Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2009, 05:14   #31

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Rocna Rocks

That picture made my day. That anchor has not been on the market very long and it just goes to reinforce the rule...'you get what you pay for'. The rusting will lead to more weakness and ultimately failure.
If someone ever sees a bent or rusting Rocna I'd like to see it.
Then I'll have to sell my boat so I can purchase a stainless Rocna

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Old 13-01-2009, 13:50   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
boom
I'm guessing you glossed over the comments posted here and read what you wanted to read. Looks like those who bought rocnas before china production are lucky. now when shopping a rocna, how will you tell if they are chinese knockoffs of themselves?
"is that a real rocna or a chinese rocna?"
Old 13-01-2009, 15:42   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
This post seems to have developed into the "Rocna" camp and the "Manson" camp. Lets not forget they are both great anchors. The forcast for tonight in my area is Beaufort force 9 (I dont think it will reach that hopefully) if I did not have a Rocna anchor I would happy with a Manson Supreme and I suspect the Manson advocates would be happy with a similar sized Rocna in the same circumstances.
Old 13-01-2009, 16:01   #34

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Pictures worth a 1000 words

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
boom
I'm guessing you glossed over the comments posted here and read what you wanted to read. Looks like those who bought rocnas before china production are lucky. now when shopping a rocna, how will you tell if they are chinese knockoffs of themselves?
"is that a real rocna or a chinese rocna?"
No, I was refering to the picture. The bent anchor and rust said a lot. True, I am glad I don't have one from China, it will amount to just another nock off. As for Rocna or Manson camp. I'll stick w Camp Rocna.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Old 13-01-2009, 19:34   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
That picture made my day. That anchor has not been on the market very long and it just goes to reinforce the rule...'you get what you pay for'. The rusting will lead to more weakness and ultimately failure.
If someone ever sees a bent or rusting Rocna I'd like to see it.
Then I'll have to sell my boat so I can purchase a stainless Rocna
You probably will see it if they are made in China
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-01-2009, 19:39   #36

I'm representing camp Spade.
Old 13-01-2009, 22:15   #37
Marine Service Provider

I'm representing the camp that says most mainstream anchors are perfectly fine for 99% of all recreational boaters if they set up well and used correctly.
Old 14-01-2009, 03:33   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I'm representing the camp that says most mainstream anchors are perfectly fine for 99% of all recreational boaters if they set up well and used correctly.
I think you are correct, but only because 99% of recreational boaters use their anchor to secure the vessel while fishing or having lunch. For cruising boats anchor "failure" is much more common at least when cruising parts of the world with difficult anchorages.
In the weedy anchorages of the Med when the wind gets above 25k about 50% of the boats drag. About half of the dragging seems due to poor execution or technique, but that still leaves 25% of boats where there anchor was not fine.
I have a boat sitting on the beach behind me that will need a crane and I know the owner would not describe his anchor as "perfectly fine".
I would urge all crusing yachts to go with the best anchoring equipment you can get.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:52   #39
Marine Service Provider

I think you'll find his anchor was most likely perfectly fine but it wasn't set up/ sized or used right rather than a shocker of an anchor.

I see many cruisers turn up here and they use some of the weirdest old school anchors and some with anchors I would regard as small for the boat. If they made it all the way down here it does mean those anchor systems can't be all bad. Surprisingly we see many Danforth types as primaries.

And don't discount the fact many places are just crappy anchorages where anything is going to struggle. We have a couple of local spots where you know as soon as the wind gets up into the 30's boats will be off all over the place. It's just a spot with very poor holding.

Anchors usually get the blame when a poorly set up system fails. Often the anchor is fine and the rest of it is bad or mis-matching. We see it a couple of times a week. People do get fixated only on the anchor.

But you are right Nolex, cruisers are recommended to get the best they can and set it up similar as they do put more reliance on anchoring systems than most others. They are the other 1% of recreational boaters.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:39   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Any anchor may be fine, proper technique may be the answer.

But poor galvanizing/construction is different issue. Manson says this rust is not something they see and that it is likely to be electrolysis. Meanwhile rocna has changed their manufacturing to china, who doesn't have the best QC reputation. Can we trust the chinese knockoffs from rocna to hold up? Is the manson rust indeed a one off occurance?
Old 14-01-2009, 13:00   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44
I bent the shank on a 45lb cqr in dead horse bay new york. It set so solid I thought I was going to leave it behind. When it did come out I thought the lights of New york were going to go out. Don't think I did anything wrong just snag up on something maybe a power line. I don't think any less of the anchor either.
Old 14-01-2009, 13:26   #42

Boat: 36' custom steel
Welds. If your anchor depends on welds to stay together, who do you want doing the welding?

I just called Suncoast. They are still making Rocna anchors and expect to continue indefinitely, except in the smaller sizes where NZ can make them cheaper. Suncoast has currently in stock both NZ and locally made Rocnas; zero China made anchors.

FWIW.

Good buddy just purchased a 45# Rocna based on my advice. Good to confirm it's North American made.

I did not confirm whether NZ will completely stop making Rocnas. Got the impression that is not definite at this point in time.
Old 14-01-2009, 15:26   #43

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
My Manson Supreme has performed flawlessly.... I have only had it since November, but we have anchored in 5 gale wind storms..... I love it..
Not sure I would want anything from China that my life depends on.
Old 14-01-2009, 20:54   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Any anchor may be fine, proper technique may be the answer.
Technique is a massive part of anchoring with any anchor but less technique is needed with the new gen ones. Over Xmas we saw some shocking examples, mostly short scoping, luckily the weather was so limp.

That's why we like the new ones so much, they are a lot more idiot proof. I don't know what it's like where you all are but I can say we are not short of water-borne idiots here

We have a Louis Vitton Cup starting here next week and that will bring out some very spooky boaters.
Old 15-01-2009, 06:19   #45

Any performance info on that Raya?
Closed Thread