Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2008, 02:31   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
...the rest of us prefer 2 legged ladies without woolly coats
The ones with the mink coats are alright tho, especially if they are wealthy enuff to have bought them themselves.

Whoops this is an anchoring forum, so better ask something Mmmmm , ah yes, can anyone tell me if a mink coated woman would likely buy me some Manson Supremes?
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 17:42   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Hey crap... I just noticed your a bloody Aussie. I better not mention the rugby then, ya cheeky bugger
I'm noticed - how sweet and yes, let's forget the rugby .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
....Whoops this is an anchoring forum, so better ask something Mmmmm , ah yes, can anyone tell me if a mink coated woman would likely buy me some Manson Supremes?
Hmm... If she is mink coated, I would be asking for one of shinny stainless ultra thingys....it's the wooly coated ones that use the supremes - isn't it?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 21:59   #18

I couldn't imagine feeling safe without a ton of chain and a monster anchor. If you want to move the weight of the chain aft you can use a chain pipe; they're really not that complicated.

I had a boat break free on a mooring once because of poor ground tackle; never again.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 10:22   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I bought Imagine she had a 35lb knock off CQR. We drug a couple of times, and I bought a 55lb Delta before we left St. Maarten. We stopped dragging, but later I could see the chain was worn in spots.

Since I have a Maxwell windlass I called to see if I could get a larger gypsy. I wanted to go from 5/16 to 3/8 chain. After a very detailed conversation with Maxwell they convinced me that the 5/16 was large enough for my size boat. We have no problems with dragging. Our problem is sometimes getting the anchor up. We have to sit on top of it, and let the boat's motion wiggle it loose.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 12:32   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Our problem is sometimes getting the anchor up. We have to sit on top of it, and let the boat's motion wiggle it loose.
A windlass is not designed to pull the anchor free. It is only designed to lift the rode and anchor into the boat. Attempting to any more on the windlass is not healthy for the windlass and causes a serious increase in amperage that should blow the breaker before the windlass starts on fire or the battery cables leading to the windlass glow red hot and start the boat on fire. A heat activated breaker with a reset helps prevent problems while snagging the rode.

When set well in hard mud (like we have all round here) I find I need to pull up all I can and then go forward to use the boat to pull the anchor free by running over the anchor.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 13:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
A windlass is not designed to pull the anchor free. It is only designed to lift the rode and anchor into the boat. Attempting to any more on the windlass is not healthy for the windlass and causes a serious increase in amperage that should blow the breaker before the windlass starts on fire or the battery cables leading to the windlass glow red hot and start the boat on fire. A heat activated breaker with a reset helps prevent problems while snagging the rode.

When set well in hard mud (like we have all round here) I find I need to pull up all I can and then go forward to use the boat to pull the anchor free by running over the anchor.
And to add to that wonderful advice - You also run the risk of sending any big nasty down thru the main shaft and into the gearbox. This can result in a big cheque having to be written for a new not bent shaft or gearbox repair. Snubbers can prevent the same thing when at anchor and snatching on your system.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor