quote:
you can just have Congo make this for you in Aluminum 6063-T6.
Shouldn't that be Titanium,
for strength and to keep the cost up?
I won't believe in it unless it's expensive.
Also, could you please incorporate a water-activated strobe light
on the Cotemar C&C Deep Diver?
When I can no longer see the strobe
I will know the anchor is truly buried!

Good job!
Old 27-11-2013, 13:57   #1169

And *ahem!* ...
This IS certificated, right?
Old 27-11-2013, 14:17   #1170

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas Cho View Post
And *ahem!* ...
This IS certificated, right?
OH, ah, ha, sure it's totally certified.

Tags
anchor, Boss, Bugel, fortress, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, rocna