Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 17:45   #16

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Best rope for anchor rode

Polyester? Really. I know it floats and splices nicely, but isn't it hard to knot and stiff as hell for small anchor lockers?
Old 31-12-2014, 17:54   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Polyester? Really. I know it floats and splices nicely, but isn't it hard to knot and stiff as hell for small anchor lockers?
Polyester is otherwise known as Dacron. Typically found on boats as double braid, for things like jib sheets. And unless I'm mistaken, you're referring to polyethylene, AKA water ski tow rope. Or something of that ilk. Does the stuff which you're describing have like zero UV resistance? If so it's likely in the water ski tow rope family.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:11   #18

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Right you are. Polyethylene what I was thinking of. doh
Old 31-12-2014, 18:11   #19

Boat: Balboa 27

My favorite is used climbing ropes. They are designed to be dynamic (controlled stretch to absorb shock) by nature, strong (5000 lbs minimum for 10mm), extremely supple compared to marine line, and cheap. Climbers typically discard ropes every year or tow after they've taken a certain number of falls, and you can pick up a 200' rope for $40.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 00:08   #20

Climbing ropes were on my short list, gear wise, years ago when I had a small boat. Do you find yourself needing to use different types of knots due to their slipperiness? That, & does their hydtrophobic coating affect how you use them, & if so, in what way?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Right you are. Polyethylene what I was thinking of. doh
Polypropylene.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:16   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you wish for the anchor rope to work in a rope/chain windlass, 3-strand is the best, followed more distantly by brait/octoplait (some gypsies work well with it, while others do not). Any of the other types of rope mentioned here will not work in a rope/chain gypsy.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Climbing ropes were on my short list, gear wise, years ago when I had a small boat. Do you find yourself needing to use different types of knots due to their slipperiness? That, & does their hydtrophobic coating affect how you use them, & if so, in what way?
I use the same suite of knots whether climbing or sailing: clove hitch, figure 8, double fisherman's, and bowline.

I also use (new) static climbing line in various diameters for all my running rigging. It's significantly cheaper than sailing specific line.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:26   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Guys/Gals; Happy New Year.
1) Polyprop is not recommended for tropical use - it fails swiftly with UV degradation.
If you look on eBay you'll see plenty of ex-Royal Navy polyprop lines that have reached what the RN call their sell-by date. There is good reason for that bargain.
2) Climbing ropes are not good for rigging on a cruiser. They have too much stretch. I grant that for smaller boats you may get away with them. I also buy used climbing ropes (generally 9.5-10.5mm dia) and use them for all sort of applications - but never for rigging, altho' in an emergency I would use anything.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
2) Climbing ropes are not good for rigging on a cruiser. They have too much stretch. I grant that for smaller boats you may get away with them. I also buy used climbing ropes (generally 9.5-10.5mm dia) and use them for all sort of applications - but never for rigging, altho' in an emergency I would use anything.
There are 3 types of climbing rope:

1) dynamic ropes used for lead climbing. These have a large amount of stretch to absorb shock loads, and work well for mooring pendants dock lines and anchor line. Easily bought used. Typically 9-11mm; standard lengths are 50, 60, and 70 meters
2) static rope. No/low stretch. Used for top roping, canyoneering, and rapelling. Typically found in the same diameters and lengths as dynamic rope mentioned above. This is what I use for halyards and jib sheets.
if you have a local climbing gym there's a good chance you can get all the static and dynamic rope you want as they tend to replace ropes often for insurance reasons.
3) accessory cord. Also no/low stretch. Used for various rigging purposes. Comes in diameters of 3-8 mm including 5-6mm vectran. This is what I use for running rigging like reefing lines. I'll probably use the vectran version when I relace my standing rigging. There's a new 3mm vectran available that's rated at over 3000 lbs that I'll probably use to replace my lifelines at some point. One of the big advantages of climbing cord over something like sta-set is that it comes in a gazilllion different colors.

Another useful climbing material is tubular webbing, which comes in 9/16" nad 1" widths. This is the perfect material for jacklines, and a lot of folks also use it for shore ties in the northwest.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best rope for anchor rode

Multi plait Rocks...
Pretty easy to chain splice.. stows really well unlike most 3 braids..
Luv the stuff.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37   #27

Thanks for the tip on where to source used climbing ropes. In return, a suggestion/bit of wisdom. I'd suggest something a wee bit thicker than 3mm for your lifelines, even if it is Vectran & rated at 1.5 tons. As a guy who's caught himself from going for an accidental swim thanks to said magical perimeter around the boat, it's nice to have something big enough to get a grip on if you need to. And I've tried it on 3mm (550 cord), it ain't easy. But then adding in a Samthane coating, & that 12 strand weave, good luck.

Plus there are other things to consider like UV (which is a big vote for Spectra, it laughs at el Sol), abrasion, etc. So perhaps you might go with 6mm, or even 8mm. It's not as if you've got a lot of lineal real estate, life line wise. Oh, & of course I'm fairly certain that you'd know to use chafe covers where it goes through the stanchions. Which is especially important, as they're looking at nixing Spectra lifelines on race boats, due to chafe induced failures.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:45   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Susswein.
I just learnt something new.......and even worse I belonged to the University climbing club many, many years ago! I buy my used climbing ropes used from eBay. As liveaboards it is always 'fun' shopping for items and getting them delivered. Unfortunately, our boat (45' cat) is a little too large / fat to use them extensively on. However, they get cut up for all sorts of uses and the kids are always disappearing with them for various projects. All our fenders use climbing ropes, dinghies are secured for sea using them, more lengths are used (with chain) on the dinghy anchors, they are used for dinghy hoisting, scuba tanks are hung off the stern when diving, on the rare occasion that we tow a dinghy the climbing ropes are used and they are pretty cheap to buy used. We have always some to hand.
Thank you for the info......shall now be on the look out for the largest diameter as an emergency halyard.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:57   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
You have not done your homework, have you.

E.g. LIROS GmbHÂ*|Â*Details

Dacron ropes do not float, are not stiff.

Maybe you mean polypropylene.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:54   #30

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I also use retired climbing ropes. (after 75 feet of chain) They spaghetti much easier in the locker and the price is right.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode, rope