Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2021, 09:29   #1

Boat: (Contessa 26, Nicholson 35), Norseman 400
Best Fluid Grease for Maxwell-Nilsson V1000 Windlass Gearbox

We have a Maxwell-Nilsson V1000 anchor windlass on our 1989 boat. We're very happy with it and it's been effective and reliable during our 10+ years of ownership. I service it regularly and each time I've opened up the gearbox I've refilled it from a stock of grease which I bought years ago from James Nilsson in New Zealand along with an order of spare parts.

I now need to buy some more gearbox grease. The original manual calls for “Castrol TC fluid grease or equivalent” and the supply I received from James Nilsson was described as “Grade 00”. Our boat is currently in Tunisia where international shipments are unreliable, and I'd like to buy an equivalent grease locally if possible.

I know there are still many V1000 windlasses out there. I'd be very interested to hear what equivalent fluid grease other owners have been using, and which ones you would recommend.

Many thanks for your help, Simon
simonthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:18   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Best Fluid Grease for Maxwell-Nilsson V1000 Windlass Gearbox

I had to rebuild part of my Maxwell windlass a couple of years ago. I ran into the same problem: Castrol TC is like the dodo bird. After a lot of checking around, I discovered that 00 gear lube is readily available. Used for things like steering gear boxes, golf carts, etc. All the sources were US, nobody local stocked anything similar. Couldn’t order less than a liter for $16. Mostly available in small bottles or big containers. I’ve still got half the bottle left for if I live long enough to do the windlass again.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

00 is readily available in the US, in quarts.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Grease-Va...3794717&sr=8-8

But you're in Tunisia. The question becomes whether you might substitute 90 weight gear oil, which is more widely available. It has a lower viscosity, but your windlass is low temperature and low speed relative to other gearboxes, and probably low impact as well. You do regular maintenance on your windlass (That's a concept!). I don't think that you are going to do it any harm by switching.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Castrol TC is like the dodo bird. After a lot of checking around, I discovered that 00 gear lube is readily available. Used for things like steering gear boxes, golf carts, etc. All the sources were US, nobody local stocked anything similar.
Thanks Bycrick. Your experience sounds similar to ours. What I'm really looking for is an alternative gear oil as I don't think I'll be able to get hold of 00 gear lube in Tunisia. You're right, though, that a small quantity can last a very long time.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
00 is readily available in the US, in quarts.

But you're in Tunisia. The question becomes whether you might substitute 90 weight gear oil, which is more widely available. It has a lower viscosity, but your windlass is low temperature and low speed relative to other gearboxes, and probably low impact as well. You do regular maintenance on your windlass (That's a concept!). I don't think that you are going to do it any harm by switching.
Thanks for your response tkeithlu. That's exactly the kind of helpful suggestion I'm looking for. In the absence of other ideas I'll look out for 90 weight gear oil, and open up the gearbox again at the end of the season to check all's well.

I was also hoping to hear from others who may have actually had to use alternative lubes on their own boats if anyone has had that experience.

Tags
gear, gearbox, maxwell, nilsson, wind, windlass