Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 16:13   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: Best beaches to anchor/moor by in NY/NJ/CT tri-state area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
It's a little deep... 6 feet. But I did look into Fire Island. Great recommendation!

Are there any special anchorages or can I anchor anywhere out of the channel?
There's no special anchorages there, but there's also no really protected place. The weather is usually from the south, so you're protected from that. But you got ferries and power boats running through there, and they don't care about your comfort or safety. I'm going to assume your mat height isn't an issue, but the bridge is supposed to be 65'. Last summer they had scaffolding underneath it. It's skinny water in there so stay in the channels. I don't believe there are any places to land a dinghy.

Just west of the Robert Moses causeway, there is a state park boat basin. I think the limit is 40'. You can't overnight, and it's first come first serve. I believe it's $10, and you can walk across to the beach. You can anchor in the Sore Thumb which is a little cove as you enter Fire Island inlet. It's deep enough inside, but shallow on the entrance, you got to hug the rocks on the west side. You can anchor there at night. It gets crazy with boats during the day on the weekend, but it's usually small power boats that clear out in the afternoon.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:08   #17

Boat: Tartan 37C

This list is from west to east of great south shore "towns". I really recommend that you get a slip in advance. Kismet, Atlantique, Ocean Beach, Sailors Haven, Watch Hill. I like Ocean Beach the best.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:54   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Luke, as CaptTom said above, ActiveCaptain is your best bet for specific information on anchoring. It is now run by Garmin (free) and overlays points of interest for mariners on a nautical chart including navigational hazards, harbor master contact info, anchorage locations with reviews, marinas including amenities like fuel, bathroom, haul-out facilities, etc.
https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/
Between Navionics Boating app and ActiveCaptain, there's sooo much info! The only thing is that Garmin wants a lot of $$$ for the charts on the app. The website is obviously free. Navionics is only $50/year or so.

But awesome info! Found a cool, new place to anchor for this upcoming weekend. Thanks again!!
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
This list is from west to east of great south shore "towns". I really recommend that you get a slip in advance. Kismet, Atlantique, Ocean Beach, Sailors Haven, Watch Hill. I like Ocean Beach the best.
Nice list... definitely will book a slip in advance.

Thanks for the recommendations!!
Old 15-06-2020, 20:55   #20

Western Long Island Sound Options that roughly fit your distance criteria:

1: Oyster Bay NY ( good spots are all the way in and around anchored up by bayville, cold spring harbor - very cool cold springs filter up through the water, the sand pit - only attempt to enter near high tide on a rising tide with that draft.)

2: Northport - anchored by Ashorken

3: Port Jefferson NY - pirates cove ( you have to go during the week, locals are very unfriendly to you grabbing an unused mooring so plan to anchor. It gets really crowded in here on weeeknds)

4: Norwalk Islands (Coops Island Harbor - look at copps Island on a chart and you will see a small protected cove. There is a big rock in the center of the entrance and rocks lining the outside of the entrance. They are well charted and you can run between them. Good swimming and very protected from prevailing sw breeze, Cockeene Island , Zeiglers Cove)

5: Captains Islands off Greenwich again are very protected from prevailing SW Breeze.

Too close the the city and the water gets dirtier. Sound gets progressively cleaner as you work East.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 21:21   #21

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlySailor View Post
Western Long Island Sound Options that roughly fit your distance criteria:

1: Oyster Bay NY ( good spots are all the way in and around anchored up by bayville, cold spring harbor - very cool cold springs filter up through the water, the sand pit - only attempt to enter near high tide on a rising tide with that draft.)

2: Northport - anchored by Ashorken

3: Port Jefferson NY - pirates cove ( you have to go during the week, locals are very unfriendly to you grabbing an unused mooring so plan to anchor. It gets really crowded in here on weeeknds)

4: Norwalk Islands (Coops Island Harbor - look at copps Island on a chart and you will see a small protected cove. There is a big rock in the center of the entrance and rocks lining the outside of the entrance. They are well charted and you can run between them. Good swimming and very protected from prevailing sw breeze, Cockeene Island , Zeiglers Cove)

5: Captains Islands off Greenwich again are very protected from prevailing SW Breeze.

Too close the the city and the water gets dirtier. Sound gets progressively cleaner as you work East.
If you go to port Jefferson, skip the cove and anchor just outside the cove or to the west of the inlet. Pirates cove is a toilet.....

If Venturing East is in the cards head to RI and stop by watch hill. Anchor in watch hill the dinghy over and walk over the dunes to a fabulous beach..... Napatree beach.

Enjoy!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 21:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
If you go to port Jefferson, skip the cove and anchor just outside the cove or to the west of the inlet. Pirates cove is a toilet.....

If Venturing East is in the cards head to RI and stop by watch hill. Anchor in watch hill the dinghy over and walk over the dunes to a fabulous beach..... Napatree beach.

Enjoy!
Greg
One thing to consider is entering watch hill with that draft is adventurous at low tide. We had to depart last year at low tide for a weather window (we draw just under 7 feet) and had between 2 feet and .5 feet under the keel for a majority of the trip out the channel. We touched bottom and got stuck right at the entrance in the middle of the channel. There was some shoaling right as you come around the corner of the point after passing green #1.

If you are going to head out that way there are a ton of good destinations. Personally if you can do it skip the sound and cruise around the fishers island , shelter island, watch hull, block part of the world. It’s alittle further but Chttyhunk holds a special place in my heart.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 03:00   #23

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlySailor View Post
One thing to consider is entering watch hill with that draft is adventurous at low tide. We had to depart last year at low tide for a weather window (we draw just under 7 feet) and had between 2 feet and .5 feet under the keel for a majority of the trip out the channel. We touched bottom and got stuck right at the entrance in the middle of the channel. There was some shoaling right as you come around the corner of the point after passing green #1.

If you are going to head out that way there are a ton of good destinations. Personally if you can do it skip the sound and cruise around the fishers island , shelter island, watch hull, block part of the world. It’s alittle further but Chttyhunk holds a special place in my heart.
Agree...... I keep my boat in Mt Sinai and every summer we head East and spend time cruising that whole area..... this year we plan to make cutty hunk part of our loop!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 21:00   #24

Thanks, guys!! I'm looking into all the places you recommended. My last trip was this past weekend... went to Brooklyn. Sailed to Dead Horse Bay / Gerritsen Creek / Deep Creek. Fun trip... stayed overnight. No trouble anchoring in 11-14 feet. Used the SUP (Stand-Up Paddle Board) and had a blast... anchor held well overnight. Woke up next day, flew the drone, ate breakfast, and then sailed back to home marina... 2.5 hours there the day before and 3.0 hours back home the next day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brooklyn.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	217605   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06 Anchoring.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	217606  

Old 17-06-2020, 21:14   #25

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

You were asking for blue, clear water. Is it actually blue and clear anywhere in the LIS? It’s a strongly tidal system, and there’s a lot of silt in the water. We like to swim around here (a little later in the season perhaps, water is still cold), but anywhere you can anchor well - it’s mostly mud, with visibility a few feet.
Am I totally off, does anyone know places nearby where one can anchor and swim in clear and blue water?
Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor