Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 17:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Any problem with a long soft shackle to attach snubber/bridle

I am thinking of making a long soft shackle to use it with a prusik hitch to secure my bridle or snubber to my anchor chain. Is there any problem with this approach as opposed to a dynema loop for the prusik and a separate soft shakle?

Thanks,
Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 17:46   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Any problem with a long soft shackle to attach snubber/bridle

What is wrong with a Dynema loop?

They are cheap to buy from the climbing stores and incredibly resilient to chafe - I used one for around 150 nights of anchoring before putting a new one on - Not bad for under Au$30 delivered.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 18:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A soft shackle threaded directly through one of the chain links is easier, quicker and more secure.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 18:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Regarding using a dyneema loop, I am trying to minimize the number of parts to juggle so thinking a long soft shackle attached as a prusik kills two birds.

Regarding a soft shackle through the link, I was concerned that a diameter small enough to fit through a 5/16" G4 link would saw through the nylon snubber. I realize it will still be stronger than the chain. I could include a stainless thimble in in the eye splice but I am thinking that will be chunky and awkward going over the anchor roller. I suppose i could attach it after the roller but I am interested in being able to make all my connections aft of the anchor roller.

Today I use a nylon snubber with an icicle hitch which is works great. It isn't the easiest of hitches to get right and I am trying to simplify things for other family members to be able to use the boat. My wife and I take turns at the bow and she is great with the icicle hitch but 1 in 20 times it isn't right. So far the mistakes haven't been a security problem but being difficult to release even without a strong wind pulling at it.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 19:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Regarding a soft shackle through the link, I was concerned that a diameter small enough to fit through a 5/16" G4 link would saw through the nylon snubber. I realize it will still be stronger than the chain. I could include a stainless thimble in in the eye splice but I am thinking that will be chunky and awkward going over the anchor roller.
There is no need for the thimble.

A simple eye splice in the nylon with a soft shackle attached directly has a reasonable life without a thimble. Dyneema is reasonably slippery, which reduces the chafe on the nylon.

This is what we use. The soft shackle shown in the photo is on our snubber. In our case the attachment is between a Dyneema strop which goes over the bow roller and the nylon part of snubber, but the chafe should be similar.

As we anchor almost 365 days a year, sometimes in boisterous conditions, we usually replace the nylon part of the snubber about every 18 months.

Fatigue and UV damage in the nylon part of the snubber is the concern well before chafe on the nylon to soft shackle attachment becomes an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B9C9C88-DD5E-4209-9E0F-40D73A54D154.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	254836  
Old 24-03-2022, 03:23   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

We do something similar to what noelex shows except without the extra strap. Soft shackle through a chain link to an eye in the snubber. The nylon wears/degrades at the boat end faster than this end. About 1-2 years full time on the snubber before we replace everything.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 03:41   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A soft shackle threaded directly through one of the chain links is easier, quicker and more secure.

Depends on the size of the chain. We now have 10mm G80 chain and the soft shackle connecting two bridle eyes to the chain, made for similar working load (3.5K kg), will not fit through the links. So we use a commercial Dyneema climbing sling in basket configuration through the chain link and attach the soft shackle through the doubled loop.

With our previous 12/13mm chain the soft shackle fit through the chain link but we also used a climbing sling with that chain. It’s cheaper to replace the climbing sling as it gets worn much faster than the soft shackle, which is much more effort to make.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 04:42   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Depends on the size of the chain. We now have 10mm G80 chain and the soft shackle connecting two bridle eyes to the chain, made for similar working load (3.5K kg), will not fit through the links. So we use a commercial Dyneema climbing sling in basket configuration through the chain link and attach the soft shackle through the doubled loop.

With our previous 12/13mm chain the soft shackle fit through the chain link but we also used a climbing sling with that chain. It’s cheaper to replace the climbing sling as it gets worn much faster than the soft shackle, which is much more effort to make.
The strength of the soft shackle connecting the chain to the snubber has to only exceed the strength of the nylon snubber by a reasonable margin to be acceptable. This can usually be easily achieved with good quality soft shackles passing through the links even with high tensile chain.

Our previous yacht used G70 chain. The soft shackle passing through chain never failed, despite some strong conditions. This indicates that in practice the soft shackle is not the weak link even with high tensile chain. We did snap several nylon snubbers in storm force conditions. Wet nylon is not very strong especially when subjected to some fatigue cycles.

If you are really worried you can use a longer soft shackle and pass it twice though the chain link, but I have never used this and it is not generally needed.

Modern well constructed soft shackles are incredibly strong. They are a very simple and reliable connection between the snubber and the chain that will not work loose or fall off. Soft shackles pass easily through the bow roller without binding. If the worse happens and the connection jams it can be cut.

There is perhaps no perfect chain to snubber connection for all applications, but give a soft shackle connection a try, it is the best option I have used.
Old 24-03-2022, 05:07   #9

Boat: Hunter 340

This is what I use on my 34 ft. Hunter and it works really well!
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-bridle/
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 17:59   #10

Boat: PDQ 44i

I think you have a great idea, to use a long soft shackle. Quite brilliant, actually.
Just be sure that things are oriented such that the two limbs of the shackle share the load equally.

N.B. if I were to choose between using a Prusik hitch (whether it be a separate loop or a long soft shackle is immaterial) vs. threading the shackle through a chain link, I would choose the Prusik every time. That is personal preference. It lets me use very large diameter Dyneema (R), easy to bend onto and remove from the chain. The Prusik will never slip, so that is not an argument for threading through the chain, in my opinion.
Make all the connections between your chain and bridle abaft the anchor roller and then let the whole thing out until there is a little chain catenary, and Bob's your uncle.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 18:01   #11
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
This is what I use on my 34 ft. Hunter and it works really well!
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-bridle/

Having had a few issues with chain hooks I am not the biggest fan, although I have never tried the Mantus Hook and the Mantus gear is not particularly cheap either.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Quick aside - Benz posted a thread recently showing one method to make a Dyneema-covered multi-loop. It is a nice technique and big credit to him for sharing it; However your wife is rather better at making up clear and easy-to-follow dyneema instructions. Benz I think knows the technique too well to know what a 'new user' needs to know and see. In any case, if she has spare time and interest, I think there would be some value in her taking a shot at some instructions and generally messing around with the technique see if she has any suggestions/improvements. I do a couple of the steps differently myself - makes mine a touch slower to make but perhaps a touch cleaner.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle