Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2023, 12:20   #91

Re: Best Anchor Watch/Alert/Alarms apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
How often do you folks drag anchor?

-----

I spent some time on another person's boat and the anchor alarm was just annoying. 100% of the time it was a false alarm. If it was set not to make false alarms it was too far off the anchoring spot to be of any real use. What apparently is needed is an alarm to tell us when everyone else is dragging!
Think I moved maybe 2m about 6 months go.

I run opencpn 24/7/365 on a raspberry pi which can be viewed on laptop/phone/tablet also using signalk anchor alarm set to about 1 or 2m outside the opencpn waypoint range ring, waypoint is set to anchor position then tweaked to fit the track cos it's never right 😂

Plan to fit a relay to switch on the radar over wifi so I can keep an eye on other boats without having to get up though usually go have a look now and again if it's blowing hard. Often put a waypoint over other boats radar image to get a handle on where thier hook is & to check if they are dragging.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 14:31   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Best Anchor Watch/Alert/Alarms apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I spent some time on another person's boat and the anchor alarm was just annoying. 100% of the time it was a false alarm.
This is, unfortunately, quite common, but if you set the anchor alarm correctly where the alarm centre is over the anchor you will not experience any false alarms.

An anchor alarm, correctly set, is an invaluable tool, continually monitoring your position.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor