Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 18:40   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Balancing the boat with more chain.

Our stern has gotten low from cruising gear. It's time for new chain up front and I am thinking about going with even more chain to help even out the trim. Another 70' would be a half barrel , 270' and the good price break. It might make the boat sit closer to level but not all the way. Standing on the end of the 4' bow sprit does not do that much. I suspect it would need another 170' of chain to level out which is crazy. That would be 370'.
I don't notice any weird sailing from the boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:23   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Balancing the boat with more chain.

I needed to trim the bow down also. I got more chain, got a bigger primary anchor, added a big secondary anchor (with its own chain), stowed a third anchor under the V-berth and last but not least, moved a hundred pounds of ballast from amidships to under the V-berth.

This goes against the wisdom that says that we must keep weight out of the ends of the boat. That said, I did not really notice a difference in the way the boat handles/performs.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you put a lot of weight in the ends of the boat it will probably increase the tendency to hobby horse. I put a lot of weight in the ends of one boat and in short steep seas it was like riding a teeter totter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:26   #4

Hang a bigger anchor on the bowsprit if you can. But I would first add temp weight on the bow and check how it affects the trim, that is 1 medium size women.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:26   #5

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I wonder how adding weight at the ends of the boat would induce hobbyhorsing.

There are flywheels which are mere spokes and all the weight outboard, to induce easier maintenance of motion against pulse input.

I minored in Physics, but apparently missed the boat on levers and momentum.

Someone please 'splain me how adding weight at the ends of an arm induces motion.

BTW, despite our two oversized (one massively) anchors and all chain plus 100' and rode on the other, we're still stern heavy after adding the arch and all we hang from it, as well as the other two (wimpy) anchors and some probably thousand plus feet of line in the aft lazarette. But we don't hobby our way through the waves...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:46   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Adding weight to the ends does not induce hobby-horsing, it increases the hobby horsing - for the same reason a flywheel weight resists changes - momentum and inertia. In other words, once the heavy bow starts going down, it will continue to fall further (momentum) than a light bow before enough force is generated to lift it again. And then at the top of that force, it continues moving up further than a light hull before gravity catches up to it.

In short/small enough seas, heavy ends can work for you by having enough inertia to never start hobby-horsing compared to extremely light ends. Just the opposite in larger/longer seas.

For relatively short monos with heavy displacement, there will not be much change in hobby-horsing by moving ballast around. For longer, lighter boats, and especially catamarans, weight in the ends can make dramatic differences in hobby-horsing.

A light end boat will hobby-horse with considerably less amplitude, but at higher frequency, while a heavy end boat can hobby-horse with an amplitude great enough to take water over the bows and up the stern.

Boat hulls with a lot of rocker or overhangs (containing weight) will hobby-horse worse than flatter run hulls carried to maximum waterline. This is even more so with catamarans.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:49   #7

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Ah, right. The old conundrum of the bobbing cork vs the heavy stable boat. Huge waves probably favor the cork...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post

There are flywheels which are mere spokes and all the weight outboard, to induce easier maintenance of motion against pulse input.

Mass in motion has inertia, more mass has more inertia.

So as the bow rises to a wave the weight in the bow accelerates upwards, builds inertia, wave passes but bow continues moving upwards until gravity overcomes the inertia and the bow starts moving down again. Acceleration of gravity without the buoyancy of the water the bow drops and accelerates. Bow hits trough but the inertia of the weight pushes the bow down into the water until the buoyancy overcomes the inertia, bow starts to rise again.

Inertia is the mass times the square of the distance to the center of rotation so moving mass farther from the center of the boat increases the inertia a lot.

Add weight in the stern and it compliments this process.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:36   #9

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Our stern has gotten low from cruising gear. It's time for new chain up front and I am thinking about going with even more chain to help even out the trim. Another 70' would be a half barrel , 270' and the good price break. It might make the boat sit closer to level but not all the way. Standing on the end of the 4' bow sprit does not do that much. I suspect it would need another 170' of chain to level out which is crazy. That would be 370'.
I don't notice any weird sailing from the boat.
keep all weight possible OUT OF EITHER END OF THE BOAT. if anchoring is the issue, by all means the more chain the better but if your purpose is balancing the boat on her waterline think removing weight out of the heavy end and move it toward the center.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:58   #10

I would be evaluating how to get weight out of the stern.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:06   #11

Chain seems like expensive ballast when there are other cheaper options available, like getting rid of junk in your trunk.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:04   #12

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Chain seems like expensive ballast when there are other cheaper options available, like getting rid of junk in your trunk.
Like the dinghy engine, the wind generator the solar panels the radar the arch, the wind vane? The rest of the stuff in the trunk is fenders empty water jugs galley garbage etc. I just can't cruise without all that stuff. I guess the question might be, should you leave the stern low or drop the bow too? You can always use more chain so I would rather error on the side more chain if the only obvious draw back is hobby horsing in short seas. We don't sail those days already anyway unless we make a mistake anyway.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:46   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Our stern has gotten low from cruising gear...I am thinking about going with even more chain to help even out the trim...
Huge error in judgement. The stern is low because you've overloaded the stern--not because the bow is too light.

Load whatever chain you require. Then move your other heavy stuff out of the ends of the boat until it is trimmed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 17:21   #14

It is worthwhile learning a little about ship stability and probably the most useful fact would be that a vessels centre of gravity will move towards any weight that is added.
Having said that, I am a firm believer that you can't have too much chain. Therefore I would advise you to carry at least 300 ft and remove any unnessecary weight aft, as mentioned by others.
Good sailing, Dave
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 23:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post

I minored in Physics, but apparently missed the boat on levers and momentum.

Someone please 'splain me how adding weight at the ends of an arm induces motion.

BTW, despite our two oversized (one massively) anchors and all chain plus 100' and rode on the other, we're still stern heavy after adding the arch and all we hang from it, as well as the other two (wimpy) anchors and some probably thousand plus feet of line in the aft lazarette. But we don't hobby our way through the waves...
I believe it's momentum. The bow goes up and it keeps going up. Then when it comes down it comes down harder. It is a fact whatever the explanation.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote