Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 01:25   #76

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: Best Anchor for my Sailboat

Instead of using tandem anchoring, how about I use the motor to reduce tension on the anchor and put on my water wings.[term for my life jacket] Again,this is for rare big blows that catch you out. Has anybody tried this? The game is to have not so much power that you slacken and tension the line constantly in quick snaps, or worse, overide the anchor.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 01:47   #77

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-125293.html

A recent discussion on the matter.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:26   #78

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Living In one of the most cyclone prone regions in North Queensland, Australia, I can tell you that the best way to ride out a cyclone is to get up a small creek & tie as many lines as possible to mangroves or whatever solid flora you can find, both sides of the creek. Leave the lines slack enough to allow for possible storm surge. In fact many of the locals refuse to drop any anchor at all as they tend to get fouled by debris carried by either the flood waters or the storm surge. We have just spent quite a few days this season sheltering from Dylan & Ita & a couple of other potential nasties. The only boats that had problems were those that relied mostly on multiple anchors. Saying that I swear by the 60lb Excel by Anchor Rite we use for all other "normal" times.
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 03:43   #79

That area is old tromping grounds for me. Cyclones seem to only go as far as Townsville. Thats why boat insurance is higher north of Mackay. Another option for boats like mine is to scramble for the nearest sandy beach and hope you didn't land at the highest tide and surge of the year.
Old 21-05-2014, 03:53   #80

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
That area is old tromping grounds for me. Cyclones seem to only go as far as Townsville. Thats why boat insurance is higher north of Mackay. Another option for boats like mine is to scramble for the nearest sandy beach and hope you didn't land at the highest tide and surge of the year.
I've been up here for over 30 years. No way would I or any other boatey even consider putting a boat up on a beach to ride out a cyclone, no matter what size it is. Say goodbye boat! WTF!

Ita & Dylan (to name just two this year) made their way a long way down the coast this year. Certainly way past Townsville ... well as far as I can interpret my geography & the cyclone tracking.

Good luck with your anchoring!
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 04:28   #81

So much for that idea. Maybe just stick to cruise liners. Took wifey on the Queen Mary 2 recently. At an observation area you can view activity on the bridge. One young guy was on watch feet stretched out looking bored. Other crew were casually walking around. I commented to my wife that they had many long boring hours interupted by moments of sheer panick. At that time, what may have been the captain, came around the corner and burst out laughting. We had force 7 winds entering the Bight but the ship hardly moved out of plumb.

Tags
anchor, sail, sailboat