Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 13:24   #16

Re: Auger as an anchor . . . a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I'm still very confused about using an auger? The time to screw it in you could have the anchor out and a drink in hand. Then to pull it up?? I have a helex screw for a mooring, don;t want to think about pulling it out. To us even in 10 ft of water I would want to dive and screw it it, generally a 2 person job.
It's not a replacement for an anchor on a daily basis, that's not at all the use I was referring to. The way in which I used it was as a temporary mooring. The reality of cruising for most people is that they often spend long periods (weeks to months) in one spot. Being much more secure than an anchor, it's great piece of mind if you're going to spend a while in one spot, or you know a large storm is coming your way and the boat is going to have to ride it out.

It's not for places with zero visibility unless you've got scuba gear. It's not for people who don't like to get in the water. It's not for people who aren't physically fit. I mostly used mine between Florida and Puerto Rico. I like to freedive, so I didn't need to use scuba. It would usually take me 5-6 dives down, with 15-20 seconds of turning the screw with a pipe each time to get it all the way in. Coming out was just as easy.

It's not the kind of thing that will be useful to everybody. But if you're cruising in water where you can usually see the bottom when you're anchored, and you're the type of person who always dives the anchor and dives regularly for food, it can be a useful tool to keep in the cockpit locker since it's just a 1" shaft about 4 feet long and takes up very little space onboard.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:29   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional

Any problems with it getting buried?
Old 01-03-2013, 14:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Any problems with it getting buried?
No, because my chain was always shackled to it, and the longest I ever sat without pulling it back out was about 2 weeks.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15   #19

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Did you ever find that the repeated tugging on them by the boat started them unscrewing?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor