Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2008, 05:33   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Bent Manson supreme

There has been some conjecture about the durability of the tip on the Manson supreme anchor.
Rocna claim the laminated tip construction of the Manson supreme is inferior to the brake pressed construction of their anchor.
I have just seen a Manson supreme with a bent and twisted tip. The anchor was on a yacht on the hard for the winter in the Med.
No idea how it was bent.
I will try and get some photos next time I go ashore.
Old 30-12-2008, 06:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here are some photos of the Manson supreme.
Note from the photo the anchors galvanizing is in a poor state which surprised me given that the anchor cannot be very old and most yachts in this part of the world spend months on the hard where I would have expected rain to provide a good freshwater rinse.
The anchor was on a Bavaria 39.
Please bear in mind that all anchors will bend in certain circumstances. There are photos on the web of CQR anchors, which are regarded as one of the stronger designs, with a bent shanks.
I have no idea how this one was bent. Many people on this forum have reported excellent results with this anchor and this is the first instance, to my knowledge, that anyone has reported any practical durability problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bent manson general small.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	6495   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent manson tip small.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	6496  

Old 30-12-2008, 07:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Please bear in mind that all anchors will bend in certain circumstances.
With large chain is is easily possible to wedge the tip and exert the full force on the tip and thus create a point load that will bend an anchor easily. A similar load exerted on the side would easily bend the shank. If your mission was to deform an anchor those would be the two easiest ways to do so. I'm not sure these photo's say very much one way or the other as far as the design goes. Once an anchor is wedged tight it can no longer align itself to afford the optimal transfer of forces from the rode. It is no longer an anchor at that point but just a hunk of metal. Too short a scope would make the effect even worse. I don't see that the galvanizing played any role in the failure.
Old 30-12-2008, 09:35   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Wow..yes that galvinizing issue is a big one in my book..

With out knowing the story, the deformation could be a herculean effort and a great praise of success to the anchor holding the boat off a lee shore in a hurricane...In that case I'd run right back out and by two more...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 30-12-2008, 11:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I don't see that the galvanizing played any role in the failure.
Yes Paul I agree. I dont think one bent anchor means much. The galvanizing issue was separate there was no wasting of the metal so I cannot see it having any bearing on the strength.
Old 31-12-2008, 02:02   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Well...we don't have the story of what happened. It could be the anchor got wedged into something and excessive force was applied and then maybe the anchor abandoned for a long time, hence the galvanized issue. Unless we are told by it's owner, we can only guess.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-12-2008, 15:35   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The anchor was on a yacht on the hard for the winter in the Med.
The photos show the anchor is definately not on a boat. Did you pull the anchor off the boat without the owners permission to take the photos?

When you came back to take the pictures was the anchor just lying there in a new spot off the boat?

If you had help from the owner laying out the anchor for the pictures, did you talk to the owner about what happened?

Was the "owner" named Craig?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
The photos show the anchor is definately not on a boat. Did you pull the anchor off the boat without the owners permission to take the photos?

When you came back to take the pictures was the anchor just lying there in a new spot off the boat?

If you had help from the owner laying out the anchor for the pictures, did you talk to the owner about what happened?

When boats are put on the hard the anchor and chain is taken off the boat and stored underneath to reduce the weight in the bow. I did move the anchor, on the ground, a couple of feet to take the photos. The boat is a charter boat and I have not spoken to the charter company/owner (they close completely for winter).
I have absolutely no connection with Craig or Rocna.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:03   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hee! Ha!...I didnt put that one togather...funny..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
That was funny. Thanx for the first CF laugh of 2009.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

noel
I've never heard of the practice of pulling the anchor & chain, not that I'm an expert of any kind in the matter. Mine is on jackstands now with 2 45 lb anchors on the pulpit and 200'+ chain in the locker. Nobody else round here has pulled theirs. I'd be concerned about theft!
thanks for clarifying.
I'm much more concerned about the rust, if you find any more info on that please post.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
..I've never heard of the practice of pulling the anchor & chain. I'm much more concerned about the rust, if you find any more info on that please post.
Down in Grenada, I noticed quite a few boats in the yard had either piled their chain and anchors on a wooden palate under the bow, or draped it over a wooden frame. I was told that they did it to keep the chain from rusting in the boat's chain locker over the summer. The yard had 24/7 security, so theft wasn't a concern.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

hud
seems like a lot to do to prevent rust. why not just hose down the chain in the locker and call it good? is this done elsewhere?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:36   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I haven't noticed the practice elsewhere, so maybe it's just a Grenada thing.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
noel
I'd be concerned about theft!
Yes it is a different environment. Fortunately theft in this part of the world is rare and usually its visitors that are the culprit.
You can still occasionally find unattended, open shops.
I tried unsuccessfully to argue with the owner last night (new years eve) that he had not charged me for a round of drinks.
Incidentally the combined total bill for my wife and I was 8 euros (about $12 USD) for all our drinks chicken, pastry nibbles. I would like to think we didn't drink much, but it was new years eve, we were there for 6 hours and home was a dingy ride away.
Entertainment was free from other cruisers including one who could juggle 7 balls and tap dance at the same time, even after the consuming the local wine.
Closed Thread