Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 11:07   #16

Boat: Catana 50
Re: Any experience using samller HT (G7) chain on heavy anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Interesting. I have almost EXACTLY the same set up and problem with my new chain and windlass. Palarran has a 55 kilo Rocna and 120 meters of 10mm G7 (or G90 if you believe the stamping). I also have a new Lofrans X3 windlass with the correct gypsy. Personally I think the chain is slightly deformed even though it was proof tested by the factory. Occasionally it will jump a turn on the windlass when lowering. The chain was made in Turkey and galvanized there also. I'm not sure what to make of it. The chain looks like it is a D instead of an 0

We did anchor in 30 meters this summer with a constant wind blowing at 35 knots and gust to 45. Didn't move a meter with about 110 meters of chain out. Also, the jumping doesn't happen often so I don't know what the trigger is.
Awesome to anchoring in 30 meters!! We only have 100 meters of chain and the max we've anchored in (so far) is 22 meters, but we only had room for 70meters of chain - it held us through a night of 35knots constant - thank you Mantus!!!!

Yours is jumping on a vertical windlass - interesting, So seems it doesn't matter which windlass! How often does it jump on you now that you've gotten experienced with it? Has it caused any problems/damages?

How old is your chain in the pic? Another problem I have is the galvanizing has worn off in 7 months of use! Pic attached) We have Maggi Aqua 7 (not cheap!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161022_124312-1024x576.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	134199  
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I suppose youall know, that there are 2 types of "10mm" chains out there:
ISO with internal link-length of 30mm & DIN with 28mm...
VERY few gypsies will accept both... (Quick claims theirs & afais this is true) but most other windlass-manufacturewrs have different 10mm gypsies...

Wish it was that easy! Yes I did, and tried our chain on the one that we don't have - the dealer humoured me - just to be sure. He was right, not even close. Here's another pic of how our chain sits in the gypsy. Lofrans says it's the right one -but I wonder if maybe either their windlass is not made right, or the chain is not right. Seems to me it just doesn't fit the way it should!

I would be interested to know how any of yours sits....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161025_121543-1024x1820.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	134203  
Old 28-10-2016, 11:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
the second very critical point with any windlass installation is the "angle-of-chain-wrap" on the gypsy: with many below-deck installations of horizontal (shaft) windlasses the chain meets the gypsy at an angle from above horizontal resulting in less than 90° of the gypsy's circumference actually in contact with the chain & therefore vertical (shaft) windlasses are very much to be favoured over horizontal ones.
...& of course then there is the depth of the chainlocker & how much it is reduced by the buildup of the chain...
in the case of horiz. windlasses with chains coming from above horizontal we had some improvements with a stout chainroller mounted low enough in front of the windlasses to result in chainangles >90° on the gypsy (of course at the cost of a massive increase of resistance when hauling because of the additional deflection of the chain)
(hopefully my english adequately explains...)
Good points - all of which I think we addressed. We expanded the size of our anchor locker so the chain had more room to drop. We added 2 rollers, one under the windlass in the chain locker and one just after the windlass as it heads toward the roller - and we added a support along the length between the windlass and the bow roller to prevent any bouncing that might occur because of the longer than normal run (being a cat). These thins certainly reduced the frequency of jumping, but not eliminated it.

We have done about $2000 worth of modifications to try to calm the jumping - all at the advice of the dealer, who I felt was quite knowledgeable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161025_121116-1024x1820.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	134207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161025_121152-1024x1820.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	134208  

Name:	20161025_121051-1024x1820.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	134209  
Old 28-10-2016, 11:26   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
Yours is jumping on a vertical windlass - interesting, So seems it doesn't matter which windlass! How often does it jump on you now that you've gotten experienced with it? Has it caused any problems/damages?

How old is your chain in the pic? Another problem I have is the galvanizing has worn off in 7 months of use! Pic attached) We have Maggi Aqua 7 (not cheap!).
No, I have a horizontal windlass too. No damage and it doesn't happen every time. I'd say one out of five.

I was going to buy the Aqua 7 chain but couldn't get it imported to Turkey. After seeing your photo of the galv wearing off, I'm glad I didn't. No offense but that looks like crap. At least it's a uniform shape though.
Old 28-10-2016, 11:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Sounds like a classic chain/gypsy mismatch.

Surely the dealer would know that wouldn't they? From our experience, Nope, it is very possible the dealer has no idea at all.

What are the markings on the gypsy, your chain size and the internal length of the links?

A 57kg anchor on a 50fter???? That's transcending a anchoring system and moved into a mooring system. That is a very very large anchor.

What do I do all day? Sort out these exact problems.
I have a question for you - do you notice, or feel that your chain twists more than it should? Ours seems to be constantly twisted. We have rolled it completely out 3 times this year, and watch very diligently not to let the chain twist on the roller when hoisting it after a calm night - and we have a swivel - yet the chain always seems to have a twist in it!
Old 28-10-2016, 11:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
No, I have a horizontal windlass too. No damage and it doesn't happen every time. I'd say one out of five.

I was going to buy the Aqua 7 chain but couldn't get it imported to Turkey. After seeing your photo of the galv wearing off, I'm glad I didn't. No offense but that looks like crap. At least it's a uniform shape though.
Don't I know it! I'm waiting to hear if Maggi are going to do anything about it. They were responsive initially, but lately they have gone quiet!

Where are you in Turkey? We are leaving Symi tomorrow for Finike!
Old 28-10-2016, 14:41   #22

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
Don't I know it! I'm waiting to hear if Maggi are going to do anything about it. They were responsive initially, but lately they have gone quiet!

Where are you in Turkey? We are leaving Symi tomorrow for Finike!
We have the same issue with one-year old Maggi Aqua7 chain rusting. Our old Aqua4 chain lasted 10 years, was superb. That is the reason we went with the Aqua7. Since April 2016, I have been corresponding with the US distributor and recently Maggi themselves. We have been promised a replacement chain, but as of yet it has not come nor any clear answer on when or where. There were numerous promises of replacement chain, so watch this space for updates. So far it seems like a mass of miscommunication and if they come through, we will let everyone know that they stand behind their products. If we don't ultimately receive the chain, we likewise will let the world know about it.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 02:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
We have the same issue with one-year old Maggi Aqua7 chain rusting. Our old Aqua4 chain lasted 10 years, was superb. That is the reason we went with the Aqua7. Since April 2016, I have been corresponding with the US distributor and recently Maggi themselves. We have been promised a replacement chain, but as of yet it has not come nor any clear answer on when or where. There were numerous promises of replacement chain, so watch this space for updates. So far it seems like a mass of miscommunication and if they come through, we will let everyone know that they stand behind their products. If we don't ultimately receive the chain, we likewise will let the world know about it.

Very interesting!! I wonder how many people are out there with the same problem!? I may post a new thread titled "Problems with Maggi Aqua 7 chain"! Did you have any trouble with chain jumping off your windlass when lowering?

Tags
anchor, enc