Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 17:20   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Back-up/Second Anchor

Been a while since there has been a good anchor "discussion" so:

I have a 60 lb Manson Supreme as I my primary anchor. This has never let me down the past 6 years and is at least 1 size larger than needed for my boat.

I need to get a back-up secondary anchor that also probably needs to fill as a major storm anchor. So the question is what type of anchor should I get?

I'm thinking a Danforth/Fortness type of anchor. What do others think?
Old 27-06-2016, 17:36   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Back-up/Second Anchor

A good deal these days is an old CQR. If you replace the lugs on the shank with a big bolt you have a 2 piece that you can store elsewhere.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 17:39   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I have a 60 lb Manson Supreme as I my primary anchor. This has never let me down the past 6 years and is at least 1 size larger than needed for my boat.

I need to get a back-up secondary anchor that also probably needs to fill as a major storm anchor. So the question is what type of anchor should I get?

Fortress or guardian (yes I know they are the same thing) works for me. Easy to stow, effective and inexpensive with terrific after sales support.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 17:48   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
A good deal these days is an old CQR. If you replace the lugs on the shank with a big bolt you have a 2 piece that you can store elsewhere.
Not a chance!!!!!!!!! My wife has a permanent manged thumb from the only time we have had a serious dragging problem, which involved a CQR! You couldn't give me one of those, I don't care how state of the art they may have been 30+ years ago.
Old 27-06-2016, 17:49   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If you have the space,. a over size old style Bruce, CQR, delta. If you don't mind spending the big buck on something you hope and may never use. I would like a big take apart like a Fx55.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 18:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I got an over-sized Fortress FX-37 for my backup. In a mud or sand bottom, straight line pull the Fortress was the top holder in all the tests I recall. I don't trust the Fortress' ability to reset in a changing wind or current but for a backup that might not be an issue.

I keep an old CQR that I might use if anchoring in a rocky bottom. I think the CQR is arguably the strongest anchor and with the hinge I think deals better with off angle pull if the anchor is jammed under a rock and can't rotate. Plus if it really jams and you can't retrieve it you've only lost an old CQR.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 19:12   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

...What do others think?
Another Manson?

Oh .. and more chain...
Old 27-06-2016, 19:34   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

the fortress will have better straight line holding than anything else... makes a great storm anchor for that reason... our FX125 is our best insurance policy...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 19:46   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Always sets the first time....

Never dragged in 3 years of full-time cruising on our Catalina 470 that was 37,000 lbs displacement.

ROCNA 25kg with all chain rode.

The Rocna®: Rock Solid Design. | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocna.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	127060  

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 20:21   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Another vote for the fortress or guardian. Its just so light, compact that its is no bother to row out, or drag out and stow in an awkward locker. The things set in like they are set in concrete, for straight line pulls on a reasonable bottom they are pretty hard to beat.

Also the warranty on the fortress is exceptional.

If you havent already done so look at Panope's videos of anchors setting series on youtube. He has some great videos of a little fx16 setting very well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-06-2016, 20:36   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Yup, nearly 2 sizes over. You don't need more hold.

I would go Fortress, because you can actually dinghy that out. FX 23 is probably enough, with a nylon rode. For a major storm, set them both in an asymmetric V. You'lll break the chain first.

Which brings us to the matter of a snubber. A boat-length of ~ 5/8" nylon will keep the loads so low a 25# Manson will hold easily. That is the way to take the sting out. A short snubber will just break.
Old 27-06-2016, 20:45   #12

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Previous boat had a @ 30 lb plow type (for an 11,500# disp. boat) and the backup was a 20# Danforth I got from a friend. We did have one bad occasion of dragging at 3 am and my love of the plow style went when I sold the boat.

Current boat is >24,000# disp. and came with 2 - 45# CQR's on the bow. I sold them both and got a 25 kg (55#) Vulcan (because the Rocna would not fit in the bow roller). Have only used it 3 times but set quick and held all three. The boat also came with a Fortress 37 on the stern with @ 40 ft of chain and 150' of rode. Looking for a different type for the backup anchor and am thinking of going to a Luke 70# so I can break it down and store it in the bilge.

Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 21:04   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think a backup/secondary anchor is different than a storm anchor. The storm anchor is something way oversized for your boat. It's not something you'll easily deploy. Not really a replacement for the bower.

My backup anchors are a Bruce on its own rode, and a large danforth. The Bruce is deployable as a stern/kedge anchor, which has come in handy a few times . My storm anchor is a FX-37, which is a couple sizes bigger than my boat calls for. I hope to never use this in anger.
Old 28-06-2016, 08:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Unfortunately, there are conflicting requirements for the different roles. The Manson Supreme is an excellent general purpose anchor. It you want a back up if the main anchor is lost, then my vote would be for the Mantus. I think it is a better anchor than the Manson Supreme and it can be easily unbolted to make storage easier. If you want this to double as an anchor for storm conditions, then as big as you can manage is the best rule.

A Danforth/ Fortress/Guardian is a good option as kedge or secondary anchor, but in my view this type of anchor does not cope with a change in direction of pull well enough to be the ideal substitute if the primary anchor is lost.

In terms of a storm anchor, my experience is that the Danforth/ Fortress/Guardian is less versitile than some of the other modern anchors options, but it has outstanding holding in soft bottoms. If you only cruise a small area and have a storm anchorages in mind that all have soft substrates, then it can be a good choice, but mitigate the resetting problems by using multiple anchors or shore tie points. The Fortress and Guardian models also unbolt and are lightweight so an anchor with a relatively large fluke area can be stored.
Old 28-06-2016, 08:46   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Not a chance!!!!!!!!! My wife has a permanent manged thumb from the only time we have had a serious dragging problem, which involved a CQR! You couldn't give me one of those, I don't care how state of the art they may have been 30+ years ago.
The 20 lb CQR that came with my boat has saved me tons of times in exposed anchorages on lee shores. It has about 300' of rode and maybe 40' of chain.

My backup is a Bruce of similar size with slightly heavier chain and about the same amount of rode which I have rigged but never deployed.

Then I have 3 Danforth anchors.

The PO was totally prepared for his sail to Florida and the Bahamas.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor