Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 05:42   #1
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Bahamaian Mooring

Not a anchor question!! Does anyone use a bahamaian mooring in the bahamas. I'm pretty firmly set in the 1 anchor crowd and have always disliked any multi anchor set up, and think kellets are junk. Very recently after rereading the rocna page, I messed about with inline dual anchors and think its a good system for mild long term anchoring. I have 2 bow rollers so both can be chained together before deployment. My question is, many newbies, part timers, and liveaboards all seem to be terrified of tide change, I dont worry about tide at all. They have this "more is better" attitude, 2 must be better than 1. With 2 out (bahama style) I'm worried you might just pull sideways and tear them both out. I've anchored in high current places all over the east coast with no issues, are the bahamas different?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Bahamaian Mooring

Very few use a Bahamian moor in the Bahamas.
Some do, of course.
It can certainly screw up an anchorage when one person decided to do something completely different.
I think they do it to be independant, and keep people from anchoring near them.

I agree with you on your points. If you are scared of tide turn then your pick is no good.
Anchoring in some tide rips in the Bahamas can be dicey anyway if the bottom has been scoured of sand and you are anching on smooth rock. No number of anchors down will help that.

In general one should anchor the way everyone else is. And that's the normal one anchor off the bow. Tandem anching is different and fine anywhere.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Ditto MarkJ. The only time it makes any sense is in some of the narrow Exuma cuts with a strong reversing tidal flow. Most anchorages are open coves and have no reversing current. If you have ever tried to untangle two anchor rodes that you have swung around several times you will understand!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Bahamian moor not only provides a secure mooring in areas with reversing currents, but can also be used to limit a vessel’s swing radius when anchoring in tight quarters, or close into a steep shore.

The downside of the Bahamian moor includes the possibility of twisted rodes (a result of vessel swings or circles during current shifts) and the potential chafing of combination rodes (rope and chain) if the slack rode rubs against the vessel’s hull, or even snags on the keel or running gear.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I can't think of maybe more than a couple times where we used a Bahamian mooring in the Bahamas...it always seemed like a misnomer to me. It's much more practical, and we used it a lot, in the narrow Georgia & SC creeks where the tidal range is large and the current swift. We've also used it in storm situations where we expect an overnight wind shift, but never in a tight anchorage where your swing might conflict with other boats near you. If you set it correctly, you shouldn't worry about "pulling out both anchors" since the set angle won't change that much. However, this is not a good long-term anchoring scheme unless you use a swivel (big heavy strong one) or else your rodes will keep wrapping into a big mess.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:04   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

And good point, Gord May...might not work for deep keel or fix prop/rudders. We can bring them all out of the water on our boat.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:32   #7
cruiser

I pretty much anchor with storm scope all the time (8:1), I don't like tight anchorages. If wind picks up, I dont want to worry about needing to let out more scope and being right on top of someone. I'm prepared, even if I'm a little hogish. I'm also very quick to point out to other would be anchorers what my scope is. I always advise that if the wind picks up, my chain will straighten out and and i might be right on top of them. It really makes me feel like an ass, but I don't anchor near people, they anchor near me. Many seem shocked, which is weird because were in the same depth water.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Like others, I've only used the Bahamian Moor a couple of times in the Bahamas in areas (Exumas) with strong 180d current shifts. It of course comes with all the downsides of multiple anchor configs.

The OP also mentioned two anchors in-line. I have used this configuration many times, esp in Belize for the sometimes strong squalls that come with the cold fronts. Significantly increases holding power and does not foul like multiple rode configurations. Only a bit more difficult to retrieve than a single anchor.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50   #9
Long Range Cruiser

8:1 in the Bahamas is fine. 8 foot water, 6 foot water to bow = 112 feet chain. I that depth in good weather I would do about 90 foot.

Buy if you leave the Bahamas and hit the Caribbean and anchor in 30 feet your be putting out a huge amount of chain and be wondering all over the bay unmaking friends at a rapid rate.

In reality most people anchor to the circumstances and lay out more when the weather starts picking up.

When I do lay out more I go for a dinghy ride and tell people so they don't think I've dragged (or they've dragged upwind).

Anchorages are a cooperative effort and there's few who don't conform.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Bahamian moorings are not used much anymore in the Bahamas. If it is, it's someone who's read about it and thinks it's still used. We used to use it in Nassau harbour over twenty years ago, but you will not see that today. Usually you're in such shallow water that you can use a good scope and still swing. The best approach is to see how the others are anchored and follow suit. Nothing worse than a new boat coming into an anchorage and putting out two when everyone has one out.

If there's room I always put at least 100 feet of chain out. Then I can sleep at night. If you just use a short rode someone might anchor too close and if it blows up you'll have no room to increase the scope. I seldom anchor in more than ten feet of water, quite often in seven feet with a five and a half draft.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41   #11

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We use it occasionally in the Exumas with strong tidal currents that reverse.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:10   #12
cruiser

Several here have mentioned only using a bahamaian mooring in "strong 180d reversing currents". I guess my point was I and many others do anchor in "strong 180d reversing currents" with one anchor and its not an issue. So it appears that we do have some old schooler who do beleive that 2 work better. I would think it would work well if current was the only issue, it seems if the wind picked up and held you 90° to the set anchors that neither would be pulling straight, and if enough wind you asking them to work with sideways pull. I'm pretty convined that my 1 set anchor stands a better chance of staying buried in reversing current.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
some old schooler who do beleive that 2 work better.

the wind picked up and held you 90° to the set anchors that neither would be pulling straight.

Those old schoolers were using old anchors. A fisherman anchor won't like the current change, I spose. Will pull out.
Also a lot of old timers on old boats years ago used rope rodes.

Agree with you, but current will hold the boat before wind unless its blowing a gale.
Pulling up two in an emergency would be a pain too... It's all got to be easier and safer with one good system.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:29   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Several here have mentioned only using a bahamaian mooring in "strong 180d reversing currents". I guess my point was I and many others do anchor in "strong 180d reversing currents" with one anchor and its not an issue. ...
Depends a upon the anchorage too, if in a relatively narrow tidal cut, or have nearby shoals, then Bahamian Moor has much less swing room.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48   #15

Every time I've done it, I've ended up with a twisted mess. If I dont have room to anchor with one, I move. Still..... reversing currents are a worry, but I didnt experience them but a couple places in the Bahamas....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring