Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 05:37   #16

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Be aware rusted mooring ball in 0nly 2 years

common practice to leave the boat on an anchor or a mooring herein Grenada and go north for a few months. I leave mine on my mooring, although I have 3/8 chain to the bottom, a 8 ft screw in th esea bed. I also have two ropes to the chain and an additional slack chain from the boat to the chain. So three lines, 2 rope and one chain to a 3/8 chain donwn 30 feet to a 8 ft screw. I inspect each year, and yes that might not find everything. If a storm is coming, I have a friend through out a few anchors. If a BIG storm is coming, I fly back and prep or sail away. Aloisius
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 05:50   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Just a few words about picking up moorings, especially in the Bahamas. For the most part privately owned moorings are unreliable and should not be picked up. Very few are properly maintained. We never pick up a mooring. Every season we hear of boats blown ashore after tying up to one of these moorings. Two years ago I spoke to a the skipper of a large power boat who woke up at three in the morning drifting out of the anchorage. He had picked up one of the moorings. The anchorage was difficult to get into with lots of twists and turns and he marvelled at how the boat had drifted out without running aground of hitting any of the heads. He was lucky. There are a few places where many cruisers pick up mooring because the bottom is scoured but if you look around in these spots you can usually find a patch of sand. Your best bet is to rely on your own ground tackle.
Old 15-05-2012, 06:02   #18

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Thanks, are you able to anchor in most bays? Even if it is hard to find a good spot.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 06:42   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Thanks, are you able to anchor in most bays? Even if it is hard to find a good spot.
If you're talking about the Bahamas the answer is yes. The only places I'm aware of where you can't anchor is in the main basin in Warderick Wells which is full of moorings (part of Exuma Land and Sea Park) and Hopetown in Abaco where it`s full of private moorings and there`s just no room to anchor.