Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 10:04   #61

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Re: anchors, ground tackle, windlasses, oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
... the only people that regularly put out two anchors are the ones staying for months and act like a mooring. You'll see this done rarely now that the cruising world has moved past the CQR ...
Wait, there's life beyond Simpson Lawrence (smile)?
Old 11-08-2015, 16:42   #62

Boat: csy 37

Where were you when I was looking for a "new gen" anchor four years ago, Spade was my first choice. But I couldn't find any dealer who carried them. And this is in Florida where you would think there would be at least one dealer in every port.

So I went with the Manson Supreme, mostly because there had been some manufacturing problems with the Rocna that made me stay away from them. I have to say I am Supreme-ly happy with it, although I think both Spade and Rocna would also be good choices.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:19   #63

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
(clip)

I know I can't crank our anchor onto the roller, though. I'm not strong enough (maybe) but in any case it just won't make the 90° bend... so I have to do the last 3' by hand anyway.

-Chris
Because of just that binding point, exacerbated the heavier it is, and by the current design (compared to the CQR's nice relatively wide shank) of shanks which will eventually cut rollers if not bronze, we added a cantilever to our system.

The chain comes up relatively straight, as on yours, but after the top of the shank passes the first roller, the lever arm of the second roller comes into play, and it slides right up. A great deal less stress on the rig.

Here's the pix - galleries 5, 6 &7 are the ones pertinent to the end results we wanted, but you can wander the earlier ones for ideas, too:

Pictures: Flying Pig Refit 2011-2012/Anchor System Refit

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56   #64

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
The chain comes up relatively straight, as on yours, but after the top of the shank passes the first roller, the lever arm of the second roller comes into play, and it slides right up. A great deal less stress on the rig.

Here's the pix - galleries 5, 6 &7 are the ones pertinent to the end results we wanted, but you can wander the earlier ones for ideas, too:

Thanks, Skip, very useful for ideas. A slanted two-roller roller (so to speak) could not only save me from having to lift the pull the shank back onboard, but it could also save me having to lift and push the anchor forward when we're deploying too... so it'd become slightly more self-launching. Still have to go forward to tend the chain-stopper first, of course, but still sounds like an opportunity for improvement.

-Chris
Old 12-08-2015, 06:20   #65

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

The trick is to use the existing roller pin as the fulcrum; the longer you can make the arm, the less effort there is to tip it, and the further out the first roller is, the more leverage the anchor will place on the fulcrum.

Otherwise it's very straightforward, about like the demo stands outside an auto dealer where the driver goes on the ramp, which is part of the platform, and when his weight is over/past center, it levels, and they block the rear.

But because the anchor has all the significant weight up front, having a lesser lever out there will be helpful - but has to be longer than the other end, in order to not have it tip up from the force of the chain pull...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass