Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 09:23   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Bent Manson supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Tell us about your engineering qualifications so we can all be impressed!
Lancelot BSME Purdue University '69
MSNE U of Wisconsin '70
I'm impressed /w your credentials.
Was his statement wrong? If so; how so?

Old 23-03-2011, 11:58   #77

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Down in Grenada, I noticed quite a few boats in the yard had either piled their chain and anchors on a wooden palate under the bow, or draped it over a wooden frame. I was told that they did it to keep the chain from rusting in the boat's chain locker over the summer. The yard had 24/7 security, so theft wasn't a concern.

Do it a lot on Hard standing in the Med. remove the anchors and chains and place on the ground or where ever but not on or in the boat.

It's supposed to take the weight out of the chain locker and off the keel.
Old 23-03-2011, 12:09   #78

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by betodas View Post
But that is only the North American manufacturer. I think Manson is suggesting that the worldwide manufacturing of Rocna is in China. I have no clue how true that is.

I think I read somewhere that Rocna bought the prefabricated steel from China and assembled and finished the parts in NZ. But I would not swear to it without going back on my research. Have Rocna got their own foundry in NZ ?? LOL
Old 23-03-2011, 12:31   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
I think I read somewhere that Rocna bought the prefabricated steel from China and assembled and finished the parts in NZ. But I would not swear to it without going back on my research. Have Rocna got their own foundry in NZ ?? LOL
All rocna anchors are made in China.
The materials used in both plate and castings are supplied by the factory in China.
These materials are are whatever rocna have agreed the factory can use.

These materials should match the specifications as approved by RINA.
Only testing of finished anchors by individual parties would confirm this.

Production ceased in Canada by agreement with Suncoast Marine 2 years ago.

Production ceased in New Zealand 2 years ago and is the subject of litigation between rocna and the manufacturer.
Old 23-03-2011, 12:52   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson Anchors View Post
Perhaps we should cover them in stickers rather than in galvanising??

Yes this anchor definitely does seem to be very "red". Judging by the chain colour it would possibly indicate a galvanic issue as galvanised anchors get this with boats that have earth leakage problems or insufficient zinc protection. Also there are mud areas that turn anchors black, white and red...in Korea there is an area that turns stainless steel black (not sure why, perhaps sulphur levels??). From more than 20,000 anchors manufactured last year we have had 3 customers contact us and they are 'chips' in the galvanising from transit damage.

The bent nose is a simple case of extracting a "stuck" anchor with excessive force. Its not quite a case of the unstopable force meeting the immovable object but we know the loads involved and it is well beyond what is expected of them.

We are now the only anchor to be made in New Zealand and made to certified standards. Our competitors are now made in China and Gmac can offer some intereting Rina test results with regard to broken anchors and seabed testing...its well worth a look from our point of view

As always, we're keen to hear your stories - good and bad - on our products. We know they wont always be perfect but its often the not-so-gratifying comments that help us stay at the pointy end of our game.

Manson Anchors
I would be interested to know what country manufactures the steel and stainless steel used in your anchors as of year 2011
Old 23-03-2011, 12:59   #81

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Bent Manson supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinextreme View Post
The materials used in both plate and castings are supplied by the factory in China. .....
That is about all anyone should need to know...
Old 23-03-2011, 13:13   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Hi Captain Mike and welcome to the forum. This is a very old thread, but I guess its still a pertinent topic.

The Med over winter can be rough, so much so that some claim its not safe to anchor over the winter period. I maintain it can be done safely, but you do need good anchoring equipment as you are discovering.
My rule of thumb is there will at least one 50K storm per year. (This is my fourth winter at anchor in the Med) For much of the winter I was anchored in Paros just 30nm west of you .
So far the worst we have had is 45K (I am quoting average wind speeds not gusts) , so a bit less than average although there have been a few more 35- 40K gales this year than most others.
If you continue to stay in the Med over winter at anchor get yourself a new generation anchor.
My Rocna has not dragged once.

I hope by quoting me and then stating

You are not implying I am a company representative. To make it clear, as I have stated I have no, and have never had, any connection with any anchoring or marine company.

Thanks for your input. I was not deliberately inferring that you were biased company etc I apologise if it seemed so
Old 23-03-2011, 13:39   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
Thanks for your input. I was not deliberately inferring that you were biased company etc I apologise if it seemed so
Thanks for clarifying.
It is cold and blowing 30K here at the moment and looks being the same for the next couple of days so hope you are warm and safe.
Old 23-03-2011, 14:34   #84

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Only partly on topic.

Does anyone know how much rebar is imported from China to North America each year? You know..... the reinforcement that we count on to hold up the Sky Scrapers we build and spend our days in. I don't know the answer, but don't know of Structural Engineers not allowing it in their specifications.
Just wondering.

Extemp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinextreme View Post
The materials used in both plate and castings are supplied by the factory in China.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
That is about all anyone should need to know...
Old 24-03-2011, 15:33   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for clarifying.
It is cold and blowing 30K here at the moment and looks being the same for the next couple of days so hope you are warm and safe.
Its been blowing here 6 -7+ Bf its 6 at the moment 25 March 2008 01:30 33k
but we are safe and warm in the house in Lagkada tonight and the boat Lavraki has survived the last few days quite well moored at the quay We had some damage a couple of weeks ago but that was repaired and we have moved the boat
Old 24-03-2011, 15:48   #86

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I never understand this attraction to the Med. Moor in the Mediterranean! Seems like a terrible way to secure your boat in any weather, but I suppose it maximizes the number of boats you can tie up to a stone or cement wharf with no docks. Still, if it is so rough, why not anchor off? It would seem to be safer and less hard on the boat, or is there just no room?
Old 24-03-2011, 16:34   #87
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I never understand this attraction to the Med. Moor in the Mediterranean! Seems like a terrible way to secure your boat in any weather, but I suppose it maximizes the number of boats you can tie up to a stone or cement wharf with no docks. Still, if it is so rough, why not anchor off? It would seem to be safer and less hard on the boat, or is there just no room?
Bingo! not enough room .. many times
Old 24-03-2011, 16:58   #88

Quote:
Many boats come out of the water but depending where they are you can't guarantee they are safe. In marinas its the same too many boats to look after. so no guarantees. In small harbors there is often not enough room to swing on a mooring and only a severe idiot would more outside the harbour. m#Most Harbors are positioned in natural bays and built to take the Meltemi into consideration and mooring alongside is not necessarily a good option. If there is a large space to port and starboard and the bow is to the north or NE and there is a couple of metres between the stern and the Quay you are generally quite safe. I have tried mooring in safer places Lefkada etc but to much went missing there is no guarantee on quality of guardianage unless its 24/7. In the end as I live in the Med I don't want to travel for 3 days toget to the boat and 3 days to get back home. It costs more than the airfare from uk for 2 persons and takes 3 times as long. Different if you don't live in Greece but then perhaps chartering would be better for you instead.
Old 25-03-2011, 02:44   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I agree. Med mooring is very secure, but only with a reasonable narrow range of wind directions.
It depends very much on the location, some harbors are well prorected, but with the improvements in anchor technology I believe anchoring off is often the safer and better alternative. There is no problem with room. If you want to leave the boat for an extended period of time hauling the boat on the hard is the safest option in this part of world, although I have seen a few boats blow over when we have suffered no damage at anchor.
Old 25-03-2011, 08:24   #90

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Tell us about your engineering qualifications so we can all be impressed!

Lancelot BSME Purdue University '69
MSNE U of Wisconsin '70

OH!!!! Now we need to start quoting our engineering degrees ......... in a cruising forum????

OK---- BSEE URI 71

Does that give my posts better acceptance???

Foggy
Closed Thread