Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2014, 06:31   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Are Lewmar parts for Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1500 windlass equivalent??

HELP- I am in the back blocks of West Papua Indonesia (Biak Island to be exact) and my Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1500 windlass motor has rolled over & died. I had the wiring rewound in Sulawesi but this lasted only 5 hoists of the anchor. I took it to another "dynamo" guy in Halmahera but he say the motor is stuffed. I know that Lewmar bought out S&L.

Defender have a replacement 12 V motor for Lewmar Sprint 1500 (item 001836) which looks the same as mine. Does anyone know for sure that it is the same motor? They are both 100 amp motors.

My OTHER problem is trying to find out if an expedited Fedex delivery will find its way to Jayapura the capital of the province in the foreseeable future. Do I just address it to Poste Restante at the main post office there? I know I will have to pay customs at this end. JP is 300 nm east of here so I should be there in 10 - 12 days.

I have tried to source the motor in Australia but without success.
Any assistance would be appreciated as I am sick of dragging up 60 - 80 metres of 10 mm chain using a block and the halyard winch.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:35   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Are Lewmar parts for Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1500 windlass equivalent??

I can't help you with the Sprint motor, but can relate that we have an old SL Horizon windlass and the Lewmar Horizon replacement motor fits it perfectly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 06:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

12V Part Number: 60615100
24V Part Number: 60615101
Parts for Windlass & Capstan Electric Motors | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares

SL Spares Ltd can supply and service many products from Simpson Lawrence
Homepage | Simpson Lawrence Yacht Parts & Spares

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 05:06   #4

UPDATE
I purchased the Lewmar 12v motor off Defender for $258 + 160 to freight express Fedex International to Jayapura. It only took 3 days to arrive in Jakarta from US then 2 days later it arrived in JP at the post office but then they sent it back to Jakarta cause there was customs due. BUT no one at Fedex agent in Jakarta bothered to ring or email me. I only found out by checking the tracking number when I arrived here in JP on Monday. I have paid the customs $144 (ouch) but now the bloddy thing stays in Jakarta while the freight agent farts around giving me excuses why they haven't sent it on.

Said wrong post code but it is not. Said did not get my emailed receipt of money transfer of customs but then siad they had then said they hadn't. You speak to a different person every time I call "customer relations". Told yesterday afternoon that would be sent last night and arrive here at 1000 hrs today.

Not at post office, so ring again. Again say have not received payment then say MAYBE arrive next Monday WTF

Demand to speak to a manager - no go. He is too busy.

Last call, was told that it has been sent to Sulawesi and is on its way.

Yeah - likely story. I have given up for the night and went to find a calming ale.

GUESS WHAT - Jayapura is a dry city cause the Indos don't want the Papuans getting tanked and causing trouble re independance. I have never seen so many police, military and razor wire in all the third world and I have worked in West Africa.

Sorry for the rant. Message = Need a patience transplant and a cold beer.
Also need an anchor winch that works.
Old 26-02-2014, 13:41   #5

Update to update

NOW the Fedex tracking site says that package arrived in Sulawesi BUT cannot be delivered because recipient is not in a Fedex service area WTF

How is this possible when the package was listed as being here in Jayapura last Monsay before they returned it to Jakarta because customs duties had not been paid!!!

I have been onto Defender and they say that when it is eventually returned I will be up for that freight charge as well!!

Why did Fedex accept the delivery if they could not deliver to this address?

Moderator : I guess this thread has now gone away from the Forum's focus. Feel free to move it.

Tags
enc, lewmar, parts, simpson lawrence, wind, windlass